Lowest prices for your stay
ZenHotels.com
AU$154
davor f
Sydney, Australia

Great location, Great staff.

4.0 of 5 bubblesReviewed 15 Jan 2023
Can't say enough about how lovely and helpful the staff were. All had good energy and genuine smile without being too intrusive and overservicing. The food for dinner and breakfast was great value. The location is brilliant with easy access to the Hunter Valley Gardens shopping village and the gardens in general. Sunday morning I had the pleasure of watching the Balloon Tours prepare and leave across the road. The gardens and surrounds are fantastic and proximity to the wineries and fudge factory perfect. The only blemish in the experience was the scent of cleaning products after each room servicing. But at the same time reassuring that they are doing a good job cleaning post pandemic. Great stay and would definitely recommend to my friends.
Date of stay: January 2023
Room Tip: There is no minibar so feel free to shop at the local winderies for your checuterie and...
Trip type: Travelled with friends
4.0 of 5 bubblesValue
5.0 of 5 bubblesLocation
5.0 of 5 bubblesService
Responded 9 Feb 2023
Thank you for your feedback Davorf2014.
Delighted you had a lovely time at Mercure Resort Hunter Valley Gardens and the Hunter Valley.
See you again soon.
  • eDreams
8.3 km from Mercure Hunter Valley Gardens
View more hotels in Pokolbin
1,244 results
All reviews sunken bath hunter valley gardens elements restaurant walking distance private courtyard shopping village reception staff buffet breakfast king bed hope estate central location two night stay wineries wedding hv cellar sydney
Selected filters
Reviewed 11 January 2023

A few things to note about our stay:
- Absolutely filthy bathroom, mould everywhere in the shower and the exhaust fan was also coated in dust (see photos).
- Our balcony was also dirty and unusable.
- Furniture close to breaking in the room.
- Phone also did not work.
We had not noticed the state of the shower until later in the evening, otherwise we would have walked to reception to tell them (as the phone didn’t work).
We notified the reception desk when checking out and passed on the photos attached to the managers phone. We still have not heard back from them after three business days.

Date of stay: January 2023
Trip type: Travelled with friends
1  Thank 245elysen
Julie Pettit, General Manager at Mercure Hunter Valley Gardens, responded to this reviewResponded 15 January 2023

Hi Elise,
I understand you have spoken to our Front Office Manager, Karen already.
I trust she was able to respond to your feedback and apologise on our behalf for the presentation of your room.
Thank you for your feedback and allowing us to improve.
Julie

Reviewed 29 December 2022 via mobile

I thought that we might arrive to late for check in so I call to inform the reception staff of this, I was at this point asked to pay up front for both nights accomodation for both rooms (I had no issue doing this) we arrived earlier than I had thought so we were able to check in, at this point an additional amount of $10 was put onto my card as a security bond, this has not yet been refunded. We all had the buffet breakfast 3 adults and 1 child aged 3, the charge for the breakfast was added to the room as to be expected, but $140! I find this to be extremely excessive as the quality of the food was very poor and definitely not worth $140. After checking out on the 23rd, while having breakfast (elsewhere) I got alerted that a charge of $638 had been taken from my account, I finished breakfast (that was very nice and worth $140) and phoned the reception desk at the Mercure to ask about the charge, as no one had called me to inform me of what had happened. I was told that it was a mistake and had wrongly been charged again for the second room and that this would be reversed straight away, when this did not happen I called again and was told "So sorry my bad, I cant refund till later when the manager gets in". I was on a tight schedule with my family (visiting from overseas) and could not wait so I came back to the hotel and asked for the refund, the duty manager came out, he was very abrupt, he asked for my card and put a refund through for $498 saying that has deducted breakfast from the amount. No apologies from him! I have yet to see this refund in my account or the refund for the original $10 deposit!
In addition to all of this, when i had a shower in the morning of 22nd I left the towels I used on the floor, only to find that they had been picked up and put on the rack to be re used, if I had wished to reuse them I would have placed then on the rack my self and NOT on the floor, in the other room the bed wasn't even made. As my daughter works in housekeeping I am very aware how demanding this job is and had a tip ready to leave had our rooms been done, I in this instance did not leave a tip as I always do (enough said!).
At the time I did not complain about this as I said I am painfully aware how difficult the job is, but in these times, especially I would have thought that this would be a little better.

Date of stay: December 2022
Trip type: Travelled with family
Julie Pettit, General Manager at Mercure Hunter Valley Gardens, responded to this reviewResponded 30 December 2022

Dear Tina,

Thank you for taking the time to tell us about your experience at the Mercure Resort Hunter Valley Gardens.

We have received the other two today you have sent through different channels to communicate your feedback. Alex, our Rooms Division Manager has been asked to reach out to you directly.

Reviewed 7 December 2022 via mobile

Positives: Pool area, easy check-in, proximity to Hunter Valley Gardens and other attractions, comfy beds

Cons:
* sink was blocked in our room. I told staff out of courtesy when checking out, and there was no apologies, or “thanks for letting us know”. Instead I was met with - “you need to twist and remove the plug”. I tried that… that didn’t work, and I could tell it was blocked with the horrible smell in our bathroom the entire stay
* some staff were lovely but others miserable! When politely telling one of the bar staff I was taking my wine to the pool area (to make sure that was ok) she huffed at me and didn’t say anything - just put it in a plastic glass and literally walked away. So rude!
* mould on the curtains in our rooms
* pool area tiles are missing right next to the kids pool - sharp bits of concrete exposed. This is a safety hazard!
* emergency evacuation plan missing from the back of our door - another safety hazard
* no coat hangers in our room - surely you can purchase some more? They’re so inexpensive
* no compendium in our room
* weeds everywhere

We were married here in 2016 and were surprised at how dated and run down it now is. Such a shame because it has such potential!

Date of stay: December 2022
Trip type: Travelled with family
Julie Pettit, General Manager at Mercure Hunter Valley Gardens, responded to this reviewResponded 9 February 2023

Hi Laurenelise8,
Not good enough service from our team. They were in the middle of training new staff and under extreme pressure at this time. However, no excuses, our management team were working with them, but these things take time. You will note feedback about our team has improved since your stay.
Work has started on improvements on our property. Tiles have been replaced at the pool when you reported them, thank you and all items mentioned for your room have been resolved. Telling us at reception, despite the reaction on this occasion from the staff member does help us improve. thank you.

Reviewed 18 October 2022 via mobile

Did not honour prepaid booking which was cancelled due to the covid pandemic.
The hotel is tired and in need of a freshen up. Really just a glorified motel
Would suggest other more comfortable and picturesque accommodation in the area but if you do go remember to take your own shower cap. None supplied at this place.
To top our stay off the leaf blower woke us up early in the morning
Won’t be back

Date of stay: October 2022
Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Reviewed 17 October 2022

We booked and paid in March 2022 for our stay in 0ctober 2022 (our nephews wedding) When we arrived we were horrified to find our booking was not even on the books(Thank goodness we had thought to print the confirmation email)They did find us a room but I have to wonder if someone else had to be "bumped off" the books due to this
Their dinning prices are hugely expensive The minimum cost is $79 pp for dinner WITHOUT drinks (As such we "ran" down the road to the pub)
The rooms are OK but certainly not up to the standard you would expect for the prices charged
Not even the advertised minibar facilities (you get that at a cheap pub)
NEEDS A HUGE RE-VAMP ALL AROUND