See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed 18 January 2013

After reading the reviews for this hotel I was a little bit worried about staying here, the hotel was booked as part of a tour package I was about to undertake for pre and post accom.
I arrived rather early in the morning 6am and the staff kindly took care of my bags and informed me my room should be ready around lunch time if not earlier they were just waiting on the guests to check out.
By 10am I was in my room, the beds were comfortable the decor a little out dated and the bathroom could have been a little cleaner but overall i was expecting a lot worse than what I got, one thing you have to take into consideration with this hotel is they lost part of it in the 2011 earthquakes.
I was happy with my stay both times I was there.

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled solo
2  Thank ldodsy
Reviewed 2 January 2013

We stayed here for one night on the way home from a family Christmas in Canterbury, and we not impressed with the low standards. We booked a room at the Avalon Hotel, who over-booked their hotel and sent us to Bealey's. We had to share a single bed, and we not aware of this before given our room. The blanket was ripped, and there was no Sky TV, only basic cable. Our room was right in front of reception, and the shuttle van was dropping people off all night. The walls are thin and could hear people talking through the walls and outside all night. I would have rather stayed at a backpackers for the same experience and saved half the money.

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 6 December 2012

I had booked and paid for one night's stay at this hotel and after travelling for over 30 hours from UK I was looking forward to freshening up before enjoying a meal and a few drinks in Speights Ale House but this was not to be as upon my arrival I was confronted by the rudest woman I have ever met in my life who promptly told me I was not staying there! When I showed her my booking form she took it off me and said that I was being moved to another motel and despite my query as to why the only reply I received was that 48 rooms had been lost in the earthquake. Whilst I am sympathetic to the devastion which has so greatly affected this city I had to ask why then was money taken from my account to pay for my stay some 10 days previously? I received no coherant reply whatsoever and when I enquired as to how I was to get to this new accommodation she suggested that I run after the taxi cab that had just dropped me off! She was being quite serious about this and I was lucky enough to catch him before he drove back to the airport. I asked for my booking form back but she snapped that she would be keeping it as Bealeys had paid for my accommodation at the new motel. At this point I simply gave up and left the premises.
I would warn anyone reading this review to avoid this place at all costs, the woman in question clearly dislikes dealing with the public and if she is the front line of Bealeys then I am certain you can find better service absolutely anywhere else within the city!

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled solo
1  Thank dayzee_darl
Reviewed 19 November 2012

We stayed at this hotel during cup week.
We found the unit we stayed in dated but ok compaired to what we paid.
They had obviously been decimated by the earthquake as the outside surrounds were a bit rough, but it was to be expected.
With some of the rooms demolished there was plenty of parking.
Speights Ale House is attached to the hotel that provide consistant mid priced meals with good Irish music even on cup night.
The staff at the hotel were very obliging and treated us in a very profesional manor.
This centrally located hotel is worth a visit we will stay here again

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Gladdyman
Reviewed 15 September 2012

Not a whole lot can be said about this property. You need to take into consideration what has happened to this city. This city has been torn apart, and there really aren't many options for accommodation. This property once had rooms of much higher standard – but these were destroyed by the Earthquake not once, but twice! Now have been demolished and are the car park at the back.

The rooms they currently have available are of very low standard, but how are they supposed to renovate or revamp this property with no money.... Give this hotel a chance, as long as you don't expect much (and don't pay and arm and a leg) you can't go wrong. It is very basic and I'm 100% sure you would of stayed somewhere much nicer, but the little it has is great. The Speights Ale House located right on the property is great for young people or party goers (definitely pre-book for a table for dinner- as it is popular to eat at).. but far enough away to sleep at night. Probably the most exciting property in Christchurch at the moment.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled with friends