“Great but lacking flare”
Review of Logan Brown

Logan Brown
Reserve a table
Ranked #9 of 923 Restaurants in Wellington
Price range: AU$65 - AU$88
Cuisines: Contemporary
Good for: Romantic, Local cuisine, Special Occasion Dining, Business meetings
Dining options: Dinner, After-hours, Lunch, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: The Taste of Our Place - Kia Ora, Kai, Kaitiaki. At Logan Brown, you'll experience a welcoming, inspiring and genuine taste of our place, our people and the produce that makes you proud to be a New Zealander. We opened in December Friday the 13th in 1996 and decades later it is way different but still the same! We have evolved with dining trends, service styles, taken opportunities with new product and techie innovations and of course will continue to do so. What has never changed is the sharing with our guests our true passion for our craft, our community and our country. We want everyone to be as proud as we are about New Zealand’s environment, the land and seas bounty, and the amazing people who harvest or produce from it. Working closely with these passionate producers inspires and excites the team who are proud to share their stories, and we always welcome new seasons and new to the market produce from suppliers and give it a go.
Reviewed 2 September 2012

It's no surprise Logan-Brown is still full of people even after 8pm on a weekday, the food here is "choice". Flavours are balanced, complex yet simple. Meat is cooked to perfection and the presentation is pleasing to the eyes.

What Logan-Brown does lack is flare and originality, take away from the decor and the judgement and you're left with a simple Italian restaurant.

Bottomline, there is nothing breathtaking about their foods but you can be sure it's done perfectly.

Date of visit: August 2012
logie22, Owner at Logan Brown, responded to this reviewResponded 12 September 2012

Jack,
thanks for you feed back.
The photos were great. You are dead right about flair. It is relevant but down on our priorites.
First we focus on sourcing excellent product or ingredients, seasoning and cooking perfection and accompaning the hero element with garnishes that enhance that element.
We are a lttle conservative when combining ingredients because we do not want to compromise the hero item for the sake of flair.
Even if we were interested in presenting our dishes with "molecular gastromony" type style, or other, we just do not have time. We would rather our guests get their food fresh, timely and with minimal handling. To us those photos you took all say EAT ME and if the dishes taste great thats what we all come to work for.
Steve Logan

Reviewed 29 August 2012

I went there again for a work event with clients. We had the private dining room upstairs. Service was fantastic (as usual) and the food was universally applauded by everyone there. It can get a bit noisy in that room, but also contributes to a lively atmosphere.
The Paua Ravioli for entree is a must!

Reviewed 28 August 2012

I organised a dinner for 6 people who are from out of town to have a xmas get together. Two of us are Chefs who have owned our own resturants and now all of us travel and eat out extensively. We were looking forward to eating there as one sees so much written about the place Looking at the menu bought dissapointment and although food cooked well there was very little of it and you need to eat the 3 courses. The dessert we all bought was the mini doughnuts only because it was the most appealing of the uninteresting choice. They arrived 3 tiny little balls on the plate with no presentation. I would have expected something more challenging to make but what a profit at there ridiculous prices for three small doughnuts.The service that night was below standard it was a great dissapointment.

Date of visit: December 2011

Hi Susie,

we are very sorry to read that you did not feel you got value for money when dining with us last December. The Blackberry donuts should have been served with maple cherry ripple ice cream
which our pastry chefs make in house. If it was left of your dessert order and you let us know at the time we would have welcomed the opportunity to rectify that or any other item you were not satisfied with. What we all come to work for is to see our guests leave satisfied and happy.
Steve Logan

Reviewed 23 August 2012

I suppose another glowing review for Logan Brown is nothing new - but hell, they deserve it so here goes! I had researched Logan Brown on the net a few years ago and sent a friend there for a Christmas meal (she said it was wonderful) - but I hadn't been there myself. This time, I was visiting my niece in NZ and wanted to take her and her partner somewhere special. My Mum (her Granny) had recently died and we needed a special celebration to toast to the old girl who we both loved so much!

I emailed ahead about my nut allergy. When we arrived for the Saturday night degustation, I found my own personalised printed menu - nut free! I could eat freely without having to seem like a whinger, asking about every ingredient endlessly.

Cocktails - superb! The Jaffa Martini is a must. Food - spectacular! Every course was delicious but the lamb rack with felafel and the smoked eel with horseradish panna cotta were my favourites. The lamb was so generous, almost a main meal size!

Our waiter, Anton, was great - knowledgeable but not snooty - friendly and funny but not invasive.

We had a great night - went home satisfied and happy. Will definitely be back at the earliest opportunity.

Date of visit: August 2012
Reviewed 23 August 2012

Not traditionally a fine dining person myself, I was fortunate enough to have lunch at Logan Brown. Excellent quality food, nice atmosphere. Personally, a little above my normal budget for a meal out, but that is not a negative reflection on the venue - more my budget! A visit in the near future may be on the cards for a few milestone celebrations!!