“Excellent experience ”

Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: After-hours, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Dining options: After-hours, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Reviewed 12 November 2017 via mobile

Was walking through honey suckle for dinner and stumbled upon this restaurant, now I can not wait to go back. Service was very friendly, food was amazing - the side dish potatoes with pancetta and onion is a side that must be ordered, and the imported wine list so well suited to the menu.
Excellent Italian in a beautiful location. Next time in Newcastle I will be going.

il grifone i, Owner at Ristorante Il Grifone, responded to this reviewResponded 13 November 2017

Thank you Emma ! We'll be waiting for you with our special limoncello.

Reviewed 29 October 2017 via mobile

This restaurant has a great location with harbour views. Main meal was very tasty as expected at these prices. Dessert was mediocre to say the least but still cost $17. They only had one waitron to serve the whole restaurant so we had to wait forever for service. When I brought it up during paying the manager was really rude. Won’t see me again.

2  Thank Casper V
il grifone i, Owner at Ristorante Il Grifone, responded to this reviewResponded 31 October 2017

Thank you, however stories are best told as they are!
Your order was taken at 8.56 and your bill paid at 9.07=41minutes
Your order was 2 pasta and 2 desserts.
Yes there was a delay in processing another costumer credit card, this sometime happens with overseas cards. I apologized for that and explained I couldn't do anything about it, that is when you had to make yourself herd to the point of embarrassing the couple in front of you.
At 7.30 when all diners had all finished eating and everyone almost gone I kept only one waitstaff on duty. Who was to tell me that 20 people would rock up without notice on a usually quite Sunday night? Have you ever tried to get a tradesman on a spare of the moment? We are not different.
We are servants who have chosen to be in the hospitality industry because gratifies us to please people, not to be walked over.

Reviewed 24 October 2017

My husband & had a very relaxing & pleasant lunch.We enjoyed the waterfront view & quite surrounds of the restaurant.Service was very good.I really liked my main meal. It was named Pollo-deboned chicken filled with mushrooms & seasoned pork meat,porcini risottino! Crispy skin perfect. Hubby had filetto - fillet of beef served on truffled potato crush. Porcini ! He loved it not a thing left on his plate.Also our side of snow peas /zucchini was fresh & cooked just right. Plus wine & beer. We left there feeling very content.

1  Thank Kim H
il grifone i, Owner at Ristorante Il Grifone, responded to this reviewResponded 26 October 2017

Hurray!! Great to hear and hopefully we can do it all over again soon....ohhh and happy belated birthday to your husband !

Reviewed 22 October 2017 via mobile

We went here for dinner on a sunday night. It wasn't a busy night but the service was still pretty slow. The meals needed seasoning badly. My husband is a chef so i thought he was as just being picky but mine was too bland for our toddler to eat. There was nothing for kids which I thought was odd as Italians are so family orientated. I think the establishment was trying to be a lot fancier than it is capable of. Maybe they were just having a bad night but consistency is key.

3  Thank Shannon H
il grifone i, Owner at Ristorante Il Grifone, responded to this reviewResponded 24 October 2017

Thank you for taking the time to review us, I have no explanation to your comments.
I don't claim to be a master chef but I have been in the industry for 50 years, obviously according to your husband I haven't even learnt how to season. We don't have salt on tables and very rarely we get asked for it, simply because Tuscan cuisine is quite complex in flavours and well seasoned. Quite right we are family orientated so much so we don't have children's menu as we educate them to taste all that is placed on the table, however on demand we do the usual children chicken n chips, fish n chips and so on. We don't claim to be as fancy as perhaps you are used to your husbands cooking, quite the opposite actually. We do base our style on fresh, natural flavours, rather than dazzlingly complicated, technically fussy designer dishes. I'm sorry the food was too bland for your toddler to eat, it comes as a contradiction to a children's menu, astonishing how a toddler even too young to be talking could express preference to richer foods. My ambition has always been to please everyone, I'm sorry to have failed.
P.S.
I have just spoken to the waitress who served you:
Bruschetta, calamari, risotto with assorted mushrooms and tortelloni with beef ragu', she recalls asking you how your meals were and if everything was right, and the answer was yes.
I wish you would've have told us you weren't happy, we could've offered a replacement or even your money back, TripAdvisor can't do that, we can.

Reviewed 15 September 2017 via mobile

Walking past this restaraunt the menu caught my eye, the inside looked inviting and when I entered I felt well looked after. Travelling for business means you often eat alone and the staff here looked after me well. A tasty meal and nice wine....plus great service...what more could you ask for.

1  Thank Mark H
il grifone i, Owner at Ristorante Il Grifone, responded to this reviewResponded 17 September 2017

Thank you very much mark !