“Outstanding experience !!”

Marrakech Cafe Moroccan & Mediterranean
Ranked #271 of 1,031 Restaurants in Wellington
Reviewed 6 April 2018 via mobile

In our 2-week holiday in New Zealand, this was one of my favorite dining experiences. Loved, loved, loved the food here.

Immediately after disembarking from the Bluebridge Ferry in downtown Wellington, drove approximately 10 minutes along the waterfront to the Marrakech Cafe Moroccan and Mediterranean restaurant.

Their address is 305 Evans Bay Parade, but when I entered the address in my Garmin GPS, the closest address that came up was 374 Evans Bay Parade, so I entered that in and it got us close enough. Saw it on the Waterfront side of the street. Lots of free street parking nearby, and didn't have a hard time finding a space - even on a Friday night.

No one in my family had experienced Moroccan cuisine before. I had the Lamb Tagine, a delicious dish with a bone-in cut of lamb on a bed of couscous with a hearty plum sauce with other vegetables.
My son had the Beef Agadir, which included a mixture of sweet potatoes, almond slices, mushrooms, and. .

Although, this Lamb Tagine was my favorite entree, my favorite dish was the dessert. We all split a bachlava, which was served with a very creamy vanilla ice cream and whipped cream. Best bachlava I have ever eaten. We should have each gotten one of these tasty pastry-like creations which was in a sort of donut-style shape.

If I lived near Wellington, this restaurant would be a regular event in my life.

Reviewed 7 February 2018

We'd been intending to try the Marrakech each time we came to Wellington and finally succeeded. The wait and expectation was worthwhile. The service was prompt, informative and pleasant with our questions about preparation answered. The food was well prepared and presented and enjoyed by all at the table.
From our experience of Morrocan / ME food from our travels in the Gulf States we couldn't fault the Marrakech. Recommended.

Reviewed 13 January 2018

I've been eating at the Marrakech Cafe since I first moved to Wellington in 2013. Off the usual tourist trails and tucked amongst some townhouses, it is a true hidden gem. The service has always been with a smile. Food once took rather long to arrive when I came with a large group of 10, but quite understandable given Chef Abdel himself does all the cooking. My absolute favourite is the salma tagine, while lots of my friends love the lamb shank tagine. The harira is pretty good too if you just want a soup. They also do take away coffees and breakfast - the semolina pancakes are delicious!

Reviewed 4 January 2018

Driving to Wellington airport from Wairarapa, most eating places were closed, but a short diversion we found Marrakech Cafe. We were a bit early for the lunch menu but were able to get some really tasty bread and dips. The Humus was good and the eggplant dip was extra good. Latte and Moroccan coffee were very good too. Very pleasant staff and cosy, authentic cafe.

1  Thank janitaS
Reviewed 17 November 2017

For people who like to walk along the bay, the cafe is located on the way to recharge and to rest. For people who drive, it is not too far away from Hataitai or Kilbirnie.

Space is not too big and full of fresh air and quiet to enjoy the meal. The owner clearly makes a lot of efforts to decorate the space, which is interesting and full of Moroccan culture. The price of food is reasonable. It is rare to find Moroccan food in Wellington for anyone who misses Tagine, Moroccan salad and couscous, and tea and coffee. It is great to have a place like this to have Tagine..etc.

What I had was a chief special. It happens to be a lamb shank with chickpeas, couscous, and fruits, such as apricots, raisins. At the end, it has added sesame and almond on the top to have different layers of taste.

I understood the use of apricots to cook lamb. But when more fruits were added together with the sauce which seems sweet as well, the dish becomes too sweet for me. It is unclear whether the dish has been adjusted to meet kiwi's tastes. It does not work very well for me. Meanwhile, the lamb shank seems overcooked and becomes quite dry. Dry lamb would lose its juice to mix with the sauce and fruits. It may be another reason why the dish becomes too sweet.

I also had Moroccan tea which finally is not too sweet as what I had in Morocco. So the tea has offset the sweetness in the mouth and make it easier to have the dish.

If I will try again, I will definitely ask whether it is possible to make the dish less sweet. But that is just me. The dishes may be all right to people who do not mind the sweetness.

The service is quite friendly. The dishes and tea have been served fast. It didn't let me wait for long. I am quite surprised, especially after knowing it takes time to cook couscous and lamb.