“Great food”

The White Horse at Sutton
Ranked #1 of 1 Sutton B&B and Inns
Reviewed 6 September 2017 via mobile

This place is in a lovely part of the South Downs and ideal as a base for walking. The food we ate there was very well cooked and tasty, service was efficient and friendly. We all enjoyed our meals and would return for more. Sadly the accommodation was not so great - our room did not smell very fresh and clean. Room at the rear of the building was noisy due to some kind of boiler/fan running all night. Recommended for good meals but wouldn't stay overnight again.

Stayed: August 2017, travelled with friends

Reviewed 4 August 2017

Stopped here today for lunch and we were very pleased we did, the food was lovely and the staff polite and friendly.
Not normally being a burger person I decided to try the Cajun Chicken with Avocado and it was very well cooked with just the correct amount of spiciness for me. it certainly made me wonder why we had not been here before.
definitely worth the drive.

Stayed: August 2017, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 14 July 2017

The food is edible and the waitresses were lovely, efficient and friendly. That's where the positivity ends.

Our mistake was staying the night. Our room was not as advertised.

On the website it says:

"Double room with full ensuite facilities" - our room had a shower in it but the toilet was in the communal corridor. To me, and I'm sure to most people, regardless of the fact that it was 'our' toilet, having to access it via a shared corridor means that it is not ensuite.

"All rooms have a Nespresso Coffee machine" - our room didn't even have a kettle in it let alone a Nespresso. There was some instant coffee but that wasn't much use without a kettle.

Our room also felt pretty grubby - looking under the bed to check that we had everything when we left the next morning it clearly hadn't been cleaned properly under there in some time (dust, hair, a champagne cork, plastic wrapping). The bed was pretty uncomfortable, the sheets felt like polycotton and there were holes in the wall where lamps had been removed.

The owner, who is also the chef, was very unwelcoming. He was unfriendly to the point of being intimidating and didn't smile once. There is even a sign written on the kitchen door which says something along the lines of "warning - moody chef at work". Pretty accurate. I can understand why previous reviewers have decided to leave comments on here rather than approach him during their stay/meal.

• Stayed: May 2017, travelled as a couple
nickhaj, Owner at The White Horse at Sutton, responded to this reviewResponded 26 July 2017

We have 5 rooms advertised on line
4 are ensuite bathrooms, one is with shower and basin and loo next to room

The room is priced accordingly (cheaper) and you booked this room, I guess As it was cheaper so how can you therefore say not as advertised

There is certainly no excuse for poorly cleaned room, however there is also no opportunity for me to respond and determine whether it wasn't cleaned properly as you didn't mention to staff

Infact none of the complaints were made to me or my staff who were apparently really nice and friendly and therefore I presume very approachable. The kitchen door has a tongue in cheek sign, 'Do not enter grumpy chef'.

Obviously my sense of humour is so bad you found it intimidating to the extreme that you didn't engage with me regarding the issues, if you had you would have found me very concerned about any negative issues and resolved them with you as best I could

Finally I am pleased the food was edible as I spend a lot of time sourcing local products and use reputable fish merchants and Butchers from the area

Reviewed 13 July 2017

We called in here mid-week for lunch. The staff were friendly, the service was prompt and effcient, the food was wholesome and filling. All this in a peaceful, atmospheric old building - what more could be asked for!

• Stayed: July 2017, travelled with friends
1  Thank rob0
Reviewed 30 June 2017 via mobile

Not been to this pub before limited parking at the back but plenty of parling in the lane - front and back entrance very welcoming landlady who's been there for 7 years food very good nice homemade burgers good atmosphere worth a visit with a good country drive

Stayed: June 2017, travelled as a couple

Been to The White Horse at Sutton? Share your experiences!