Review Highlights
Highlight of our Cruise!!

We were the first ones off the ship and Craig was there waiting for us. We had a wonderful and... read more

Reviewed 27 September 2020
SoCalLori
San Diego, California
Private Tour

My wife booked this on line before we went to New Zealand & supposedly had only recently been... read more

Reviewed 25 May 2020
568marvinl
Bethune, South Carolina

See what travellers are saying:
Selected filters
Reviewed 24 June 2015

I would highly recommend this wonderful tour to anyone! I spent a day with Gary last week - it was the 5 hour tour, but went a little longer. Gary takes you around the rugged countryside and coastline surrounding Wellington including roads which are on private land to which he has access. As you travel he fills you in both on the country you and travelling through and his Maori cultural background. I am sure that each tour is unique - where he goes and what time he spends at locations clearly is determined by the desires of his guests. Some of the views are absolutely breathtaking - even on a cloudy somewhat damp day like the one we had.

Probably not the best day for the tour - the previous day there was a very high king tide and large waves which had made some coastal roads and tracks impassable. Nonetheless I returned feeling very relaxed and happy. If I am ever in Wellington again I will look him up for another tour.

Note that Gary gave me a tour even nthough he had no other passengers that day. I have found few operators willing to do that. It is clear that one reason he is in this line of work is that he enjoys meeting new people and getting to know them. A very personal tour!

2  Thank Elliot G
Garykiel123, Owner at Kiwi Coastal Tours, responded to this reviewResponded 30 June 2015

Kia ora and thank you for your wonderful review.
It is so nice to hear that you enjoyed the day and what my tour has to offer.
My maori culture and history is so important to me and to share it with people from all around the globe is nice.
I hope that you have returned home safe and sound and if you do decide to return I hope we can meet again.
Regards Gary

Reviewed 17 June 2015

I had the great luck to book a 5hours tour with Gary. He is an absolutely wonderful guide. He showed me the most wonderful places around Wellington, tought me a lot about Maori culture and was a great companion to spend an interesting and amazing day with. His Tour is off the beaten paths and if you want to get to know the Maori and Wellingtons surrounding, you will not find anyone better. Ihighly recommend him, and should I ever be around Wellington again, I will book another tour with him for sure.

Peter

Date of experience: June 2015
Garykiel123, Owner at Kiwi Coastal Tours, responded to this reviewResponded 22 June 2015

Kia ora Peter
What a great time around the south coast we shared together.
So glad that you enjoyed hearing about my maori culture and historical facets.
I learned a lot about you also so thank you for your company on a very enjoyable day.
Safe travels wherever you go.

Reviewed 15 June 2015

What a spectacular tour! You can be assured of views that 99% of the locals never see or have access to. It is well worth the time and money to experience the Wellington area with Gary and his truck. His genuine and kind personality and willingness to share his knowledge and heritage is greatly appreciated.

Date of experience: June 2015

Kia ora and thank you for your review of my tour.
I really enjoyed the time with you and being able to show off the amazing views that only the people that take my tour get to see off the beaten track scenes and talking about my maori culture and history has made my tour unique.
So glad that you enjoyed this aspect and hope that you have returned home safe and sound.
Nga mihi nui kia koe.

Reviewed 4 May 2015

My wife and I planned a tour and when we arrived by cruise ship my wife was ill and could not attend. Gary still offered to take me at the one person price. It turned out that we were the only persons booked that day. I had a wonderful time with him.

Date of experience: April 2015
Garykiel123, Owner at Kiwi Coastal Tours, responded to this reviewResponded 5 May 2015

Kia ora and thank you for your review of the day and the time we spent together in the hills and around the south coast of Wellington.
I try to give my visitors a real insight to the history and culture of New Zealand and the Maori people.
I hope your wife is better and that you have returned home safe and sound.

Reviewed 24 April 2015

3 of us from the UK joined Gary on his 4x4 Safari over the hills surrounding Wellington. Driving mostly off-road over some very rugged terrain we were privileged to see Wellington at its best. We were blessed with a beautifully sunny day and, that rarity in Wellington, a windless one too. The views were stunning and the whole experience was simply awesome, ending the off-road part by driving along the shingle and black sand beaches looking for seals. Lunch (included in the price) was excellent. Gary is good company and we enjoyed his insights into Maori culture. Very highly recommended!

Date of experience: April 2015
1  Thank Tony T
Garykiel123, Owner at Kiwi Coastal Tours, responded to this reviewResponded 29 April 2015

Kia ora and thank you for your wonderful review.
It is always a pleasure to meet people from all corners of the world and to show off some of the most beautiful coastline in New Zealand.
I enjoy talking about my maori culture and the history of New Zealand and Wellington.
I hope that you have returned safely to your home and loved ones.
Nga mihinui kia koutou.