the quality of hotels and restaurants in te anau are generally very VERY average if not below. for that prices are extremely high. once i entered this villa park it felt like a deserted movie set from the 70s. the villas are very out of date, very close together and the windows face in all direction with only blinds to get privacy. i "upgraded" to the hotel rooms which were surprisingly clean and new. according to the front desk renovated 3 years ago. bathroom was new. a relief.
but since one is in the middle of nowwhere everything costs. no wifi in the room but at least in the lounge area for free. dining is a ripoff. at least 30 bucks for very very average main courses. the soup of the day cost 12 and was also the same soup being served the next morning at their breakfast buffet. fortunately i had a very friendly staff. although one should not expect a delighted answer if one requests to "extend" for another night - rather "but i cannot give you your initial rate". in general people in the south seem quite harsh and cold compared to the north i noticed. so i tried to get used to it.
the sauna and pool area is so early 80s that it is cool again. one truely feels like in another decade. this actually could be really charming if it was well maintained and sanitaries were new.
the place is huge and meant for large loads of tourists who just stay there to see milford sound and the boring glow worm caves. thats why the whole place and hotel feel like a motorway restaurant. you quickly pass through. dont really bother to complain much because the other guests incl yourself probably wont return soon anyway.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Located on the Te Anau Lake Front, a short stroll from the Te Anau Town Centre, Distinction Te Anau Hotel and Villas is perfectly situated for you to make the most of this beautiful area. Surrounded by extensive, colourful gardens and overlooking spectacular Lake Te Anau and the Fiordland ranges, this Hotel and Villa accommodation sets the tone for your stay in one of the world’s most breathtaking regions. Designed for your comfort, we offer 115 luxurious rooms, including Hotel rooms with Garden and breathtaking Lake Views, and a range of spacious One and Two Bedroom Garden View Villas. On-site is the renowned MacKinnon Room Restaurant offering the very best of South Island cuisine, and the Explorer Bar and Lakefront Terrace where you can relax and enjoy the uninterrupted views of Lake Te Anau. The hotel offers the largest hotel based conference centre in the area, and its very own lakefront wedding chapel, plus extensive recreational facilities, including a spa, sauna, heated outdoor swimming pool and massage services. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia APAC, Hotels.com, TripOnline SA, Wotif.com, Hooroo Pty Ltd, Priceline, Odigeo, Agoda, Cancelon and HotelQuickly so you can book your Distinction Te Anau Hotel and Villas reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Distinction Te Anau Hotel And Villas Fiordland National Park
- Distinction Hotel Te Anau