“Get ready to have your belly filled to the brim!”
Review of Meet

Meet
Ranked #1 of 596 Restaurants in Newcastle
Price range: USD 10 - USD 44
Reviewed 15 February 2016

We dined at Meet for the first time for a special Valentine's Day and Anniversary dinner. Overall, it was a fantastic meal and we both left extremely satisfied, so much so that our stomachs felt like they were about to burst!

Venue:
9/10. It has changed a lot since it was Sprout. It's very spacious and open. They were also very accommodating and made room for our pram. The lighting is spot on and creates a very nice ambience. The chairs are comfortable and the tables are stylish. The one negative point was that our table had some left over residual glass shards that were not cleaned up properly, though it wasn't a big issue and they quickly rectified it.

Food:
10/10. Perfection on a plate. I lived in Sydney for 6 years and was there when the Churrasco (franchise) took off (I even ran their social media for a while). That was hands down my favourite restaurant and when I moved back home to Newcastle I was disappointed we didn't have anything similar (Figtree doesn't count)... until now. MEET has copied everything about it - which is a good thing. All the food is exactly the same, right down to the chicken hearts and cheese balls. It's authentic, tasty as hell and will leave you salivating for more.

Service:
9/10. The staff were all very friendly, polite and knowledgeable about the food. Staff were always around if we needed anything and our requests regarding food and seating were attended to promptly. The only negative point was that the drinks take a long time to come out (which other reviewers have commented on)... though, they are worth the wait. The drink selection is fantastic too!

Value:
6/10. If you are a big eater and can easily put away 1kg worth of meat without breaking a sweat, you will get extreme value from MEET. However, if you are a normal eater (like my fiancée) or you don't eat big quantities, MEET will break your wallet (assuming you choose the all-you-can-eat option). When Churrasco first started in Sydney, it was $37 for all-you-can-eat... which represented amazing value for money. I would go there once every 2 weeks at that price. Then they jacked it up to $40, which was acceptable, then up again to $49, which is the same price as MEET. I personally think $49 is way too expensive for what is on offer, when you consider a main meal at the fine-dining 'Restaurant Mason' is $45. My fiancée and I had a couple of drinks and, after getting the bill, we both commented that we could have lashed out and gone to Mason for the same price. The price really should be around the $40 mark. Though, with that said, if you can eat a LOT, you'll get maximum value out of it.

Overall:
8/10. An incredible dining experience that mirrors Churrasco in Sydney. It's authentic Brazilian and makes Figtree look like amateur hour. Go there in a large group of big eaters, with empty stomachs, to really have a good night and get great value.

1  Thank chrisg276rec
mitch959, Owner at Meet, responded to this reviewResponded 16 February 2016

Hi Chris,

Thanks very much for visiting our restaurant and for taking the time to write a review, we really appreciate your positive feedback about our service and food, especially from someone who has significant knowledge of the Brazilian barbecue experience.

I was born and raised in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil, and am the Chef and an owner of Meet. The Brazilian barbecue experience is a significant part of our culture, and we were very excited about introducing this concept to Newcastle. Our goal was to ensure we stayed true to the tradition of the Brazilian barbeque (whilst adding our personal twists), and I believe we have achieved this. We drew from our culture and our love of Brazilian food, which is very important to us, but with respect, we have not copied everything about the Churrasco franchise in Sydney. I have eaten there, and there are significant differences in our food and service. The types of food are obviously similar, because they are all part of a traditional barbecue.

In terms of value for money, our all you can eat barbecue experience definitely suits those with a healthy appetite, you are right there. But we also offer an option for those who don’t want to eat as much food. For $18, customers can order a bar snack, which consists of approximately 200g of meat, chips and two condiments. You can add in any sides for $5 each. We would love to welcome you back to try it.

In terms of value, I’m not sure that comparing an all you can eat experience, which provides an unlimited amount of meat and a wide range of sides, to one main meal in a fine dining restaurant is comparing apples with apples. We are proud of the value for money that we offer customers, and are often told that it is very reasonable for what you get. We are determined to keep our price at $49 per head, despite the increasing prices of meat in Australia.

Thanks again for your review, it is much appreciated. I hope you don't mind us clarifying a few things.

Luciano
Chef and Owner

Reviewed 14 February 2016

The food was outstanding and really good value for money especially when compared to the Figtree at Mayfield. The atmosphere was relaxed and the service was attentive. It's a great way to get your meat fix. Will be back for sure..

1  Thank Tracey C
Reviewed 13 February 2016 via mobile

What an amazing place to eat in Newcastle. Totally recommend you head to Meet and just sit back and enjoy your experience. Loved the bbq pineapple...yum yum yum!

1  Thank Jodi S
Reviewed 9 February 2016

Firstly the food is amazing! I could have kept eating all night. Staff were great and the experience was really good.
If I had to fault it I would say the music was too loud - I was there for a work Christmas party and you couldn't talk to the person next to you it was so loud. Also the chairs were really uncomfortable, I felt like the chair might be stuck to me when I stood up - luckily it was not :)
But this place is all about the food and watching it being prepared and then eating it is sensational. Can't wait to eat there again

1  Thank Amanda S
Reviewed 9 February 2016

My son decided to hold his birthday dinner here, We had a large group and were looked after extremely well. The owner and head chef came out of the kitchen to talk to us, which doesn't happen that often anymore.
If you enjoy good food and good service, this is the place for you.

1  Thank Colleen S