“Buyer beware!”

and up
Shore Excursion: Bay of Islands Maori War Canoe Tour
Ranked #24 of 46 Tours in Paihia
More attraction details
Owner description: Experience the real magic and spirituality of local Maori while paddling with us on one of our 50ft War Canoes (Waka). Our visitor experience provides an exclusive look into our ancient Ngapuhi tribal customs, rituals and traditions. Through storytelling we share the ancient knowledge and histories of our living cultural landscapes during a 2hr voyage of the Waitangi River and tidal estuaries. In 2011 National geographic Traveller recognised our visitor experience as being in the worlds top 50 tours of a lifetime. Our Qualmark endorsed activity is a perfect combination of eco Tourism and interactive Maori culture. Our hot deal package until October 2018 includes a free 2 day pass to the Waitangi Treaty grounds and all its daytime activities along with a free Gift Pack of Natural Maori medicinal soap & balm worth $55.00 We are the Ngapuhi tribe of the North, New Zealands largest Maori tribe and we invite you to join us on a once in a lifetime voyage
Reviewed 23 February 2012

Unfortunately for us our cruise ship cancelled the port visit due to poor and worsening weather. As soon as I knew I phone Hone at Taimai Tours and explained the situation. He said no problems. he would arrange refunds.
That hasn't happened - and I have emailed since arriving back home and have not even had the decency of a reply.
All I can say is read the fine print! and don't book with these people unless you know for sure you can take the tour.
This spoilt my opinion of NZ'ers being a very obliging lot as I had no trouble with any other tour operator.
Pity.....

1  Thank GCtogo

Reviewed 21 February 2012

I recently did the Taiamai tour in the Bay of Islands along with my blind adult son. It was the highlight of our trip to New Zealand. The background information that they gave us enhanced the continuation of our trip through NZ. Knowing the background of the Maoris helped us to understand how important it is for them and everyone not to forget their heritage. The trip was a lot of fun and we passed beautiful scenery. The safety that they showed us especially my son was exceptional. Don't miss it. I will always remember that day.

3  Thank playpen009
Reviewed 20 February 2012

This was a really good adventure. I learned a lot about the Maorie s culture thanks to Hone and all the stories he said throughout the voyage. They taught us how to paddle in a Waka and some words in Maorie as well. I think that is the best way to discover the Maorie s culture, with people who are very friendly and who like to speak about their culture. I recommend this adventure to everyone who wants to learn more about the maories ans their culture.

William, 22 from France

2  Thank William A
Reviewed 5 February 2012

I had a fantastic time learning how to 'paddle' a Waka, hearing about the history and legends of Maori tribes and experiencing the type of greeting early European settlers would have received. An experience that will stay with me for a long time.

1  Thank Sarah J
Reviewed 5 February 2012

Try a canoe trip with excellent Maori guides who are lovely (as are all the people we met in New Zealand recently), the're informative tour around the beautiful Bay of Islands is great. You row with a group of around 12 people whilst hearing about Maori roots and culture. Great.

1  Thank elizabethmcLeeds