“Brunch with dog and hubby”
Review of Spoon and Paddle

Spoon and Paddle
Ranked #6 of 147 Restaurants in Taupo
Description: Lonely Planet says: Filling a spacious and airy 1950s house with colourful decor, Spoon & Paddle is more evidence you'll find great cafes pretty well anywhere in NZ. Excellent coffee partners with a concise beer and wine list, and the energetic and youthful owners focus on delivering dishes like tasty lamb shoulder tortillas, and just maybe the country's best eggs Benedict. A mini-fort in the garden will get the kids exploring, while Mum and Dad tuck into mid-afternoon treats like macaroons or lemon meringue pie
Reviewed 6 April 2018

I've been keen to try this place since it changed hands (it was a french place) a year or 2 back and I was even moreso when I found out it was dog friendly...great to be able to take doggy. It's a nice spot and close to town but away from the hustle and bustle and there is a large outdoor area with plenty of seats and also a children's playground (so they are dog and child friendly!). The service was super fast. I had eggs benedict with salmon which was ok (not the best I've ever had but not the worst either) and hubby had eggs and bacon which he said were great...he's pretty hard to please when it comes to brunch so this is high praise indeed. Furthermore...he (an egg perfectionist) said the eggs were perfectly done which I can also vouch for having eggs as part of my meal. I'd definitely go again but would possibly try something else other than the eggs bene....it was a good menu with plenty of options and also superb looking cabinet food.

Reviewed 5 April 2018

Great location being very near to our accommodation and with lovely views and although very busy the staff took time and care with us and our orders. Food was excellent, a breakfast feast of Kings! We hope to come back and sample other meals too.
Having read some of the reviews we might have skipped this visit, but having tried the food we're glad we called in and checked this lovely place out for ourselves.

2  Thank Allgoodthyngs
Reviewed 3 April 2018

Location wise was convenient as it was down the road from our accommodation. Cute little cafe space love the set up. Food was divine however the customer service could be better hence why I didn't give it an excellent rating. Service at the counter was great however the waiter ignored us didn't bother to check on us but only on the couple sitting nearby and found them a bit rude. Seems small and petty but sometimes it's the little things. Otherwise I would visit again purely because the food was delicious.

Reviewed 31 March 2018 via mobile

Delicious breakfast, and friendly competent service. A very busy wee place, as expected, because the service and food this morning was great. I especially enjoyed the Poached eggs Shakshukha - an interesting twist on a classic.
It’s in a converted house so the dining rooms are fairly small, but there is larger garden area outside, suitable to families, groups, dogs ....or just turn up early to get a good seat.

1  Thank Louise F
Reviewed 29 March 2018 via mobile

Great location on the edge of town. Would potentially have a great view of the lake but we were there on a cloudy day.
Nice, simply and tasty food. Very friendly staff; very understanding of dietary requirements and children :)