“Authentic cuisine”

Ranked #40 of 193 Restaurants in New Plymouth
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Reviewed 1 July 2016

Surprisingly popular on a Wednesday night and the authentic fare explains why. Gnocchi was tasty and clearly freshly made. The Tiramisu also worthwhile but contrary to what the menu suggests Nona has definitely got this one covered.

Service was attentive for a busy night and friendly enough. Pricing seemed a little steep for the location but as a tourist it's unclear if that is typical of the region.

Date of visit: January 2016

Reviewed 28 June 2016

Have recently discovered this restaurant and now it is one of my go to restaurants. Great food, at an excellent price, good service, nice ambience. Good for families and couples.

Reviewed 23 June 2016

We went as part of a group of 10, while there is a really good selection on the menu the meals took a long time to come out, to there credit all the groups meals came out at the same time. My meal was so rich in cream I could finish it (which is very rare) I noticed a few of the women could even finish 1/2 of theirs. The portion sizes are quite large. To be fair you got a doggy bag to take away. There is also terrible acoustics in the restaurant which when it is full can be quite loud. Staff were friendly and knowledgeable so if you like Italian food (reasonably priced I might add) I suggest you give it a go.

Reviewed 9 June 2016

After a long break I returned to Portofino and was not disappointed. The hardest part of the night was selecting a dish as there were so many good choices from traditional Italian to pizza's. The veal I chose did not dissapoint. The food service and atmosphere mean we will be back soon. My wife loved her meal so much she wanted to return the next night. The price point is great and I highly recommend a meal here.

Reviewed 27 May 2016

Went here for dinner on a Saturday night recently with a group of 6. We waited for well over an hour for our meals & they didn't appear to be overly busy. Once the food arrived it was good. Heaps of garlic & the risotto I had was tasty. Others at our table had ordered pasta & steaks. The menu is extensive with a wide range of dishes. The atmosphere is nice with subdued lighting & good background music. Staff are friendly & pleasant.

Date of visit: May 2016