“As a solo traveller, great place to meet people”

Nomads Queenstown Backpackers
Reviewed 22 December 2012 via mobile

This hostel is very well located. Rooms are quite spacious and had a private toilet bathroom which I found was great. The common area is really big and with an awesome vibe. Great service with cool staff members. When it comes to backpackers, they know what they are doing

• Stayed: June 2012

Reviewed 17 December 2012

I couldn't have picked a more warm and welcoming place to stay on my first ever solo trip and first ever time in a backpackers. I would highly recommend others in the same situation as me. I felt safe and that my possessions were secure in the rooms when I wasn't there. Entry via swipe card only into the dorms.

Everyone is pretty friendly, especially front desk staff and travel staff. This place is in an A++ location near the waterfront and central to everything.

Between 6pm - 9pm take a few alcholic drinks with you as this is the time it gets pretty social and everyone seems to drink and play card games up until 9pm. One night they had a mock speed dating night... this was a great way to get to know almost everyone in the hostel. Fantastic atmosphere in all areas at all times.

Dorms were clean and comfortable and warm. I stayed in a 6 bed dorm with ensuite (level 2) for most nights of my week stay, a double ensuite room one night (3rd floor) and a king ensuite one night (3rd floor) aswell. I liked all of them, however, preferred the social networking in the 6 bed dorm.

Note: Double and King rooms have bar fridge, ironing board and tea and coffee facilities.

On Friday and Saturday nights there was quite a bit of noise from pubs outside which can be beaten if you join in on the fun!! Otherwise, suck it up and take the option of free ear plugs from reception. I have to say I didn't hear any noise whatsoever when I was staying on the 3rd floor.

Was great to have a free breakfast (toast) especially when having to get up super early to catch a tour bus. I didn't have the free dinner as I generally met up with people to go out for a pub meal.. but most people said it was okay, small portions, but during peak season get it quick as it is a first in first serve basis.

I can't fault this place at all.

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled solo
1  Thank BeckDarwin_Australia
Reviewed 10 December 2012

The hostel itself seemed newly built with a good atmosphere and a great location with downtown Queenstown as well as the lake just outside the door. The room was very clean. Internet costs (Wi-Fi) of 4$ per day were ok.
However, staying in a queen- ensuite studio we were disappointed of the fact that we had no window in the room. We had to sleep with the cooling heat pump on, which made the air very dry.
Asking staff if we could change the room she told us to come back the next day. Comming back the next day another staff member told us that none of the queen ensuites have a window.
Beds were average (quite noisy, ok comfortable) for a hostel.
I would recommend this hostel, if you chose another room type or do not plan to stay for a long time.

Room Tip: Don't chose a queen-ensuite if you plan to stay longer than a night.
  • Stayed: December 2012, travelled as a couple
NomadsQueenstown, Manager at Nomads Queenstown Backpackers, responded to this reviewResponded 20 December 2012

Hi there and thank you for taking the time to place feedback. Our double/combi rooms which you stayed in are advertised as interior rooms which is why they are much cheaper than our king rooms which all have large balconies - to be honest we generally try to upgrade bookings from the combi rooms as many don't read that they are windowless/interior on the listings when booking and we don't like to disappoint. As our private rooms are usually fully booked in advance the staff would have asked you to come back to see if a king room had become available that day which often happens - I'm sorry in your case this didn't become available and you didn't feel the room was what you expected. Thanks again for your feedback, we are going to investigate all our online listings to ensure it's made clear that the few rooms we do have of this room type are clearly listed as windowless so we don't disappoint again. Kind regards, Nomads Crew.

Reviewed 8 December 2012 via mobile

I just loved it. Our form was big, clean and comfy. Nice kitchen and toilets. Awesome common room and cinema room. Sauna is a great thing as well. Very nice as and helpful staff. Gear location. Really the best hostel in New Zealand for me.

• Stayed: December 2012
Reviewed 7 December 2012

I stayed in both a private room and a 10 bed dorm room during my stay there. Private rooms were quiet, clean, tidy, spacious, comfortable and worth the extra money. The dorm rooms were so much fun, a great way to meet new people with many memories made and stories to bring home to tell people. Loved every minute. Free dinners tasted really good and loved the great deals offered when you purchase a tour downstairs e.g. free beer. Best location in Queenstown no doubt. Heading back soon so I will definitely stay at this hostel.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled with friends