Lowest prices for your stay
AU$208
Priceline
Go to your Happy Price
The Gypsy Club
Paola, Malta
Needs an upgrade
3.0 of 5 bubblesReviewed 23 Feb 2023
Stayed here with family for a night while going on a wine tour in Hunter Valley. The hotel itself is OK, the restaurant and breakfast was good, nice service. The rooms are somewhat dated and could do with an upgrade. The worst part, is the location of the rooms, all with outside corridors which were quite dirty and various insects and such on the floors. It gave the hotel a cheap motel feeling.
Date of stay: February 2023
No prepayment needed
7.9 km from Mercure Hunter Valley Gardens
View more hotels in Pokolbin
1,244 results
All reviews sunken bath hunter valley gardens elements restaurant walking distance private courtyard shopping village reception staff buffet breakfast king bed hope estate central location two night stay wineries wedding hv cellar sydney
Selected filters
Reviewed 6 February 2023 via mobile

There is a certain level of expectation for a room rate of $289 per night

Positives:

Good location, friendly staff, great pool area

Negatives:

Very small & uncomfortable double beds. I am 175cm tall & my hubby is 185cm, average sized and our feet were hanging off the end of the bed. The mattress was hard and uncomfortable so not a nice sleep. Not too bad for 2 kids sharing but not adults. I recently stayed at a Rydges Hotel (lower nightly room rate but they had the best mattresses, hence a good nights rest and no aching back the next morning).

Also the room is very dark & dated, scuff marks on the walls & bathroom cabinetry damaged. Shampoo ran out after 1 shower. Also the verandas and stairs need a good clean, not very welcoming. So overall quite disappointed with the value for money.

Having just read through other reviews I’m now wondering if we will be refunded our $10 credit card hold.

So note to self, read the reviews before booking

Date of stay: February 2023
Trip type: Travelled with family
Julie Pettit, General Manager at Mercure Hunter Valley Gardens, responded to this reviewResponded 9 February 2023

Thank you for your feedback. Delighted you had a nice time.

We have new beds in the room, but it is hard to satisfy all tastes. Our Accor experience beds, can be complimented with an additional topper if you prefer as slightly softer bed. Something to speak to us about when next you travel.

This year we are doing a painting refresh of our hotel, look out for this improvement.

The $10 pre authorisation is refunded by the banking institution you bank with. Should be no more than 7-10 days depending on the institution.

Thank you for your feedback.

Reviewed 20 January 2023 via mobile

We are a family of 4 (including 2 young children) and stayed one night. There are a few improvements which could be done, change the twin rooms to have queens beds or at least one queen bed as double beds are pretty small for 2 adults, clean the balcony area, and decal the shower heads. We didn't eat dinner at the restaurant as did feel it catered for children. Otherwise the room was overall comfortable, the staff were friendly and helpful, we got to check-in early, breakfast was awesome, the gardens are gorgeous, and from the kids point of view the free games room rocked!

Room tip: We were in The Hunter to visit the Hunter Valley Gardens and compared to the last time we went at NYE, mid Jan was much more relaxed as less people.
Trip type: Travelled with family

Thank you for your feedback, Tanya.
Highlight recommend with small children trying our king rooms with a sofa bed. Works nicely and gives the adults a bit of extra room.
We have just done a decal on the shower screens, yes, they were due, I apologise.
Thank you for your information and hope to see you again sooner.

Reviewed 16 January 2023

Can't say enough about how lovely and helpful the staff were. All had good energy and genuine smile without being too intrusive and overservicing. The food for dinner and breakfast was great value. The location is brilliant with easy access to the Hunter Valley Gardens shopping village and the gardens in general. Sunday morning I had the pleasure of watching the Balloon Tours prepare and leave across the road. The gardens and surrounds are fantastic and proximity to the wineries and fudge factory perfect. The only blemish in the experience was the scent of cleaning products after each room servicing. But at the same time reassuring that they are doing a good job cleaning post pandemic. Great stay and would definitely recommend to my friends.

Room tip: There is no minibar so feel free to shop at the local winderies for your checuterie and mini-bottles of wine. De Bortoli is close by.
  • Trip type: Travelled with friends
Julie Pettit, General Manager at Mercure Hunter Valley Gardens, responded to this reviewResponded 10 February 2023

Thank you for your feedback Davorf2014.
Delighted you had a lovely time at Mercure Resort Hunter Valley Gardens and the Hunter Valley.
See you again soon.

Reviewed 11 January 2023

A few things to note about our stay:
- Absolutely filthy bathroom, mould everywhere in the shower and the exhaust fan was also coated in dust (see photos).
- Our balcony was also dirty and unusable.
- Furniture close to breaking in the room.
- Phone also did not work.
We had not noticed the state of the shower until later in the evening, otherwise we would have walked to reception to tell them (as the phone didn’t work).
We notified the reception desk when checking out and passed on the photos attached to the managers phone. We still have not heard back from them after three business days.

Trip type: Travelled with friends
1  Thank 245elysen
Julie Pettit, General Manager at Mercure Hunter Valley Gardens, responded to this reviewResponded 15 January 2023

Hi Elise,
I understand you have spoken to our Front Office Manager, Karen already.
I trust she was able to respond to your feedback and apologise on our behalf for the presentation of your room.
Thank you for your feedback and allowing us to improve.
Julie

Reviewed 29 December 2022 via mobile

I thought that we might arrive to late for check in so I call to inform the reception staff of this, I was at this point asked to pay up front for both nights accomodation for both rooms (I had no issue doing this) we arrived earlier than I had thought so we were able to check in, at this point an additional amount of $10 was put onto my card as a security bond, this has not yet been refunded. We all had the buffet breakfast 3 adults and 1 child aged 3, the charge for the breakfast was added to the room as to be expected, but $140! I find this to be extremely excessive as the quality of the food was very poor and definitely not worth $140. After checking out on the 23rd, while having breakfast (elsewhere) I got alerted that a charge of $638 had been taken from my account, I finished breakfast (that was very nice and worth $140) and phoned the reception desk at the Mercure to ask about the charge, as no one had called me to inform me of what had happened. I was told that it was a mistake and had wrongly been charged again for the second room and that this would be reversed straight away, when this did not happen I called again and was told "So sorry my bad, I cant refund till later when the manager gets in". I was on a tight schedule with my family (visiting from overseas) and could not wait so I came back to the hotel and asked for the refund, the duty manager came out, he was very abrupt, he asked for my card and put a refund through for $498 saying that has deducted breakfast from the amount. No apologies from him! I have yet to see this refund in my account or the refund for the original $10 deposit!
In addition to all of this, when i had a shower in the morning of 22nd I left the towels I used on the floor, only to find that they had been picked up and put on the rack to be re used, if I had wished to reuse them I would have placed then on the rack my self and NOT on the floor, in the other room the bed wasn't even made. As my daughter works in housekeeping I am very aware how demanding this job is and had a tip ready to leave had our rooms been done, I in this instance did not leave a tip as I always do (enough said!).
At the time I did not complain about this as I said I am painfully aware how difficult the job is, but in these times, especially I would have thought that this would be a little better.

Date of stay: December 2022
Trip type: Travelled with family
Julie Pettit, General Manager at Mercure Hunter Valley Gardens, responded to this reviewResponded 30 December 2022

Dear Tina,

Thank you for taking the time to tell us about your experience at the Mercure Resort Hunter Valley Gardens.

We have received the other two today you have sent through different channels to communicate your feedback. Alex, our Rooms Division Manager has been asked to reach out to you directly.