“Good food, service a bit disappointing”

Akarua Wines & Kitchen by Artisan
Ranked #20 of 291 Restaurants in Queenstown
Reviewed 6 April 2018

The food here is very good- delicious share plates and good wine. I found the service a little rushed and unfriendly- we felt like a nuisance more then welcomed guests, which is disappointing after spending over $400 on lunch. Admittedly it was a rainy day, so the staff were stressed trying to accommodate everyone inside, but when the rain cleared and we asked to move outside, we were brushed off with excuses. Also we were brought the wrong meals twice, the first time they were removed and taken to the correct table, the second time , the plate was given to us on the House, which was appreciated. I don’t want to be overly critical, but service should better for the price of this restaurant. Many faults are forgiven if staff are friendly and welcoming. That said, the food was excellent and the setting is lovely, especially on a sunny day, so I would be happy to dine here again.

Reviewed 6 April 2018 via mobile

My experience at the cellar door was very disappointing. I took my family, who are wine novices and asked for some basic info about wine tasting. As soon as the lady doing the tasting heard this she looked at us as though we were bugs on her shoe. She was extremely condescending and disinterested, we felt like we were just an annoyance to her. I was new to wine tasting once too, and I’m glad my early experiences were much more positive than this one or I probably would have never continued.

We had come prepared to buy some bottles as gifts however the lady’s attitude completely put us off and we decided against it.

I will say that the food itself was delicious, can’t fault that. Butterflied prawns and lamb shoulder share plate were fantastic.

Reviewed 4 April 2018 via mobile

Went yesterday for lunch with my family and everything was amazing.We had 2 children with us and they seated us near the “children’s tree hut”the perfect entertainment for them while we were there.It is filled with toys and books for the children.The staff were incredibly attentive,friendly and knowledgable and we didn’t have to wait for anything.The food was spectacular the best we have had in a long time.We had the warm olives,platter and the eye fillet and the pear and prosciutto salad.The flavours just danced on your pallet. They also have a great childrens menu that isnt just made up of fried food which was great to see.The wine speaks for itself as a delicious taste of central otago.The general ambience is fantastic and it has a very relaxing yet elegant environment.We will definitely be going back and recommend it for anyone.

Reviewed 3 April 2018 via mobile

Met up with a friend for lunch.
Great little winery with excellent food.
The beef I had was superb- better in fact by a margin than the Wasabi fillet I had later in a top grill in Queenstown.
The Pinot Noir was very good too.
Definitely go again.
I’d say booking essential?

Reviewed 2 April 2018 via mobile

I arrived before the friend I was to meet. I asked for a table inside as it was 10c outside & was told they were fully booked as it was Easter Monday. My friend arrived who had booked so I was delighted to be ushered inside where we had a beautifully cooked breakfast, delicious & superbly presented in good time even though there were some large tables whose orders were taken before ours. There were 2 things which made it less than a fabulous breakfast, one was the fact that in the 2 hours we spent at the table, there were 4 empty inside tables which remained that way for the entire time, so absolutely no reason why we couldn’t have been seated inside at the outset without a booking. The other was the scores of sticky flies that continually landed on our table, our hands, the cutlery & crockery at our table & all the other tables around whether there were people or food at them or not. How hard can it be to have a couple of fly pifters in the restaurant to eliminate this problem? Contact Ecomist on their 0800 number & get it sorted guys! These 2 things ruined an otherwise fabulous restaurant experience.

Date of visit: April 2018
Deb P, Owner at Akarua Wines & Kitchen by Artisan, responded to this reviewResponded 3 April 2018

Hi Ruby, thanks so much for your feedback, happy to hear you enjoyed the food! With regards to tables / bookings, with Restaurant Management it’s also about what the Kitchen can manage and structuring the day so guests don’t have large delays by loading up the restaurant with every table full at the same time, structuring the bookings so it flows well to avoid delays and keeping customers happy is very important. Thanks for the number on the flys, a new we have also just noticed and will make a plan of attack. Warm regards Deb