“Great Hostel”
Review of YHA Wellington

YHA Wellington
Reviewed 2 March 2012

The location of the hostel is great, it is just a short walk to Cuba street and other great sites in Wellington. The rooms are clean and well designed, I was in a mixed 6 person dorm and had a great time. The kitchen facilities are well developed and set up to cater for large crowds. The bathroom facilities were very clean and well maintained throughout the day. The top floor laundry room has an amazing view out over the harbor.
We didn't sleep too well some nights, but that was due to a large group of school children that were staying there on a school excursion. But it made for a different experience.

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled with friends
There are newer reviews for YHA Wellington

Reviewed 1 March 2012

Generally very good, but service during this years fringe festival was appalling. One staff member, Becky was quite happy to send this kiwi out the door on crutches, despite having booked for both nights. No one told me I had to pay for the second night in advance, and only when I asked to see the management (which did not happen) did a bed suddenly become available. I have three more weeks on crutches and been staying in Wellington at the YHA since I was a boy. If you can't hire kiwis YHA please hire staff with a kiwi can do attitude

• Stayed: February 2012
Reviewed 2 February 2012

YHA Wellington City absolutely stands out for the great facilities. Kitchens are well equipped and spacious. The dvd room offers a large beamer and plenty of movies. And the communal spacious are also spacious and relaxing. Rooms itself are okay and clean, yet the bed could have been bigger for 2 persons. Great stay!

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 23 January 2012

After a lot of growling trying to book online with their horrendous website we arrived to find the computers down. Even though I had an email printout confirming our booking we were unable to book in until nearly 5pm. We couldn't unload in the unloading area as there were cars permanently parked there. The room was clean and tidy as was the bathroom. The bedding was clean although I have seen thicker slices of bread than the pillows. The facilities are great,The kitchen looked brilliant. Our room was a mixed 4 bed room ensuite, as it was at the front of the building it was a bit noisy especially when the local supermarket started moving a delivery with a fork lift truck at 5am. Also the TV lounge was in the laundry, great if you're waiting for your smalls to dry but noisy with the dryers on. Really though it was exactly what I expected from the YHA and I would use it again if I was going to Wellington.Cheap cheerful no frills accommodation.

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 23 January 2012

Stayed here for a week before my university semester started at the Victoria University of Wellington to get to know the city and university already. As all more authentic/personal hostels with more character were already booked out by the bulk of new international students I booked the YHA because of the great location (very near to waterfront, supermarket accross the road, in the middle of downtown). The female 4-bed dorm ensuite was neat and had a pretty new looking bahtroom. The floor was a bit dusty though upon arrival. The trouble began on the last but one day before departure. In the morning a grumpy reception desk lady entered my room and yelled at me why I did not leave before 10am with my stuff - well, because I booked until tomorrow? She said that I was not on the list for this room anymore and insinuated that I must be lying, very very very rude! This is not the way you treat your guests, under no circumstance!! (I was lucky to be there at that moment, otherwise they would have removed my stuff themselves..) She forced me to drag my stuff down immediately and then I had to ask the reception for verification. The guy at the reception immediately admitted he had made a mistake, apologised and offered me a double private room for the last night - of course neat. However, the double private room appeared to have no day light and the airconditioning was very noisy. All in all, my experience with the service of this YHA was terrible. Also, there almost always long cues at the reception desk (hire more staff) and they were not always that attentive. Positive things: in general there was a lot of information available about Wellington and the free bagel breakfast on Monday morning was nice. Would not recommend though.

• Stayed: February 2011, travelled with friends