“Disappointed ”

Cuisines: Chinese
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed 6 April 2018 via mobile

We have been several times now and this time we took friends.
So disappointing, the service was appalling, the staff all looked miserable and tired. The meal was just ok, not hot too rushed. The toilets were in a bad state. For our friends their first impressions mean they won’t return.

Reviewed 7 March 2018 via mobile

Went to madame Kwongs the other day and had an average experience. I like how they do the trolleys for yum cha but sadly the trolleys aren’t keeping the food warm enough so I was really disappointed.

For example XLB were so cold the soup inside had congealed. There were a few other dishes that came out the same way.

Tip if I returned I’d be asking what’s fresh on the trolley so as to ensure warm / hot food or Id order off the menu and not off the trolley.

Service was also a tad poor - took a while to get tea. We even bought along our own tea leaves so we just needed an empty pot. When the pot came though there were still tea leaves in the pot - it had not been cleaned properly!

Not sure I’d go back when there are now better Yum Cha options in Christchurch.

Reviewed 4 March 2018

Dropped into Madam Kwong’s last Sunday and really enjoyed it! Lots of choice, served lovely and fresh and hot. Tasty, just what you want. Lots of staff to help out, altogether a lovely lunch and great value for money. It’s a busy place and great to people watch.

Reviewed 19 February 2018

I telephoned on Friday & spoke with a gentleman to reserve a table for 6 people for Saturday evening. I explained we wanted to have Peking Duck - he said it was not necessary to order this in advance. When we arrived on Saturday evening they did not have our reservation. After a wait of some time a table was found for us. After quite a wait we managed to place our food order (our waiter was not familiar with the tablet he was using to record our dishes - nor was he familiar with the dishes themselves). We ordered peking duck - he subsequently came back to the table and advised they had none. We ordered a chicken dish and he came back to the table after placing the order to advise they had also run out of all chicken dishes. It was extremely hot inside the restaurant - they have airconditioning units & fans - non of which were running that evening - despite requests from our table & others we heard with the same complaint that it was unbearably hot inside. The wait staff and those clearing the tables were most unhelpful and extremely slow in attending to any request. We have been to Madam Kwong's on many previous occasions but will not return.

1  Thank sueS6300CO
Reviewed 18 February 2018

I went to Madam Kwong's today with my friends as I'm leaving Christchurch for Auckland soon. The restaurant is indeed massive with 2 floors of dining areas.The food was average.But that doesn't matter because this restaurant probably offers the worst service among the Chinese restaurants in town. The restaurant seemed quite popular as when we entered the restaurant, we stood by the reception for about 10 mins. After that, we were served with inpatient staff with poor English skills who had no smile or politeness.The most frustrating and unbearable part is that after we ordered jasmine tea and waited for a good 15 mins, THERE WERE 4 BUGS FLOATING IN MY TEA when it was served!!!!! When I told the waiter it is a serious problem, he simply smirked and shrugged!!! NO APOLOGIES AT ALL!!!! When we went to pay at the reception and showed the photo to the staff, she said it is the tea leaves and she will change the batch. NEVER GOING BACK TO THIS HORRIBLE PLACE AGAIN!!!!

1  Thank Florenz F