See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed 1 June 2010

Arrived and was pleased to see position and that we had a view overlooking cathedral square.
Room was large two double beds with electric blanket,but we always travel with hot water bottle.
The reviews we had read were correct,it is noisy at night as the backpackers is next door and being central to other hotels the square is a stop and drop,but if the noise worries you,use some ear pugs,we found the views worth putting up with the noise ,espessially as it rained non stop day and night for the 7 days and nights,so was great to sit with a fan radiater ,sipping a drink and looking out over the square at all that was happening outside.
Yes there is bell ringing practice at the cathedral for 2 hours tuesday,but we enjoyed it.
The staff all nice and helpful,while it is a budget hotel,it was better than we expected.
Was not impressed with the breakfast,better value at Bailles part of the old warner hotel near by.
A shame as breakfast was dissapointing made us decide not to eat in the restuarant for other meals.
Did enjoy the meals at Bailees,close by.
The highlight of trip was the Tranzalpine rail trip,light snow on top of several mountain peaks,great commentary ,terrific staff,also great to get free pick up to train,and only 5.OO TRANSFER BACK.Terrific so close to free city circle bus,free to top shops and frr bus to casino,cheap meals at casino,but did find the buffet lunch had gone back from last visit was dissapointed.
It was the wettest period on record,but because of our great view we still had a good time.
We also enjoyed the church service on sunday morning,and after a bit of a hassle we found the right metro bus that got us to,northland and westfield, great airflight with pacific blue ,
Back home and saving hard to have another adventure ,thanks to everyone who submits to trip advisor enabling us to have great budget holidays

• Stayed: May 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank merlie
Reviewed 29 March 2010

This hotel is in a very central location, but that also means noise from the Square and of course lack of parking. Other than that, the hotel was clean, rooms roomy, beds lovely to sleep in.

• Stayed: March 2010
1  Thank janeys25
Reviewed 20 December 2009

Good location right in the square overlooking the cathedral. Can get noisy with the single pane windows and the staff are not the friendliest. Big room and huge bed but 2 single mattresses pushed together with one duvet cover can be uncomfortable.

• Stayed: November 2009, travelled with family
1  Thank shawshank81
Reviewed 15 December 2009

I've stayed in the Camelot hotel twice on different dates. The first night I had a room facing the cathedral and the cathedral square. It surely is a nice view but very noisy too! The windows are made of single glass and one of them couldn't be closed entirely. I heard every single noise - I even overheard people's conversations on the square. Unfortunately this part of Christchurch never gets quiet. The busses and trams stop driving after a certain time but the people continue to make noises until early morning. When I checked out the following day, I asked the lady at the reception to reserve a more quiet room for me, as I was to stay there again at the end of my tour (yep, all my hotel bookings were done by a tour operator, so I didn't really have a choice). When I checked in there again for the second night, I found out they indeed gave me the most quiet room they had, even though it also had single glass windows and was still a little noisy, being at the back of the building. The room was a lot nicer and cleaner than the first one too (the bathroom of that room looked quite dirty. The white marbled walls looked black, as if there had been a fire). Even though my second stay was a lot better than the first one, I wouldn't rate this hotel as a three star, but rather as a two star accommodation. To end on a positive note: the staff was excellent. They really did an effort giving me the quiet room and they were very friendly!

• Stayed: November 2009, travelled solo
1  Thank sofke8868b
Reviewed 6 December 2009

The hotel is at the heart of the city. This place has lot of life around it till past mid night. We were there on the new year eve and had the chance to witness the festivites happening at the cathedral square.

Good eateries are all in the walking distance. Indian travellers can relish Indian food at the Indian resturants in the near vicinity.

The tram station is nearby and so is the i-site. so you can also book yourself for all sight seeing and adventure activities very easily.

Hotel has a big laundry area well provided with washing machines so the travellers can wash their clothes at negilgible price. A real cool assistance for many :-)

Staff was good and the hotl's own recturants too serves quality food

• Stayed: December 2008, travelled with family