See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed 3 February 2017

The general feel of the hostel is run down, grubby and dangerous.

Staff at reception seemed totally incompetent with the job in hand and seemed to let anyone enter the hostel creating a strange feeling as locals mixed with backpackers.

The room I had was smelly but with a tiny window for fresh air (other dorm room had no windows at all), the shower room attached with the light on could be seen by other room users so if you don't mind people watching you shower it might be alright. The main shower block smelt strongly of urine but perhaps this was from drunk behavior rather than lack of cleaning.

Guests here partied at night and walked into rooms with music playing on phones while others slept, most dorm rooms were left wide open so security for me was an issue. We also had a non guest sleeping in our room one night and found random people sleeping in the TV room also. The door code was not changed throughout our stay which could easily have fixed this issue.

I had sympathy for the night porter and cleaners though who have to deal with the locals staying there and the resulting chaos. The owner however must take responsibility and start implementing changes with who is allowed to stay here and improve security for the safety of backpackers.

If you stay here I urge you to stay alert and keep an eye on your things.

• Stayed: January 2017, travelled as a couple
pointbreakbp, Manager at Point Break Backpackers, responded to this reviewResponded 14 February 2017

We are sorry that you felt that the hostel was dirty and unsafe. We try very hard here to ensure that all guests, no matter where they are from, have a safe and enjoyable stay at our backpackers.
In terms of the doors being left unlocked and open, we are working hard to educate our guests that the doors do not lock automatically. This is an older building and as funds allow we are updating security. The code for the guest entry to the hostel is changed on a regular basis and we monitor, to the best of our abilities, who is coming into the hostel. If we are told, at the time of the incident, that there is someone in the hostel that guests feel shouldn't be there or who is making them uncomfortable we will act on this immediately.
I hope that the rest of your trip met your expectations.

Reviewed 31 January 2017

Stopped off for a bite to eat here soon after landing from a long-haul flight. The cafe was easy to find as is brightly painted with free parking nearby. In the town and close to the shore.Plenty of space for luggage, backpacks etc in the cafe and room to sit comfortably on the sofas to relax or at tables. Menu was varied and good value for money. Food was very tasty. Decor is bright and fun with a surfy vibe. Service was very good and free WiFi was consistent and fast (a big plus in NZ). There is a backpacking hostel attached to the cafe but non-hostelers can eat here too - cafe open early till late.

• Stayed: March 2016, travelled as a couple
pointbreakbp, Owner at Point Break Backpackers, responded to this reviewResponded 9 May 2017

Thank you for your custom at our cafe. We appreciate the feedback about the atmosphere, quality and value that we try to provide.
Regards
Point Break Team

Reviewed 22 December 2016

At point break during my stay, I was given 20GB Worth of Internet. The food service is amazing, Point break has a NEW OWNER, she is a really nice lady. I had their Fish & Chips for $12NZD and it was the best fish & chips I had tasted. The point break team is turning that company around. A New Owner, New Food, New Rules, I had hosted 4 movies in 2 nights, I was given free food and was very respected. I had seen these people just come in from Thailand, they wanted a list of attractions, Point break had all the Bus Info, Activities and all the events that were on around the city. I think that the service here was really good. I stayed for 7 days and the owner wanted me to stay for another 4 weeks, she has even put on X-MAS LUNCH. People at point break will respect you, the staff will take good care of you and even if you run out of food, the staff are there to help. I walked into the kitchen during cards, and I was offerd pizza, Someone had gone down to the local countdown and brought meat, and then selled it for HALF THE PRICE. I think point breaks prices are CHEAP and AFFORDABLE

Room Tip: Beach and mall 5 minutes down the road
  • Stayed: December 2016, travelled with family
Reviewed 22 December 2016

I stayed here for a week. And the serivce was really great. I had a wonderful stay and would highly recomed to enyone. The staff were finely and the food was great as i had lunch there when i stayed.So make sure you go along and check it out.

Room Tip: Ask for twin room really nice
  • Stayed: December 2016, travelled with family
Reviewed 30 November 2016 via mobile

Came for lunch while looking at a nearby project. Food was cheap enough however the woman running the cafe dropped a fish and tomato sauce off my plate onto the floor. I expected another fish cooked, however I was met by a price of fish with broken batter and tomato sauce stains on it. She said it was a spare one that she cooked. I told her I found it hard to believe that anyone would cook portions as a spare. She said it was from her lunch, though I never did see her stop to eat her ghost lunch. Left it untouched after leaving. No point complaining to someone who doesn't care. Hopefully I save someone else a disappointing experience.

Stayed: November 2016, travelled on business
pointbreakbp, Owner at Point Break Backpackers, responded to this reviewResponded 4 December 2016

Thank you for bringing this to my attention I will be discussing this with the person invovled. Sorry for the bad experience I hope we do better next time.