“Don't miss this dinner in the Hunter”

Restaurant Botanica
Ranked #7 of 83 Restaurants in Pokolbin
Price range: USD 35 - USD 42
Cuisines: Mediterranean, Australian, Contemporary
Good for: Special Occasion Dining, Local cuisine, Romantic
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, After-hours, Delivery, Reservations
Description: Modern Australian yet regionally distinctive in style, the menu at Restaurant Botanica is focused on seasonality and freshness, perfectly complemented by an award-winning wine list and stunning views looking out across our private vineyard to the Brokenback Mountain Range. The restaurant's very own kitchen garden is the source of many of the herbs and vegetables that add a wholesome and healthy dimension to the dishes.
Reviewed 24 March 2015

Amazing dinner not only plated spectacularly but followed through with amazing flavour, enjoyed all three courses and certainly did not disappoint. Botanica is certainly a place to add to the Hunter to do list for a brilliant and enjoyable dinner.

Date of visit: March 2015
Write a ReviewReviews (1,200)

Reviewed 24 March 2015

We visited the Hunter Valley as part of my Dad's 7 week holiday to Australia from the UK. My Dad is a HUGE foodie and declared on our way to the airport last weekend the meal we had at Botanica was the best he had had during his stay (& we have been to 21 restaurants in that time!!)
Not only was the food second to none, the staff were amazing and totally faultless. The feel you get when you walk into Botanica was like you were in someone's house - a very comfortable, and relaxed environment to eat a beautiful meal in.
I am a vegetarian and my choice was perfect (not the usual boring and thoughtless goats cheese tart or salad!) clearly a lot of thought had gone into the menu which was very much appreciated. I am also a pudding freak (I always check the puddings before my main to see what I want/gauge how much I can eat prior to pudding arriving!) and the pudding here was the best pudding I have ever had.....ever!
Just to put this into context, and to prove no bias, we went to Muse on our first night in the Hunter (which was lovely) however, as an overall experience, and without this being over critical of Muse - the food, staff and experience were much, much better at Botanica.
My Dad has gone home with a very happy memory of a very beautiful place in every sense of the word. Not only does Botanica deserve to be voted the best restaurant in the Hunter, it deserves a Hat!
Can't wait to come back again soon!

Date of visit: February 2015
Reviewed 22 March 2015

We stayed at Spicers so booked in to their restaurant and thoroughly enjoyed our meal. Portions were quite small, but very tasty. Service was a little unpolished, but that was more than compensated for by the friendliness of the staff. Overall we thought the food was excellent quality, well prepared. and very good value for money.

Date of visit: March 2015
Reviewed 21 March 2015 via mobile

Excellent excellent excellent.
Managing service. Claire looked after us so well the other night. Good amazing. Can't wait to go back!

Reviewed 19 March 2015

We were staying next door at Spicers so were really pleased to find how close such a highly recommended restaurant was so that we could walk.

Booked a table for with our friends visiting from the UK. We sat down at 7.00pm and ordered as soon as we could our first courses did not arrive until 8.15. Then our main courses did not appear at 9.15 and I tried to catch the eye of the waiting staff with no luck and actually had to go and find someone to find out what was happening.

I was informed by this person that there was a bit of a mix up in the kitchen and our food would be arriving soon, she already knew this without checking our order. Why were we not informed to manage our expectation?

When the food finally arrived on each occasion it was very nice but there comes a time when you have been waiting so long that you are not really not sure you want to eat so late in the evening.

I hate to write a bad review, especially as the waiting staff were so pleasant and it was not their fault. I believe there were two big parties that evening - a table of 16 and a table of 20+

The restaurant is quite large so no real trouble with noise.

However, I feel that reservation staff should manage the booking process so that when there are large parties involved they involve more staff, stagger bookings and manage the expectation of the customers.

I hate to write a bad review, especially as the staff were kind enough to take the cost of our wine from the bill, but sometimes feedback is necessary in order to give an establishment the chance to rectify the faults so that other people do not experience the same mistakes.

The highlight of the evening was the food and the fantastic electric storm!

Date of visit: January 2015