“Nice but not as amazing as I hoped”
Review of Coal River & Co

Coal River & Co
Ranked #10 of 658 Restaurants in Newcastle
Price range: USD 6 - USD 20
Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Dinner, Outdoor Seating
Description: Coal River & Co is a relaxed dining experience & we aim to ensures you enjoy a memorable food experience every time with our fresh made pastas and daily specials
Reviewed 13 April 2018 via mobile

After reading all the 5 star rave reviews I had high hopes, but I have to say I was a little disappointed. It’s a lovely cosy setting and was very popular. The waitress was kept busy but was attentive enough. Unfortunately the meal fell a little flat. I had the pappardelle and meatballs; the pasta was nice and the sauce was lovely and fresh however the meatballs lacked flavour and needed salt. My partner had the rigatoni with beetroot and it also lacked flavour (and the rigatoni was more like penne, not a huge issue but not what was anticipated). Our friends both liked their meals. Nice that you can BYO on Wednesday’s too.

Reviewed 8 April 2018 via mobile

A small intimate restaurant/ wine bar. Around 35 seats. We were seeing a show and needed to be in and out in an hour. Good selection of wines. Italian with pasta being made on the premises. Started with a mozzarella prosciutto entree, with a mushroom cannelloni and a green salad. We shared everything and it was enough with a bottle of Vedhello it cost $89. Good value, food was delicious and the service was excellent. Definitely worth a visit

Reviewed 22 March 2018 via mobile

Great little place my partner and I visited tonight, our waiter was lovely, attentive and helpful, the food was amazing couldn't really fault anything, we especially liked the mozzarella sticks and the chicken, zucchini and spinach spiral pasta, would recommend, thanks guys!

Reviewed 13 February 2018 via mobile

Great fresh pasta, great wine list, lovely waitress, what more could you want?

Love this little Italian pasta house and it has my highest recommendation.

5/5

Reviewed 5 February 2018

Enjoyed dinner here again , the Menu has great variety and is filled with delicious home made Pasta dishes. The starters are fresh and well priced, the variety of the mains is excellent, I highly recommend the Wild Mushroom Cannelloni, the sauce is to die for.
The staff are friendly and efficient. Wine list is well thought out and features a good selection of local Australian and Italian varieties.