“Didnt jump myself but watched others”
Review of Taupo Bungy

Taupo Bungy
Ranked #7 of 56 Outdoor Activities in Taupo
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: <1 hour
Owner description: The North Island's most popular bungy jump is a real blast. For an exhilarating experience why not try a water touch? We specialise in getting people wet, whether you'd rather a hand splash or full body dunk, we endeavour to deliver a refreshing adventure.
Useful Information: Activities for older children
Reviewed 17 February 2012

The views of the Waikato river are superb and I watched in awe as 2 youngsters jumped. If only I was 40 years younger.
What surprised me was the price, of how expensive it was, they would get more customers if it was cheaper, so the guy who was meant to be taking the photos wouldnt be half a sleep in the gazebo all the time I was there..
The tandem bungay is $298 with extras such as video, photo etc. cheaper jumps but to my mind still very expensive. The equipment has been set up for years so the only overheads would be wages..
Why pay someone to sit on their backside when if the price was more affordable they would work for their money.

georgetaupobungy, Director of Sales at Taupo Bungy, responded to this reviewResponded 20 February 2012

Hi Nurse51Brigg,
Thank you for posting your review for Taupo Bungy & Taupo Cliffhanger. I am glad to hear you enjoyed watching some bungy jumpers take the plunge at our beautiful site.
Regarding our price of $149pp, this is in fact the second cheapest bungy jump in New Zealand, and we think the best value - based on the stunningly scenic location and being the highest water-touch bungy in NZ.. Although it may seem a high price for a bit of fun, most of our customers view bungy jumping as a once in a lifetime experience, they will never forget.
I am not sure who the 'guy in the gazebo' was, but I can assure you he wasn't supposed to be taking photos. Our photos are taken by the bungy and swing crew as the customer is participating, so we get the best action shots we can. These are then processed in the back office, so ready once the jumper/swinger returns from their activity. We will be talking to all of our staff about this potential lounging around, but I can assure you that this is not accepted practice.
It is true that Taupo Bungy has been in operation for 20 years, but unfortunately wages are not our only company cost (it would be fantastic if they were!). Being the safety-conscious business we are, we ensure all of our equipment is top knotch, and when combined, this is one of our largest expenses. Others included lease of land; marketing; maintenance; IT and development; along with general running of a business costs.
Thank you so much for your feedback and I hope this addresses all of your concerns. Hopefully you will visit us again one day, and take the plunge yourself.
Cheers, Sonya Warne

There are newer reviews for Taupo Bungy

Reviewed 12 February 2012

The price of this attraction was a bit more expensive than some of the New Zealand bungys - but they do have location and view on their side.

The location is picturesque. I did a single bungy, and I felt very safe with the harness and leg straps, and multiple connection points. The team were pretty friendly and the video was easy to show to people back home since it was on a USB stick and not just a DVD.

Reviewed 27 January 2012

We have been to Taupo Bungy last month and I must admit that I was a bit shaky right before the leap. But the views, the water touch and the free fall - totally loved it and must admit I wanna do it all over again and probably even from greater heights! 1 item crossed off bucket list!
Here is the link to my full review on the blog and you can also find the bungy jump photo gallery and videos!

Reviewed 12 January 2012

They are the Best jump on the North island. the River view was is beautiful. the staff are very professional, safe and are happy to answer all your questions. Apparently they retire the bungy cord after so many jumps. Not on whether it looks worn. They have a goodclip checking routine and 2 people doing it, separately. ( @ people checking at a different time, Not at the same time. My daughter did it. She was slightly dizzy for a short while and a little the next day. Do it. It is all over so quickly. the worst part is wating to be buckled up.

Hi mmac54,

Thank you so much for your excellent review. I am glad your daughter enjoyed her bungy jump with us.

Just to put any concerns about the bungy cord at bay, it is true we retire each cord after it has done 500 jumps. However, the cords are checked continuously every day - from each morning they are put our ready for use; and following every jump, as the jump operator pulls the cord up by hand. If at anytime our crew thinks the bungy cord should be retired early, it will be.

Bungy cords can often look worn or frayed, to the untrained eye! Along the length of the cord, there are areas that may look frayed, but are actually lengths of rubber used to bind the entirety of the cord, which have been tied off. As Taupo Bungy jump masters, make all of our cords on site, they are well trained in knowing what a good one looks like.

I hope this explains a few of the misconceptions about bungy cords.
Cheers,
Sonya

Reviewed 6 January 2012

My 13 year old son went on it. Good and professional crew. He had a good time although $150 for a pop, not counting the pricey pictures and videos is not for an everyday affair.