“Go for the food if you can bear the service”

Flame Bar and Grill
Ranked #21 of 291 Restaurants in Queenstown
Price range: USD 4 - USD 28
Cuisines: African, Barbecue, Seafood, Steakhouse, Grill
Good for: Special Occasion Dining, Groups, Romantic
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Lunch, Dinner, Delivery, Reservations, Takeout
Description: With some of the best views in Queenstown, Flame is Queenstown's unique African grill-house. Flame, a small family owned steak house offers quality food and excellent service in a vibrant and intimate setting. This is a dining experience not to be missed. All our beef is grass fed from Southland and Otago and is aged for up to 6 weeks then flame-grilled in our secret basting resulting in it's unique flavour. Racks of ribs are served on a board and come supplied with a flame bib!! Seafood, chicken and vegetarian options are also catered for. Make sure you leave space for a Dom Pedro!! Flame will bring out the carnivore in you. Discover the taste of South Africa - A rare steakhouse, well done!
Reviewed 6 April 2018 via mobile

A lot of chat but no follow through on service. Left waiting, reminded and got a ‘it’s coming’ then a ‘can I do this first’ and then forgotten to serve us again. Simple things like another small plate or a finger bowl offered but never came. 2nd glass of wine forgotten. Bill forgotten. Food is good, but I wouldn’t go again.

Date of visit: April 2018
LouMcDowell, Owner at Flame Bar and Grill, responded to this reviewResponded 8 April 2018

Hi Karen - thanks for your review and feedback and I am very sorry to hear you waited for so long and service was not of a high standard. We are very busy but that is no excuse for a customer to be ignored and I apologise hugely for that. I have spoken to the staff on that night to see how this happened and my manager is looking into it further. I think it is totally unacceptable and I am not you should have been served quicker, better and service promises should be followed through and remembered. Please know that your review has not been taken lightly and I am making sure this does not happen again to anyone.

We look forward to seeing you again soon if you are back in Queenstown.

Kind regards

Lou McDowell
Owner

Write a ReviewReviews (3,007)

Reviewed 6 April 2018 via mobile

Menu offered a great selection, especially meat. I had the mushroom appetizer. Very good. For the main course I had the petite filet with mushroom sauce...dont miss the mushroom sauce. Fresh veggies and potatoes also came with the meal. Meat was perfectly done. The mushroom sauce enhanced the flavor. Highly recommend this restaurant if you want steak!

Reviewed 5 April 2018

Great local spot for delicious food. It's very popular so I'd recommend making a reservation. The ribs were some of the best we've had in NZ/Australia. The burgers (beef and chicken) were huge and a big hit with our teenagers. My steak was rare as requested and very tender. I also found they had a locally produced gin which was a nice surprise. Nick our server was very personable and polite.

Reviewed 3 April 2018

Our table,of four shared the entree platter and we were almost too full to enjoy our mains. I would recommended the shared platter but also consider sharing your mains and then enjoy a dessert .
The wine was expensive but enjoyable. Excellent staff and service, lively vibe but a bit noisy, right in the heart of town so allows for a walk around town after or before your meal.

Reviewed 3 April 2018

We were served by Zee he was great he took our orders then took the time to go through our orders individually to make sure he ordered exactly what we wanted. Thank you Zee for being so thorough as well as that you "rocked man". The food was excellent. We also watched Nick he was also great the place was just buzzing. Definitely saw why you have to book in advance. That night just topped off a great weekend in Queenstown.

Date of visit: March 2018