“Don't stay here”
Review of Cherry Tree Lodge

Cherry Tree Lodge
Ranked #136 of 146 Hotels in Christchurch
Reviewed 12 February 2016

Rooms are dirty and old. Have to dry hair in kitchen as no power points near any mirrors. No light over mirror in bathroom. Bed has springs poking through. Just had to go and buy toilet paper after pressing on owners doorbell for 15 minutes and no answer when you phone Reception. NOISY. Room hasn't been vacuumed for the past 5 days. Would have to be without doubt the worst hotel I have ever stayed in. Unfortunately for me I'm here for another 7 days - the whole of Christchurch is booked out and I cannot locate alternative accommodation. Will be recommending to my Company that we no longer put ANYBODY up in this hell hole.

Room Tip: There are no good rooms!
  • Stayed: February 2016, travelled on business

Reviewed 26 June 2015

Whilst on a motorcycling winter getaway I found myself in need of a room. Since the earthquakes in Christchurch accommodation of most types has been in shorter supply (especially quality well priced accommodation).
I rode pas Cherry Tree Lodge and noticed they had a vacancy - I was pleasantly surprised that the proprietor was willing to negotiate a tariff and was more than happy to show me a room. The room I booked was a studio room adjacent to the road, small but very tidy and well kept. It was well furnished BUT the heater did not work (however there was a small oil heater in the wardrobe which kept the chill off)
The in road within 10 feet of the front door (possibly due tot he glazing). I wouldnt hesitate to stay again.

Room Tip: If you are traveling alone or as a couple the studio unit should be fine for a short (1 or 2 night...
  • Stayed: June 2015, travelled with family
Reviewed 23 June 2015 via mobile

I booked this motel earlier in the day direct with them and advised them that we would be arriving late 11pm after a long journey from north island. On arrival the reception area smelled like a chinese takeaway. I paid cash which went into his pocket quicker than a rocket. We were told where the room was and hoping that they may have put the heater on to be greeted by a room that was so cold we could see our breath. No heater on at all and temperature outside to be going down to -7 overnight. I managed to put the heater on which showed the room temperature to be 5 degrees. It went off when room got to 6 degrees despite setting it to 24.
I went back to reception to ask if he was able to work the heater and he pulled out oil heater out cupboard and plugged it in. I questioned why he would not think to put heater on when such a cold night. He ignored me. I asked for a refund which he refused. I enquired whether he wanted a bad review and he shrugged his shoulders and said he didnt care! So here it is. I should have known better when there was no other cars in the car park. Will I go back? Thats a big fat NO.
I will recommend everyone to avoid this poor excuse of a motel even if its the last one available in Christchurch. A very bad first night experience. Lets hope our stay improves. Decor very dated. 3 very small milks in fridge for 2 people. Terrible smelly cold place to stay. Temperature now 10 after an hour with 2 heaters on. As per photo. On top of the cold, there was a dirty coffee or tea stained blind by the front door

Stayed: June 2015, travelled with friends
Reviewed 23 June 2015 via mobile

Absolutely terrible. -7 outside and equally as cold in the room. Staff were so so rude. Dirty room, dusty old blind, old bedding. Turned up and the place was just about empty no surprise to me. Disgusting. Would not recommend to anyone. If you want a dirty cold room with rude staff and limited English you will get It here. Dont waste money on the place.

Stayed: June 2015, travelled on business
Reviewed 22 April 2015

Old and dated, needs a complete re frbish, over priced some of the dishes had old sugar on them,
had to ask for wifi access, selection of sky channels poor, with no real instructions for accessing them

• Stayed: April 2015, travelled solo