“I wish things went right with this place!”

Queenstown TOP 10 Holiday Park
GreenLeadersBronze level
Melbourne
“I wish things went right with this place!”
Reviewed 15 December 2011

Let me begin by saying this place has outstanding potential and was a lovely, lovely, lovely little place to stay. Unfortunately there were a few things which really set it back.

On arrival we went to check in and I took the honest road saying I had aquired two others along the way and can they stay with us also. I was laughed at and told yes they could but it would cost an extra $200 on top of what we had payed. I understand that places charge extra for other people but $50 a person, a night is really steep... and the way the staff handelled it was really unprofessional. I admit I was stressed and so I was asking him to help me out but he kept making jokes about ditching my friends, or cancelling my friends sky diving so she could pay. They did not budge at all and I had to go ask everyone to fork over another $50 which was a lot at the time, this bunked it up from $600 for 3 nights to $800 for 3 nights which is a HUGE difference. The main guy continued to make jokes and the girl was so unsympathetic. Finally one of them offered to show us the downgraded room stating we would only have to pay $10 extra if we downgraded our room. So we went from being in a beautiful apartment which was big, bright and gorgeous to a small cramped cabin which was dark and hot! Some might argue it was my fault because it is their conditions, but it is more so the way they go about it. The girl who helped us also asked us to come to her if we needed a taxi because if she recommended 5 people she would get a free ride...

Because this is a chain you paid for EVERYTHING, we spent over $20 alone doing our washing. And you cannot make a phone call unless you use a pay phone of which you can only purchase a $5 minimum card.

Another day my friend was sick and they had no phone in the room so I rang reception and asked them to pass a message. She flat out refused stating she was on her own and couldnt leave the reception... I had to pretty much beg her to go and tell one of them I had called and ask them to call back, she FINALLY agreed and to her credit she did it... but at first she refused and was completely obliging.

It is also REALLY far out from the city so if you do not have a car don't bother. There is a bus which runs every hour and it costs $7 a person... the green cabs do a $20 flat rate to the city but if you are going back and forth it is not cost effective...

Now for the positives, the grounds are gorgeous and well kept, the rooms are clean and liveable and the setting is so picturesque, it is located near the shotover river and is surrounded by mountains....

Had none of that stuff gone wrong I probably would have not cared about the car and the distance but we started on a bad food and I did not like the way we were welcomed. I would probably stay there again but only if I was travelling with 2 people, as if you add more it becomes as much as a city hotel is... and I would only stay there if I had a car

Room Tip: The highest value one is soooo nice, if you can afford it... go for it
  • Stayed December 2011, travelled with friends
shotovertop10, Owner at Queenstown TOP 10 Holiday Park, responded to this review, 26 January 2012
Dear Lauren

Thank you for taking the time to review your stay with us recently. We are grateful for feedback which has contributed to us making numerous improvements to our Holiday Park in recent years.

Firstly it is unfortunate the two friends you picked up on your way had run out of money and had no transport. Our attempt to remedy this problem by downgrading your accommodation was perhaps not the best option for you and we regret doing so.

We understand your disappointment at not staying in the Executive Motel which you booked originally. These are well appointed and equal in presentation to the very best units in Holiday Parks anywhere in NZ.

We apologize for any misunderstanding regarding price. The additional charge for extra adults in our roofed accommodation is $25.00 per person per night not the $50.00 quoted in your review.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (35)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hebrew first
  • Thai first
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 3 October 2011

We stayed in the Executive Motel unit, very spacious, lovely comfortable bed, had full kitchen facilities, apart from an oven, but had enough space and equipment to cook a meal. Had a dinning table and 6 chairs, very modern and clean, lovely big bathroom and shower. Had own parking space outsite our unit, with patio area. Had iron and ironing board and hairdryer facilities in unit. Only slight downside as unit was large with a pitched high ceiling, it did take a while to heat up on a cold morning. TV only had 3 channels so couldn't watch the Rugby, and Washing machine cost the same ($4) per wash as other TOP10 parks but DID NOT have detergent automatically added, had to purchase seperatly at $2 each sachet (per wash).

Room Tip: Executive motel, self contained unit with double bed in main room and bunk beds in seperate bedroom.
  • Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank J M
DanniTOP10, Office Administrator at Queenstown TOP 10 Holiday Park, responded to this review, 15 April 2016
Dear J M

Thank you for the terrific review!
I'm glad you had a great stay!
Johor
Reviewed 29 September 2011

Room were surprisingly small but equipped with bedding. This is differ from others Top10 Holiday Park. But they charge NZD5 for the cooking utensils rental for the entire stay.

NIce location as only 5km from Queenstown, 20mins drive to Coronet Peak and next to shotover jet.

Kitchen were clean and a spacious living room for chit chatting.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled with friends
4 Thank ChunTat
Thank you for taking time to review us on TripAdvisor.
We appreciate your feedback.
Melbourne
Reviewed 29 September 2011

I stayed here with my Dad and sister on a Family holiday for 7 days in Septeber. Stayed in one of the Self Contained 2 bedroom Park motels.
Rooms were very nice, very homey and comfortable feeling, beds were very warm which was great, didn't even feel the need to turn on the electric blanket.
They are a little bit out of town but the drive into town is a nice one very close to the shotover river and coronet peak. There are also buses directly out the front for those without a car and the taxi service wasa quick and good and not too bad.

Only downside was the shower, the pressure wasn't the greatest and attempting to get a good temperature was a bit hard with the slider tap.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled with family
Hi Michelle H
Thank you for taking time to review us on TripAdvisor.
We appreciate your feedback.
Gladstone
Reviewed 23 August 2011

We stayed in the motel section of the holiday park. This was like an upperclass cabin and was very nice, tastefully decorated and perfect for a family having room for up to 4 kids. The cabin had everything you could need - kitchen, bathroom and heaters and sofas to relax in after a day at the snow. The only negative thing I could mention would be having to make the kids beds up myself on arrival which I had not expected in a "motel".
The managers were very helpful when asked for local information and there is a playground for the kids. The park is very handy to Coronet Peak so anyone spending the majority of their trip at Coronet would be better placed here. It has a supermarket not too far away which is on the same road to Queenstown. Queenstown was only about 10mins drive away and you pass the shotover jetboat on the way.
Overall it was a great place to stay and would definately stay here if we go back to Queenstown - have already reccommended it to family who travel there frequently to ski.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank aderfinn
Hello aderfinn

Thank you for your 5 star review!
I am glad to hear you enjoyed your stay with us!