“Delicious and different”

Cuisines: Ethiopian
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed 31 July 2018 via mobile

Have eaten here many times and the food is consistently good. Red lentils are a favourite and it’s a nicely different experience to eat with just your hands and the bread.
I wish they provided an extra piece of bread per meal. Can be quite salty too.
Overall very good and will continue to visit regularly.

Reviewed 17 June 2018 via mobile

I’d heard good things about Habesha and I adore Ethiopian food, so I was really excited to visit here. When looking at the menu I was pleased with the variety of options to try from, which all sounded delicious. The staff were helpful and accommodating when we arrived, which was a great start to the night.

It’s quite a small venue and interestingly decorated - it had a great atmosphere. However, because it is so small I would not recommend it for medium or large sized groups as it is difficult to move around.

The food was nice (I especially liked the yeseba tibs) and the desserts were delicious. However the meals were very small portions, and most of our group walked out still hungry.

The food was tasty, but because of the small portion sizes I would only recommend this restaurant for couples and would suggest ordering much more than what you think you would need.

2  Thank AussieTraveller7787
Reviewed 8 June 2018

Have been to Ethiopia including remote townships so know what is eaten there and I can verify that this place is the closest thing you are likely to get in Australia to the real deal. Nice hand-washing ritual before eating (which is with your right hand) and very tasty offerings - especially "fasting" food (what Ethiopians call vegan). They specialise in injera: a stew-like curry served on top of a crepe-like flatbread,made out of fermented teff flour. which is supposed to be really good for you: high in protein and fibre. In Ethiopia they can't go a day without injera: it is a staple.

2  Thank Firsttimecruiser52
Reviewed 2 April 2018

The food is absolutely delicious, and the hand washing ceremony is really unique - all restaurants should do this! Service is very attentive and friendly, they have great wines too. I love that only a small amount of people can eat there at a time, as it makes the experience more intimate.

2  Thank Keirra J
Reviewed 21 March 2018

I planned lunch here on a Friday, took my family there, arrived at approximately 12pm. As there are no lunch or dinner times to be found on their website, I went off the Google review summary which clearly states that this restaurant is open for lunch on Friday from 11.30am. When we arrived the door was open, and we walked in. The woman sitting at a table arose and stated we are not open for lunch. Why was the door open? I was surprised and said, oh really and was told again, we're not open. No explanation. I checked again later that day, the opening times, contacted this restaurant via their facebook page to ask when they were open and try to get clarification about why they weren't open when I went there. No reply. I asked again weeks later for their opening hours, and rudely, still no reply.

I note google still states they're open for lunch on Friday.

The food would want to be good to make up for the ignorant rude staff. I doubt I'd go back.