“perfect location good value”

Dorset House Backpackers
Budapest, Hungary
“perfect location good value”
Reviewed 7 March 2012

We only spent one night at Dorset but was a good choice. Easy access (5 min walk) to the airport bus stop (bus number 29). Close the centre although its closed because of the earthquake.
Jessica at the reception was helpful and give us a map and all the information we needed.
The wifi is fast and free up to 100 mega per person. Provided by Zebu, code from the reception.

• Stayed March 2012
1 Thank smicy5
DorsetHouseChch, Manager at Dorset House Backpackers, responded to this review, 18 March 2012
Hi, thank you so much for your stay with us and for your feedback. I'm really glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay and that you found the location convenient.

Many things have moved location in Christchurch recently - we are quite lucky now to be located close to all of the public bus drop-off locations, as well as the tourism information centre. The airport bus now goes past our door and drops people off 2 minutes around the corner. Things are changing rapidly but we always have up-to-date information at reception. :)

We wish you all the best with your travels, and hope you enjoyed seeing beautiful NZ!

Best regards
Angela
Manager
Dorset House

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (28)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Dijon
Reviewed 21 July 2011

Nice stuff, can help you if you need to know something
Twin room/ our double room (we stayed in those 2) on first floor were clean, and comfy, but during our stay, it was so hot, and there was no air-con or even a fan.
Bathrooms are clean, and that's a point I care about !
Kitchen is all furnished, enough cookers for everyone.
Small parking available for clients ! that is a good point too !
The backpacker is about 15 minutes walk to town.
Nice place, good value, would go back.

• Stayed December 2010, travelled with friends
1 Thank Viliv
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed 29 April 2011

One thing I would say about Dorset - it's great! Despite the unfortunate earthquake that hit Christchurch, Dorset staff were more than accommodating. The hostel itself was in the "roped off" area, and I could not stay there. However, Angela made arrangements for me to stay in the Dorset Apartments a little out of the center of town. She also arranged shuttle transportation to take me to and from the apartments. The individual apartment that she assigned me was clean, comfortable, and charming. It is in a quiet, safe neighborhood. I understand that I'm not reviewing the hostel itself, but I must give definite five stars for the service and the accommodations that Angela and company provided me. I wold definitely recommend them to anyone!

• Stayed March 2011, travelled solo
DorsetHouseChch, Manager at Dorset House Backpackers, responded to this review, 12 May 2011
Hi there, thank you so much for your kind review. I'm glad your stay in the apartment was comfortable and that everything went smoothly for you while travelling through Christchurch. Definitely 'interesting times' but our guests were all so wonderful with the alternative arrangements we made for them, and we really appreciated it. :) All the best with your travels,
Kind regards
Angela
Manager, Dorset House
Singapore
Reviewed 16 March 2011

I read positive reviews about the Backpacker but they have been fully booked. As the 1 BR apartment was still available and the price was the same or slightly higher than the Backpacker it was an easy choice and we did not regret it. Having our own apartment for the last night after a 3 weeks trip through NZ was definately great. We were lucky staying at the ground floor. The apartment had everything what is needed. Spacious bedroom, decent size living room, kitchen and bathroom. All in old style but this is what I liked about it when I booked it. Reminded me of my grandmothers place - nostalgia ;-). The only point which was a disappointment was the parking provided. With todays cars you dont fit into these garages at all but we had a nice neighbour who recommended to park on the street where there is plenty of free parking available! It is walking distance to the city center (we stayed at Peterborough street) and it was nice and quiet. There is no reception - so make sure that you have your PIN with you that was provided in the confirmation email. Can really recommend that place!

• Stayed January 2011, travelled as a couple
Bangkok, Thailand
Reviewed 27 January 2011

I stayed in Double room for 2 nights in November 2010 ... It was really great hotel
Clean and comfortable.. shared bathroom and toilet always available
wi fi internet was good .... nice living room and pool table
Great management !

PS. Thanks for FREE FOOD in the kitchen,,, save my life lol.

• Stayed November 2010, travelled as a couple