Lowest prices for your stay
Get rewarded with One Key
Hotels.com
Get rewarded with One Key
TinaPatruno
Sydney, Australia

Do not recommend this place

1.0 of 5 bubblesReviewed 28 Dec 2022via mobile
I thought that we might arrive to late for check in so I call to inform the reception staff of this, I was at this point asked to pay up front for both nights accomodation for both rooms (I had no issue doing this) we arrived earlier than I had thought so we were able to check in, at this point an additional amount of $10 was put onto my card as a security bond, this has not yet been refunded. We all had the buffet breakfast 3 adults and 1 child aged 3, the charge for the breakfast was added to the room as to be expected, but $140! I find this to be extremely excessive as the quality of the food was very poor and definitely not worth $140. After checking out on the 23rd, while having breakfast (elsewhere) I got alerted that a charge of $638 had been taken from my account, I finished breakfast (that was very nice and worth $140) and phoned the reception desk at the Mercure to ask about the charge, as no one had called me to inform me of what had happened. I was told that it was a mistake and had wrongly been charged again for the second room and that this would be reversed straight away, when this did not happen I called again and was told "So sorry my bad, I cant refund till later when the manager gets in". I was on a tight schedule with my family (visiting from overseas) and could not wait so I came back to the hotel and asked for the refund, the duty manager came out, he was very abrupt, he asked for my card and put a refund through for $498 saying that has deducted breakfast from the amount. No apologies from him! I have yet to see this refund in my account or the refund for the original $10 deposit!
In addition to all of this, when i had a shower in the morning of 22nd I left the towels I used on the floor, only to find that they had been picked up and put on the rack to be re used, if I had wished to reuse them I would have placed then on the rack my self and NOT on the floor, in the other room the bed wasn't even made. As my daughter works in housekeeping I am very aware how demanding this job is and had a tip ready to leave had our rooms been done, I in this instance did not leave a tip as I always do (enough said!).
At the time I did not complain about this as I said I am painfully aware how difficult the job is, but in these times, especially I would have thought that this would be a little better.
Date of stay: December 2022
Trip type: Travelled with family
Responded 29 Dec 2022
Dear Tina,

Thank you for taking the time to tell us about your experience at the Mercure Resort Hunter Valley Gardens.

We have received the other two today you have sent through different channels to communicate your feedback. Alex, our Rooms Division Manager has been asked to reach out to you directly.

Julie at Mercure
    AU$149
6.4 km from Mercure Hunter Valley Gardens
View more hotels in Pokolbin
1,244 results
All reviews sunken bath hunter valley gardens elements restaurant walking distance private courtyard shopping village reception staff buffet breakfast king bed hope estate central location two night stay wineries wedding hv cellar sydney
Selected filters
Reviewed 7 December 2022 via mobile

Positives: Pool area, easy check-in, proximity to Hunter Valley Gardens and other attractions, comfy beds

Cons:
* sink was blocked in our room. I told staff out of courtesy when checking out, and there was no apologies, or “thanks for letting us know”. Instead I was met with - “you need to twist and remove the plug”. I tried that… that didn’t work, and I could tell it was blocked with the horrible smell in our bathroom the entire stay
* some staff were lovely but others miserable! When politely telling one of the bar staff I was taking my wine to the pool area (to make sure that was ok) she huffed at me and didn’t say anything - just put it in a plastic glass and literally walked away. So rude!
* mould on the curtains in our rooms
* pool area tiles are missing right next to the kids pool - sharp bits of concrete exposed. This is a safety hazard!
* emergency evacuation plan missing from the back of our door - another safety hazard
* no coat hangers in our room - surely you can purchase some more? They’re so inexpensive
* no compendium in our room
* weeds everywhere

We were married here in 2016 and were surprised at how dated and run down it now is. Such a shame because it has such potential!

Date of stay: December 2022
Trip type: Travelled with family
Julie Pettit, General Manager at Mercure Hunter Valley Gardens, responded to this reviewResponded 9 February 2023

Hi Laurenelise8,
Not good enough service from our team. They were in the middle of training new staff and under extreme pressure at this time. However, no excuses, our management team were working with them, but these things take time. You will note feedback about our team has improved since your stay.
Work has started on improvements on our property. Tiles have been replaced at the pool when you reported them, thank you and all items mentioned for your room have been resolved. Telling us at reception, despite the reaction on this occasion from the staff member does help us improve. thank you.
Kind regards
Julie at Mercure

Reviewed 18 October 2022 via mobile

Did not honour prepaid booking which was cancelled due to the covid pandemic.
The hotel is tired and in need of a freshen up. Really just a glorified motel
Would suggest other more comfortable and picturesque accommodation in the area but if you do go remember to take your own shower cap. None supplied at this place.
To top our stay off the leaf blower woke us up early in the morning
Won’t be back

Reviewed 17 October 2022

We booked and paid in March 2022 for our stay in 0ctober 2022 (our nephews wedding) When we arrived we were horrified to find our booking was not even on the books(Thank goodness we had thought to print the confirmation email)They did find us a room but I have to wonder if someone else had to be "bumped off" the books due to this
Their dinning prices are hugely expensive The minimum cost is $79 pp for dinner WITHOUT drinks (As such we "ran" down the road to the pub)
The rooms are OK but certainly not up to the standard you would expect for the prices charged
Not even the advertised minibar facilities (you get that at a cheap pub)
NEEDS A HUGE RE-VAMP ALL AROUND

Reviewed 16 October 2022

Centrally located, with all the amenities on-site, easy drive to wineries, walking distance to the gardens, Hope Estate (for big concert events), Harrigans pub, shops and some cellar doors. This hotel is a potential gold mine and could be one of the most desirable places to stay in the valley! The bed was good, linen clean, and room was neat and tidy.... but for the money we paid we expected a room which was modern and fresh, not dated and run down. I was looking forward to using the sunken bath but I could not look past the heavy rust on the metal hand rails and the dirty sky windows covered in bird poo. Despite the excellent water pressure and fancy double headed shower, it felt like showering in a corner cupboard in the dark! Provided shampoo and soaps etc were nice however not refilled prior to our stay and the body wash remained empty even after the room was serviced during our stay, the room iron was damaged which almost snagged on our clothing during use and the ironing board had a big burn mark on it which easily could have been fixed with a replacement cover. There was only 2 small tetra paks of milk provided in a fairly sizable bar fridge. Some tea and coffee sachets were available however no other mini bar, drink or snack options were provided. The buffet breakfast was adequate and provided lots of options. For over $400 per night, I feel this place could be so much better. With its location and obvious popularity, I feel like some $$ could be invested to give guests a more pleasant hotel experience. I will probably stay somewhere else during our next trip to the valley.

• Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Reviewed 14 October 2022 via mobile

This resort desperately needs a reno. Very run down in the rooms - it felt like an over priced motor inn. No mini bar options, had to ask for coat hangers in the room and had to buy drinking water. For almost $300 per night mid week stay I would have expected complimentary water. We had a spa bath in the room which had broken jets and personally these features seem a bit outdated. The car park was literally out the front door which made fell like a cheap motor inn. We ordered a bowl of hot chips as the restaurant was closed which cost over $20. Pillows terrible, showers small and big fridge for a couple of tetra packs of milk and cookies. I would not stay here again as there are much better accomodation options available on the hunter region.