1,037 results
All reviewsfree dinnertravel deskkiwi experienceprivate roomthe kitchencinema roomfree toastbed dormfemale dormcommon roomshared balconycommon areasown bathroomlight sleepermiddle of townfree wifiperfect location
Reviewed 13 April 2012

The location of Nomads Queenstown is amazing. It's right near the lake and in the heart of Queenstown, convenient to any activity there. The staff was incredibly helpful and recommended a few things to do while in Queenstown.

I stayed in a single ensuite on the 3rd floor. The bathrooms were tiny and poorly designed. The sink is very small, and there's a shelf above the sink that's just as large as the sink itself, which made routine activities cumbersome. The bed isn't very comfortable. There is no phone or clock in the room, so I had to use my cellphone to set an alarm.

More important, and noted on some other reviews, there is a bar/club across the street from Nomads that doesn't shut down until after 3am. Getting some sleep with loud music pumping through wasn't easy. I had an early pickup for a trip to Milford Sound, and having the club across the street made for a tough couple of nights.

I think if you know what you're getting yourself into going in, there's nothing wrong with Nomads. It's a nice property in a perfect location. However, be aware that there's a lot of room for improvement here.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled solo
Reviewed 6 April 2012

Stayed here for about a week, rooms are clean and well sized, some have balconies. If you stay here I suggest paying that little bit extra and staying on the 3rd floor where the rooms are twins/doubles; fridge, wardrobe, desk, balcony, private bathroom, T and coffee!!!! Loved it. Dont make the mistake of going to Base. Nomads is the better of the two. Friendly staff, massive kitchen area inc pool table, sofas etc. Free dinner everyday too!! Sweet as!!

Room Tip: Any with a balcony.
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled solo
Reviewed 7 March 2012

This place is definitely the place to stay in Queenstown. High-rise hostel with gorgeous rooms (my husband and I stayed in a double room) and great staff. We were very pleased with location and services. This was our favorite hostel (though it was a little splurge) on our biking tour on the South Island.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 28 February 2012

This is a well run establishment with helpful staff, free breakfast ( just toast and spreads) and dinner if you want to get in the stampede, (we didnt we are in our 60s) We had booked a twin room but on going in saw it was a king size bed, no problem they said and they sent someone up right away when i said yes it is a problem we would like to shower and go out very soon, so f you book here and you want twin room stress with twin beds, other than that it was good, fridge tv etc

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 26 February 2012

I loved this place so much. The staff were all so friendly and the place was very clean. I stayed 10 nights and Queenstown was almost the death of me (alcohol related).

I think the hostel experience is a lot about the people you meet and thankfully my two friends and I were lucky enough to be put in with another 4 guys in an 8 bed. We had one unlucky and unfriendly girl in with us. We had such a laugh and although we didn't have a balcony which would of been great we still had a great time. The hostel had small lockers in each room which could be improved by the addition of under-bed lockers but it wasn't an issue.

The hostel provided a light breakfast each morning and an evening meal served on a first come first served basis (start queuing around 17:45). Drinking was allowed in the common area between 4 and 9pm each evening. The obligatory count down could be heard each night at 9:59:50pm. Although you were not meant to drink in your rooms you could get away with it if you were smart.

The bars are all located near by, a must is Cowboys below nomads.

The kitchen was clean and always had staff cleaning up after the less tidy residents. It was a well maintained and equipped kitchen with clean towels always available. They could do with another fridge to ease the stuffing of the current fridges. My only issue would be one I have mentioned in previous write ups, PETS. I don't mind pets in hostels but I witnessed the dog from nomads come up to the kitchen and lick the clean plates under the counter which needless to say off putting. Other than this stay here. As for the noise issue I would have to say that Nomads take noise very seriously. I was on the phone outside my room at 9:30pm and was asked to move to the common area. I was talking low but after 9pm no gathering in the halls is allowed.

I must admit I have a pet peeve when it comes to families in hostels. Yes I know they are cheaper (Nomads was a little pricy but had it's benefits) but they are also called backpackers and that is a clue that it isn't going to be a 5 star retreat.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled with friends