“Some outstanding grub”

SMK Southern Meat Kitchen
Ranked #41 of 147 Restaurants in Taupo
Price range: USD 15 - USD 25
Reviewed 6 April 2018 via mobile

If I were you, I'd stop looking at all these reviews, and grab your fellow hungry person, and go to this place.
I guarantee you will leave with a massive food baby.
Try the brisket, it will give you a friendly smile, or your money back....

Reviewed 31 March 2018 via mobile

Dined here over Easter. Well worth the walk back from the noise and crowds by the lake. We tried the tasting paddles; good value. My partner had the salmon which was on the dry side but very tasty and well presented. I had the beef short rib and it was a generous portion with a good slaw and potatos on the side. We shared a smoked cambert and it was devine! Good service, good food and good beer. What more can you ask for?

Reviewed 26 March 2018 via mobile

I heard about this place through NZ Pitmasters and as we were in Taupo for the weekend we decided to call in for dinner and we were not disappointed!

The food here is awesome!! We had the platter, salmon, pulled pork dish, kids meals a side of Mac and cheese and peach cobbler. All meals were huge and everyone was very impressed and satisfied.

Backing up the great food was the top customer service! Thanks for an awesome night guys! Highly recommended and wish we had a venue like this in Welli.

Thank you also for the advice on how to cook the perfect brisket as well as gifting me some of your signature rub! Greatly appreciate it

Reviewed 9 March 2018 via mobile

Really enjoyed the meal.
Made the smart choice and got the slow cooked brisket while the wife got the pulled pork bun; then we shared.
Very friendly staff and great atmosphere.
Will recommend and revisit.

A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 2 March 2018 via mobile

My partner and I wondered in for dinner while on holiday from Melbourne, and the atmosphere and friendly staff was a lovely warm welcome. We were sat promptly after reading through the menu we were spoilt for choice, we settled on the pulled pork burger and the rib eye with a side and Mac and cheese.
The rib eye was cooked perfectly M with a good char on top, the pulled pork burger was simply amazing!! I think I could eat it every day. The Side of Mac and cheese was the perfect size for the both of us to share and I will happily bribe the chef for the recipe it was the best Mac and cheese I think I have ever eaten! Had a great selection of local craft beer and cider on tap, reasonably priced meals and drinks, staff were attentive but not overbearing. Would recommend this restaurant to anyone looking for a good bite to eat in Taupō. Please bring your restaurant to Melbourne for us to enjoy!!