“Modern, clean, excellent”

Airport Delta Motel
Ranked #30 of 146 Hotels in Christchurch
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed 31 December 2011

Location - 2 min drive from the airport, no surprise really as it's an airport motel :)
The rooms are quite modern, feel only recently furbished, they are very well equipped and clean. We stayed there on our last night in NZ and it was a very nice way to end the whole trip. It was certainly the nicest room we had in NZ.
The staff was super friendly and accommodating.

Stayed: December 2011, travelled as a couple
Lisa E, Manager at Airport Delta Motel, responded to this reviewResponded 18 May 2012

It's always nice to have guests return to us at the end of their travels around New Zealand.

Reviewed 28 December 2011

I stayed here whilst on a work trip and due to it being a motel and near an airport I wasn't expecting much however it far exceeded my fussy standards!
I checked in late at night and the key to my room was exactly where I was told it would be.
My room was lovely and clean and very comfortable.
I was very happy with the bathroom and this is usually an area in a hotel that I am most particular.
I had laundry done here and it was returned to my room by that evening which was an excellent help when I needed clean uniform for the next day.
I met the owners who were very welcoming and lovely people. Nothing was to much trouble even when I had to disturb them after hours when I had locked myself out of my room.
Even after I had checked out the excellent service continued. I had left a bracelet in the room, which I had not realised until they emailed to let me know that they had it posted back to me in Australia.
I was very happy with the time I spent at the Airport Delta Motel and would thoroughly recommend this accomodation to others.

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled on business
1  Thank OllyMc

Pleased to hear we can please a guest with 'fussy standards'.

Reviewed 26 December 2011

Originally I wasn't going to write a review for this property. The nearly 12-year old and I jetted in from KL after midnight and out again to Auckland at 9am the next morning - and judging the Delta on a mere 8 hours acquaintance (mostly sleeping) just didn't seem fair. But then I thought about it again. A short, sharp experience when you're a bit fragile really puts a hotel to the test - there's no room for error.
And the Airport Delta came up trumps. For starters it's circa 7 minutes from the airport, door to door. Although gotta say the $NZ23 for the taxi was a little steep :-p Lovely driver though, good strapping Canterbury bloke, and very helpful with our heavy bags.
It's a well lit and visually appealing property, which gives a good impression from the get-go. Out came the bags, and onwards with the check-in process (arranged previously via internet). Frankly I was a bit trepidatious. At 1am after long haul en famille you do not want things to be nearly right, you want it absolutely no-worries exactly right, as you have ZERO tolerance for faffing around. And it was. The key was in the easily found dropbox right where Mike said it would be, and there were no annoying niggly little things.
Hint #1: Carry a little notebook for hotel addresses, metro stations and dropbox combination numbers, saves angst when braindead.
Hint #2: Pop in the ear plugs, as others come later and there's no way you can unload quietly on a still Canterbury evening.
Those important little things: there was enough light to see into the drop box, the keys had big plain easily read numbers so you didn't have to ask the 12 year old or fumble for your glasses, and ours was clearly labeled with my name. Zero ambiguity. There is a little ramp instead of a step into the room, so you don't have to heave your heavy suitcase noisily over the sill - or up stairs, as clever Mike put us in a downstairs room. Zero hassle. Nice warm fluffy towels in the bathroom (with heated floor - soooo grateful for that in 11C), complimentary squares of Whittakers chocolate to sweeten us up, the right kind of milk in the fridge (they asked), good quality sheets, boofy pillows, comfy beds, correct room configuration, beautiful tap water, restful decor - everything was totally spot on. Sparkling clean, crisp, restful, quiet and efficient on check out. Finally met Mike in person, another strapping Canterbury man (there don't seem to be any other sort!) who understands brain dead people and has good strong espresso on offer at reception.
The over-riding impression was a smooth operation run by smart people. Exactly what you need at 1am. Well done Airport Delta - we'll be back.

Room Tip: I would ask for a downstairs room, as lugging bags upstairs doesn't appeal when you're not t...
  • Stayed: December 2011, travelled with family
2  Thank Victoria451

Being an airport motel we have a lot of one night guests and this is exactly the impression we hope to make on all of them. Excellent tip for the late night arrival - not only will a downstairs room save you carrying your bags up the stairs it is nice to open the drapes in the morning and sit out on your own table and chairs in the garden.

Reviewed 5 December 2011

We had an excellent stay at this motel in Unit 1 after a longish flight from eastern Canada and before getting our rental car to tour the south Island. I choose this hotel because the Copthorne Hotel Commodore where we had stayed in our previous trip was not available (the hotel situation is difficult in Christchurch as most of the downtown hotels are still closed after the February earthquake). That turned out to be a blessing in disguise because the Airport Delta Hotel is, in my view, a better and cheaper option for those who do not need the facilities of a full service hotel. We were picked up promptly at the airport. The room was absolutely immaculate in addition of being large, comfortable and nicely decorated. There is a small nice garden in the back and side of the room with a table and two chairs but we did not use it as the weather did not cooperate. Internet is available at a fee but the price is reasonable (6.50 NZD for 24 hours with 300Mb). The only slight downside is the lack of dining options nearby for those, like us, without a car or unwilling to use the nice cooking facilities in the room. There is a mini market and a few non-inspiring take away stores a few minutes away on food and the hotel has also some basic food supplies on sale. We eventually ended up at the Monteith’s Brewery Bar where we had an excellent meal and beer. The hotel had offered to drop us there but we decided to go on foot. It was farther than we expected (20-25 minutes) but it was a good way to get some exercise after a long flight. We stayed also for another night on our way back to Christchurch in a second floor unit. The unit was as comfortable but it lacked the garden patio of the ground floor unit
Room tip: Choose Unit 1 which is at the end of the building toward the road and has additional windows on the side of the unit and an additional and more private patio. It is the closest unit to the road and is potentially more exposed to street noise but that was not an issue because of decent sound proofing and light traffic at night

Room Tip: Choose Unit 1 which is at the end of the building toward the road and has additional windows on the...
  • Stayed: November 2011, travelled as a couple

Excellent tip. Room one is a lovely room that gives you two options for sitting outside. Generally (if the weather cooperates) you can always find a nice sunny spot to read the paper.

Reviewed 5 December 2011

We stayed in this motel at the beginning and end of our trip. It is modern, clean and a well appointed self catering motel. The beds are great the ensuite modern and well appointed .The noise insulation between rooms is excellent. Close to the airport - but no aircraft noise. The management was really helpful on both occasions that we stayed and made a great start and end to our trip possible. Will certainly use again.

Room Tip: if traveling with lots of luggage - try to get a downstairs room - very easy access for bags etc.
  • Stayed: November 2011, travelled as a couple

Our guests are often surprised by how quiet our units are. The double glazing helps a lot.