“great place in Broken Hill”
other travellers have booked this property

Review of My Nanna Place

Town Square
Sculptures
Broken Hill Post Office
Silverton
This property is not available for these dates.
Show all rentals available

Reviews from our community

Any
gabriele...
Sydney, Australia
“great place in Broken Hill”
Reviewed 8 July 2015 for a stay in December 2014
person found this review helpful

its a great and affordable place for families.It has 3 bedrooms and 2 bath rooms ,a laundry and garden.It has a garden hose you can wash your clothes in the wasching machine and hang up outside in the sun.We travel every Xmas to broken Hill as a family with 1 daughter and Nannas cottage has 3 bedrooms so we share with her the Cottage what makes it so affordable.

Bathroom cleanliness Other facilities & amenities
Liked best: airconditioning and large Ausstar TV near to public transport
Liked least: liked everything
Travelling group: Extended Family
Older travelers Families with young children
Large groups People with pets
  • Was it a good value for the price paid?
  • Did the property offer wi-fi/internet access?
  • Was your security deposit returned on time?
6 Feb 2016
Thank you for your review Gabriele, I think it is lovely when families can meet up and stay at the cottage and spend time together and enjoy their company. Regards Dorothy
Gail P
Nelson Bay, New South Wales, Australia
“Comfortable”
Reviewed 29 April 2015 for a stay in April 2015

This is a comfortable little cottage, a little on its own but not too far from town, walking distance in good weather. Kitchen was well equipped, it has a bath tub, the garden is fenced so good for children. Felt like a friendly place and benefits from being in Broken Hill

Liked best: Homey comfortable feel
Liked least: nothing
Friends getaway Older travelers
Families with young children People with pets
6 Feb 2016
Gail, I am glad you found the cottage comfortable and the kitchen well equipped and walking distance not far from town. It was a pleasure to have you stay at the cottage and I hope you return in the future.
Kind regards Dorothy
Leonie B
Mudgee, Australia
“Clean and comfortable”
Reviewed 16 May 2014 for a stay in May 2014

Just like staying at Nanna's in the old days. Importantly, the beds were very comfy, and the water was good and hot for the shower. I would only call it one bedroom though, not two, it just happens that the bath is in the same space as the laundry. It was an easy walk to town 10-15 minutes.
The hosts were lovely, nothing would have been a trouble.
Also, very reasonably priced.

Overall condition of the property Bedding & mattresses
Kitchen & utensils Bathroom cleanliness
Other facilities & amenities Service
Liked best: Having the place to ourselves, cleanliness and comfort
Liked least: Back yard was very bare, but I think this is pretty common in Broken Hill
Friends getaway Older travelers
6 Feb 2016
Thank You Leonie, it was lovely to have you and your friend stay at the cottage and for this really good review but but I think you mean that where you have said 1 bedroom you mean bathroom ( I would only call it one bedroom though, not two, it just happens that the bath is in the same space as the laundry.) I hope you and your friend return again in the near future. Kind regards Dorothy
Margaret...
Sydney, Australia
“We found My Nana's Place to be comfortable and welcoming and our host, Dorothy Smith, more than helpful.”
Reviewed 31 October 2013 for a stay in March 2011

My cousin Joy and I found really welcoming, after a long train journey from Sydney to be met by Dorothy at Broken Hill Station and to be driven around the streets of The Silver City to familiarise us to the local shops and attractions and to take us to a supermarket before arriving at My Nana's Place. It was a good introduction to our holiday adventure.

My Nana's Place is a self catering and holiday cottage and we really fell in love with the cottage. Everything was very well thought out and we could appreciate that Dorothy had put a lot of work and planning into everything. We found Dorothy professional and exceptionally hard working and with a lovely personality. We felt "looked after" right from the beginning.
The cottage was spotless, roomy and comfortable and I was really impressed with the furnishings and decorating. The beds were especially comfortable. This is not always the case when travelling and can be a disappointment.

The kitchen was fully fitted and I noted Dorothy had employed such attention to detail. You know how it is on holiday, you think, I wish I had remembered to bring this or that, and .. then I would find same in a drawer. Neat!!

There was every home comfort you could wish for, including good laundry facilities and TV and Radio. Bathroom facilities were A1 too. Everything was spotless and clean.

My favourite relaxation was sitting outside under the covered patio looking at the piercing bright stars at night, and I couldn't help but remember Clive Robertson saying once during an ABC Interview "I defy anyone to go to Broken Hill and go out at 10 o'clock at night and say there isn't a God. It is just amazing."

Dorothy provided every type of tourist literature and we visited The Pro Hart Gallery, the Mining and Minerals Museum (I posted mineral samples to my family and friends and bought gems and locally made jewellery), and we went on tours to Silverton to see the Mad Max Museum (great!!), the Sculpture Park, The Big Seat, the Menindee Lakes System where emus strolled across the road, the camping site of the Bourke and Wills Expedition, and ate at some incredible eateries.

I loved the Musicians Club - and if you phone they send a bus to pick you up and drive you home.

There are lots of treasures to buy in Broken Hill and unusual things too. My cousin bought some Golliwogs - quite historical.

And everywhere we went the local people were just so lovely and so generous - they would offer us lifts and take us to see the mines etc.

And importantly too - we found Broken Hill to be a very safe city.

I would certainly recommend this holiday to my friends and rellies.

And I intend to come again and to stay at My Nana's Place of course.

Liked best: My Nana's Place was a Home Away From Home
Liked least: Absolutely nothing. I liked everything. I had the time of my life.
Travelling group: Other
Older travelers Families with young children
Large groups People with pets
  • Was it a good value for the price paid?
  • Was your security deposit returned on time?
21 Dec 2013
Margaret and Joy, It was a pleasure meeting people like you, I really enjoyed having you stay at the cottage and I hope you return in the near future and finish seeing the sights of Broken Hill.
Cheers Dorothy
russell73...
Canberra, Australia
“Interesting, comfortable, home away from home, near to all amenities and places of interest.”
Reviewed 19 October 2013 for a stay in September 2012
person found this review helpful

Dorothy is a wonderful host and on our first trip that we cancelled she had offered to collect us from the Railway Station after our train trip. Our next trip with friends that eventuated was very enjoyable. All our needs had been taken care of to give us an initial start before being able to purchase our own stores. The cottage was clean and quaint with good bathroom facilities, laundry and everything we could wish for to make our holiday a wonderful, unforgettable memory.

Bathroom cleanliness Other facilities & amenities
Liked best: Dorothy's help and honesty. Our first booking we couldn't go and Dorothy returned our deposit in full with a month's notice of cancelling.
Liked least: Our stay was only for one week.
Your age range 65+
Older travelers
5 Nov 2013
Thank you for your kind words. We make it our policy to look after all our guests and to keep everyone happy.
Enter dates for more accurate prices
2 guests
Adults2
Children0
Apply
Do you own a holiday rental? List it here.
Extra income
Easy to manage
Trusted by travellers
Set up your free listing