“Tantalising Tastings with Katrina”

Marlborough Wine Tours
Full-Day Marlborough Catamaran Cruise with Wine Tour and Lunch
Ranked #9 of 40 Food & Drink in Blenheim
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Tantalising Tastings with Katrina”
Reviewed 16 March 2017

We were cruising around New Zealand on the Holland America ship Noordam. Previously we had always booked excursions through the ship and this was to be our first try at going it alone. We were a little apprehensive but we certainly didn't need to be. After transferring by shuttle from the port of Picton to the i-site tourist information centre we had no trouble finding the Marlborough Wine Tour vans. There were just eight of us plus our guide/driver Katrina.
Our first stop was at Whiehaven Wines. We tasted 7 of their wines. Next stop was Omaka Springs, a lot smaller operation owned by a former British Airlines pilot. Amongst others we tried 2 vintages of Sav Blanc a 2014 and 2015. We also sampled a Gruner Veltliner (Austrian grape variety) and the olive oil they produce. Next up was Spy Valley wines. This winery gets its name from the satellite monitoring station further down the road. A large operation with a very modern cellar door. We tasted 7 wines in total. As you can imagine the conversation was flowing just like the wine by now. We went to St Clair Winery for lunch and another tasting. The wines here were considerably more expensive compared to the previous wineries we had visited. Whereas most Sav Blancs were under $20 here they were $30 +. The lunch (our expense) was excellent, My wife and I both had a warm lamb salad. This was supposed to be our last stop but Katrina our driver took us to No. 1 Estate. They only produce sparkling wine of which we tried 4. Lastly we visited a handmade chocolate shop and had a couple of samples. On the way back to the ship Katrina took us to a viewing area overlooking the Noordam. Going by this excursion we will certainly be looking at more independent tours in the future. I would have no hesitation in recommending this tour to anyone on a cruise ship. If there is a delay in disembarking they will wait for you and they also guarantee to make sure you make it back to the ship. There is no doubt this tour was excellent value for money compared to tours booked through the cruise line. We tasted far more wines, we were a group of 8 compared to perhaps 30 plus on the ships tour. Katrina was an excellent no nonsense guide and this along with great company made for a very enjoyable day.

Visited March 2017
1 Thank Greg W

4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“Unorganized and not exactly what we expected.”
Reviewed 7 March 2017

My husband and I booked this tour along with a friend months before taking it. We were among the first to arrive and were led to Nikki's bus. About 10 minutes later, the owner of the company told our friend that she had to join another group because they were trying to accommodate another couple on our bus. We protested because when we sent in payment we noted that there were three of us traveling together. She insisted and pulled our friend off the bus. Then another 10 minutes later we were told to join her on Chris's bus. What? Chris provided no history or information of any kind for the duration of the trip. In fact, when asked the name of a mountain range, he did not know it! The wine tastings were nice but there were too many of them (yes, it's possible). There was even a tasting with lunch. When we arrived at our last tasting,it was clear that someone had slipped up and they were not expecting us. We were sent on our way. Chris did manage to find a fourth winery to accommodate us. P.S. chocolate stop was great!

3 Thank Jill L
Marlboroughwinetours, Owner at Marlborough Wine Tours, responded to this review, 15 March 2017
Hi Jill.
You have actually posted on the wrong site .Reason being we do not a have a Niki or a Chris working for us . If at anytime a booking for 3 people or separte booking's are made with us and you are travelling together we will make sure that you are doing the tour together. I am sorry you did not enjoy your Marlborough Wine Tour .
We are the original Wine Tour so go by the name of Marlborough Wine Tours ...only.
Unfortunately other companies use this name so the confusion.
We do hope next time that you are in Marlborough it is a much more enjoyable exprience.
Kind Regards . Tricia Pike (owner Marlborough Wine Tours.)
Chicago, Illinois
6 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Wonderful Experience at 4 great vineyards”
Reviewed 3 March 2017

I booked this half day tour online. Andy Pike was very helpful in answering questions. Our tour guide was Kevin and he was very knowledgeable. The four vineyards that we visited were all family owned. Each presenter at the vineyard was very enthusiastic. We had lunch at our last stop on our own cost. The food was excellent. We will start looking for Sauvignon Blanc wine from New Zealand as we really enjoyed it.

common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“Great Guide Great Wines”
Reviewed 22 February 2017 via mobile

Our guide Stephen really made the day for us. Bespoke full day tour including some of our favourites and some great boutique wineries. Just one other couple in our tour so between us our preferences were catered for. The tastings were informative and enjoyable. We bought some bottles en route! Nice lunch at Geisens who also had great wines. Also enjoyed Bladens and Forrests. The highlight of the day though was Stephen our guide who was so attentive and knowledgeable about the area and the wines. He was obviously well known to the wineries who seemed to put on a little extra for us. A poor guide would ruin a tour like this but not on this occasion. We finished the day with a brief scenic drive into the hills. We have enjoyed wine tours in Napa Valley and Hunter Valley and this day exceeded our expectations.

1 Thank Weniai
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Great experience, with amazing guide.”
Reviewed 15 January 2017

I booked online with the concern the tours would be fully booked, but I was lucky and I could get the tour.

Great customer service from Andy, who replied my email to confirm the booking as I was going to travel 8 hours plus from Christchurch due to road closed and the date I decided was the only I could visit the place.

The tour in detail:

I wen't on Thursday 5/01/17 I choose the full day tour which I think is the best choice to get in touch with the region.

I work in the wine business so I will not be impressed by just visiting boutique wineries, but I found the selection made by the tour guide KATE was outstanding, we visited wineries with soul, family owned, the wines were incredible. In total we visited 6 wine cellars with the extra of the beautiful landscape of Marlborough, plus one nice place at the end of the tour. We have lunch in one of the cellars, at your cost.

Very recommended for any wine lover, no need to be experienced, just let the team guide you.

The best of the tour: Wines, region, and an special mention to KATE the guide, her knowledge is impressive, very informative about any single detail of the tour.

More than pleased.