See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed 14 December 2014

Stayed here for 4 nights on my first visit to New Zealand and couldn't have been made more welcome. The house was spotlessly clean, beds were extremely comfortable and breakfast was yummy. The spa bath in the huge bathroom was a lovely luxury after a 30hour journey!
Would highly recommend for a couple or group of friends who want to feel like they are at home!

John and Ping made us so welcome and want for nothing, cannot thank you enough.

Stayed: December 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank Daniella28
Reviewed 15 October 2014

I was a bit worried whether the rooms would be up to my standards given that I am a bit picky with hotels and the price is quite modest compared to the price we paid for other B&Bs/Hotels during our stay in the south island of New Zealand. However, it turns out that the rooms are great - spacious, modern, clean, comfortable and so is the bathroom (which comes with a SPA bathtub!). It is probably the best value B&B we have ever stayed with.

The hosts John and Ping are friendly and accommodating. It was a shame that we arrived late night and left early the other morning so we did not have much time talking with John and Ping. But from the brief chat we had with them, we could already feel their warmth and hospitality. It is also worth mentioning that they only take one group of guests per night to preserve the guests' privacy and avoid any unwanted disturbance from other unknown guests.

• Stayed: October 2014, travelled with friends
3  Thank glorialwang
Reviewed 17 April 2014

My wife, our daughter and myself stayed with John and Ping for two nights in late 2013 during our visit to New Zealand. It was undoubtedly one of the best b and bs we have been to anywhere in the world. From the moment we arrived we were treated like members of their own family. The rooms were spotlessly clean and we appreciated a welcoming cup of coffee when we arrived at a late hour on our first night. John was particularly helpful in pointing out places of interest in Christchurch and in Akaroa and in collecting me from the airport after I had dropped back our rented car. The beautiful evening meal on the second night was also much appreciated. All in all we had a wonderful experience at Olive House and would heartily recommend it to any visitors to Christchurch.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 6 April 2014

My wife and myself have just returned from Christchurch.We stayed 5 nights with John and Ping and the dog.We were treated as part of the family and were sad to leave.The room was perfect with a great bathroom with spa.spotlessly clean with beautiful gardens.The breakfast was good along with the tips we were given of places to visit.John even gave us a surprise meal on our last night,Lovely couple an hope to be friends for a long time.Hope to see them in Tassie soon.

Room Tip: Home is perfect in a very quiet cul de sac
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 1 March 2014

We stayed with John and Ping in their beautiful home prior to leaving NZ from Christchurch Airport. It felt like home from home and we were spoilt in a beautiful room with a fantastic ensuite bathroom with a spa bath! John and Ping were the perfect hosts and served up a delicious evening meal for us which we ate with them. Had we had more time we would have been able to relax on their terrace in a beautiful "English" garden.The location couldn't have been better as it was an easy drive to the airport with no traffic worries.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple