“Need to lift your game”

Ranked #12 of 46 Hotels in Wellington
Surfers Paradise, Australia
“Need to lift your game”
Reviewed 27 March 2012

I have stayed at this hotel numerous times over the past 30 years. The experience this time was OK but not what I expect from the 'Jimmy Cook'. The restuarant feels drab and dark. The rooms lack colour. It's just dated and this iconic hotel should be renovated, inject some life back into it! As for front office staff, sadly I found them to be a little lacking when dealing with them. Nice enough but seemed no one really knew what was what. All of this said, I won't break with tradition on this property so we will go back there next trip.

• Stayed April 2011, travelled with family
SteveJMartin, General Manager at James Cook Hotel Grand Chancellor, responded to this review, 31 March 2012
Thank you for taking the time to write this review. I appreciate your loyalty and I am disappointed that your last experience was not the usual high standard that you are accustomed to. We are in the process of completing a soft refurbishment of our Lambton Rooms, which will result in a new vibrant colour scheme. Again, thank you for your feedback and hopefully your next stay will restore your faith in us.

Steve Martin

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (278)
Auckland Region, New Zealand
Reviewed 26 March 2012

We stayed in one of the Club Floor rooms and the room was in good condition, comfortable and had everything that you would expect, apart from an in-room safe for some reason.

The club lounge itself is not impressive. It has a nice view but it is small and the food and drink spread that is put on in the evening is nice enough but there is not much to choose from. If you were going to be paying the money for breakfast at the hotel anyway (more on that later) then I think you might just be able to get your money's worth if you stay in a room on the Club Floor, but I for one would not rave about it.

The hotel is well located with a lift down to Lambton Quay. Without exception the staff were all superb whenever we got to interact with any of them.

We dined at he Whitby's restaurant for one dinner and three breakfasts and the service was excellent but the coffee that is served with breakfast does win the prize for being the worst coffee that I have ever tasted.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
Hello,
Thank you for your review. I’m pleased you enjoyed your stay with us. Our Executive Club Lounge does present good value for money. An upgrade to the Club Floor includes a full buffet breakfast, complimentary internet access in your Club King Room, evening drinks and canapés and 24 hour access to the Club Lounge. We have endeavoured to create a space where our guests can relax and rejuvenate at the end of their day or in between sight-seeing and shopping. I appreciate your feedback and do look forward to welcoming you back here soon.

Kind regards
Auckland Region, New Zealand
Reviewed 19 March 2012

Positives:
An iconic Wellington hotel
Nice lobby/bar
Rooms are comfortable
Full hotel facilities - gym, 2 restaurants etc
I got a GREATt deal on Wotif, including a free drink on arrival

Negatives:
A little dated
The lobby bar/restaurant is nice but used as a public thoroughfare by peopel cutting through the hotel
Be aware that, late at night, they lock up the Lambton Quay entrance, and it's a long walk round to the Terrace entrance - and easy to get lost...

• Stayed March 2012, travelled with friends
Hello,
Thank you for your review. I’m pleased the positives outweighed the negatives during your stay with us. The thoroughfare in the lobby can get busy at certain times of the day as it connects Wellington’s main shopping and business districts. This foot traffic does provide a certain vibrancy and atmosphere in our lobby, as well as the opportunity to people-watch over a coffee or wine. Thank you once again for your feedback. I look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Hamilton, New Zealand
Reviewed 16 March 2012

Be warned...the novel begins

I stayed here last year with my husband and we were happy with the experience - so I was thrilled when I won a wonderful prize which included gorgeous gift vouchers to stay at the James Cook Grand (great I thought!)

These gift vouchers (One of which I'd given to my parents and one I'd kept) stipulated they could be used any Friday, Saturday and Sunday (including public holidays) with the only fine print being your standard "Bookings essential - subject to availability clause".

So I instantly thought a trip to the WOW awards for me, hubby, mum and dad. Bought those tickets through WOW (great service, went the extra mile to secure even better tickets than were shown so I was ecstatic) and then came what I can only describe as gift voucher discrimination or dodging (given that it started yesterday and ended this afternoon!)

Voucher dodging begins...

Day One

It started with a 'yes we have availability' to 'oh I don't think we accept vouchers though, it's WOW weekend'. This would have been fine if that's what my voucher excluded. I then explained that I didn't have my gift voucher with me but was sure that this event was not singled out (or anything else). (Sayali) then explained she'd get back to me by 12 after talking with her manager - I then had to call her back because she didn't call me but when I did, funnily enough she 'was just about to'. She then told me her manager said all vouchers 'stipulate they can't be used during special events and mine would have that on it' so I went home curious and a bit deflated but if that's what they all say then that's what they all say.

Day Two

As I thought the gift voucher did not state anything like that so I rang again, asked about availability (which there was) and then proceeded to utilise my gift vouchers. Same response - only this time Sayali needed to check again with her manager. I asked how long this would take - she didn't know but said she'd ring by 12. Again nothing, so I had to ring back, she was at lunch and would call me at 12.30pm, nothing so I called again (feeling like a little bit of a stalker now), she was still at lunch, so I asked to speak to her manager who as it turned out was also at lunch with her. So I waited some more (by this stage I really felt like a stalker) - this was confirmed when at my next attempt at a call back my call was diverted for a long time until 'low and behold' they were on the other line trying to call me (it's like they read my mind...or had Caller ID!)

So I finally had the manager (Stephanie) on the line: 'Our vouchers aren't applicable during special events and subject to availability means this' funny, because I thought subject to availability just meant that rooms needed to be available in order to book them (which they were - but probably not after this marathon game of phone tag). After awhile (I'm getting annoyed) Stephanie then said she'd get the General Manager to call me. I thought finally this could be good - he'd know - after all he signed the gift voucher and all that it offered.

So a bit happier knowing the GM would call me I did get a phone call back - but from Stephanie who said the GM said to tell me 'we do accept vouchers that weekend but all available rooms were taken' as if I didn't see that one coming but more to the point hang on a minute - you've just spent two days telling me that no vouchers are accepted during WOW weekend - so who are these mysterious 'voucher' people who've bucked the trend and been able to book during the unbookable WOW weekend and taken all the availability?

Probably the same people that come from the land of "Once upon a time" only by this time I was over that and over their successful attempt at managing to dodge my "scary" gift voucher bullet.

Well done James Cook Grand Hotel - thanks for the grand prize and service - you won me and lost me (and my husband parents and friends) in two days.

We live in a world of vouchers and coupons (this was a gift voucher from them) so it amuses me that a hotel of such high standing did such a great job of dodging 'the dreaded person with a gift voucher'. We aren't freeloaders so today it felt great to feel like one (yeah right).

But hey, if you don't have a gift voucher, cash is king here folks.

James Cook Hotel Grand - if you want to offer someone a gift/voucher/prize don't try to hide behind excuses for not permitting them or at least all be on the same page - it's more believable that way.

Room Tip: Great to get any, if you get through with a voucher
  • Stayed July 2011, travelled as a couple
SteveJMartin, General Manager at James Cook Hotel Grand Chancellor, responded to this review, 19 March 2012
Please accept my apologies for the confusion surrounding the use of your complimentary voucher. We support a large number of charitable causes by way of our team volunteering hours and by providing over-night accommodation vouchers and food & beverage vouchers for use in our restaurants. We honour all of these vouchers, subject to availability – which simply means when we know we will have rooms available we will accept the vouchers. There are of course a number of peak nights and events throughout the year when we know the hotel will fill, we do not accept complimentary vouchers on these nights. Please feel free to contact our reservations department to discuss alternative nights, we would love to have you come back and stay and I am sure we will provide you with the same enjoyable experience as last time.

Once again my apologies for the confusion.

Kind regards

London
Reviewed 16 March 2012

I will be looking at other hotels to stay at, simply due to the crazy price of their Internet. They should be supplying it for free rather than 60c a minute. Yes, 60c a minute, true daylight robbery. Goes up to $12.50 for two hours and $30 a day, but you get bugger all MB allowance.
You're better off buying a 3G USB stick for your computer if you stay, say, a week like I did.
Their laundry prices are also of the hotel rip-off pricing structure, $12.50 for a shirt for example, but that was expected at least.
Otherwise, nice place to stay, staff are friendly and helpful. Rooms are a looking a bit "tired" but acceptable. I got a room service burger one night and it was OK as well.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled on business
Thanks for your comments. In terms of our internet charges, currently $12.50 gets you 2 hours and 100MB or for $29.95 you get 24 hours access and 300MB – we do offer complimentary WIFI in our foyer area (20 minute blocks) and complimentary internet access up to 300MB per 24 hours in our Club Floor rooms.

Hopefully we can entice you back with our friendly service