“No paradise here”

Paradise Sushi
Ranked #78 of 148 Restaurants in Taupo
Cuisines: Sushi, Japanese
Reviewed 6 April 2018

Ordered the Bento Boxes and dined in. Miso was charged as extra, not part of the box - first time I have experienced that. Food was edible but not great. We had dry horrors afterwards so am guessing they used MSG. My tempura chicken was just katsu chicken and my friends teriyaki salmon's sauce was lumpy and didn't taste good. Would not go back or recommend eating there.

Reviewed 21 March 2018 via mobile

Came here with family cause we were craving some Japanese while visiting Taupo but the owner is Korean?! Not saying they can’t cook but for me Asian I can definitely tell you this is not proper Japanese food.

I ordered tofu donburi and for me it’s just below average and I would like my money back.

Plates were not clean and the soy sauce bottle was dirty.

Sister saw a wire from iron brush on one of the dumplings, told the owner and he just took the dumplings back to the kitchen and got rid of the wire and served the same dumplings again, I think that’s inappropriate.
She ordered chicken katsu don, the chicken was definitely not fresh, it was cold and tasted like they fired it the morning and re-fried it again before served it to customer so it tasted SUPER DRY, drier than the cloth brand, I think they should hire this restaurant helping them advertising cause it’s so dry you can’t tell it was chicken, more like cupboard. Told the owner and he said it was fresh and didn’t seem willing to prepare another one for her.

We both ate inari and were shocked, it was fried rice in inari instead of vinegar rice?! That is so wrong, I’m not saying they use left over fried rice as the filling but it’s possible.

I feel sorry for those ones who left the excellent reviews apparently they haven’t been to the normal one.

1  Thank Ashtsui
Reviewed 4 March 2018

Unfortunately, we chose this nondescript Restaurant for lunch on our way back to Auckland. The owner/manager was rude and distracted. The food was so-so thought he prices were a but inflated . Skip this place if you have the chance.

3  Thank JYao55
Reviewed 24 February 2018 via mobile

We enjoyed our meal.
The food was yummy and reasonably priced.
This is a quaint restaurant but good food.

Reviewed 17 February 2018

We ran into this little canteen whilst walking past the main street. This is located on a side street behind Lone Star.

Had the Katsu Don (pork) and it was decent with Miso Soup.

The restaurant itself was very very warm as it was a hot day and no fan's were installed to cool the place down as it was very hot and stuffy so we sat outside at the tables there instead.

Prices were as expected by NZ standards, which aren't cheap.