All reviews horse trekking water rafting obstacle course outstanding hospitality julie accommodation
Reviewed 6 January 2017 via mobile

Not too sure why so many negative reviews as we thoroughly enjoyed our stay at the Mountain River Lodge. Arrived late at night and owner was friendly and booked us a nice cabin.

Best asset is the location in a beautiful valley by a river surrounded by forrest.

Great 'bar' to have a couple of beers.

Only negative I can think of are the outdated kitchen facilities. Other than that, great place to stay the night when travelling from Taupo to Napier.

Date of stay: January 2017
Trip type: Travelled with family
1  Thank SvenMl
Reviewed 5 January 2017

I was not impressed the first time I came here but gave it another chance when we popped in to visit family who were staying...big mistake!!

Mountain Valley is a beautiful setting ruined by badly maintained buildings and dirty facilities. Our cabin was so filthy and full of dust, it brought on my son's asthma.

The biggest problem was the host, such a grumpy, rude man. I can not believe he works in hospitality.
On our first visit, he was completely indifferent to the fact that there was no working lights in the ladies bathroom, offered no apology and no torch, just a grumpy reply.

On my second visit he greeted us by accusing us of trying to sneak in to use the showers without paying!! How wrong could he be? I would not use those urine smelling, fly infested facilities if you paid me!!

New Zealand is full of nice campsites, there really is no reason to visit this one.

Room tip: Do not go here.
Date of stay: December 2016
  • Trip type: Travelled with family
MountainV, Owner at Mountain Valley Adventure Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 26 July 2017

We dont normally respond to nasty messages however we will make an exception with your comments Jen. Despite the private signs and notice to report to reception we constantly get people coming in and treating our place like public property - I'm sure you wouldnt want strangers coming on to your property, hanging out for the day and using your facilities so if we come across a bit grumpy then perhaps you were one of the many who think your actions are ok.

Your claim that our facilities are filthy is an out and out lie - EVERYTHING IS CLEANED REGULARLY.

Oh and by the way, we certainly wouldn't pay people like you to come here and are pleased that you dont want to come back. We prefer guests who appreciate what we offer which is affordable opportunities for all and stunning scenery and not 5 star luxury that you clearly think you should have.

Reviewed 4 January 2017

We stayed at Mountain Valley for 5 nights over the new year period, 2 adults and 3 children. We booked a powered site and upon arrival we were able to pick which one we wanted (I think it would be better if the sites were marked though as as more people turned up it became more confusing for some to find a site). We had a wonderful 6 days - so much to do for the kids. We enjoyed fishing (many great spots), walking (some wonderful walks around the property) and swimming. The kids loved biking around the campsite, making lots of new friends and playing on the playground. The shower and toilet blocks were great. We enjoyed hot showers each day and they were cleaned daily. It would be great to see them given a more through clean though. We didn't realise until halfway through our stay that there was a 'Welcome to Mountain Valley' message board outside the restaurant with general info about the place and I think this should be placed in a location so that it can be seen by everyone. We loved that we could bring our dog and she had just as much fun as we did. Overall we had a wonderful time and will definitely be camping here again.

Date of stay: December 2016
Trip type: Travelled with family
1  Thank AmyB6018
Reviewed 23 May 2016 via mobile

From the beginning it was a very laid back conversation with Doug over email and the phone regarding getting us booked for a Saturday and Sunday night. I much prefer someone to talk to me like I'm a person and not just another client or guest, which both he and his wife Julie did. We arrived Saturday evening, booked into a cottage instead of a chalet (we wanted an indoor bathroom since it was cold) and came down for dinner at the restaurant. We sat in the bar and chatted with Doug for a bit until Julie came down and joined us. The conversation was relaxed with some jokes and just plain old good talk. These were real people with life experience and they had built this business over the last several years together. Dinner was decent, I had a toasted bacon and cheese sandwich and my wife a venison burger that she was pleased with. We also enjoyed several drinks at the bar with the two of them during.

You have to remember, this is a farm... Not a five star hotel. With that said, the cottage could have been just a tad cleaner. The counters in the kitchen and bathroom were a bit dirty, although I'm sure part of that was due to the Windows being left open. If it were me, I would also add some nicer pillows. We ended up stealing the ones from the other room and doubling up. There were a couple maintenance items I would fix like the broken boards on the bench on the porch and the rickety lock on the door leading outside. There was also a rotten board on the walkway leading to the restaurant when you're going Down the hill, which is no big deal but if the wrong person were to trip on it or if it were to break more it could lead to and injury- which I would love to avoid if it were me.

We loved the three dogs, Bo daisy and Jack. We are dog moms, and are definitely missing our own pups at home, so having those three wiggly butts vying for our attention was a welcome sight.

On Sunday we did a two hour horse trek followed by some fishing. The trek was awesome, our guide was amazing- very personable, patient and a good teacher. We had a squirrelly one in our group who wasn't too confident on a horse, but our guide made sure the rest of us with some experience still enjoyed ourselves.

After the trek we Rented two spinning rods and walked Down to the river below our cottage where each of us caught a trout d had a few other hits. My wife and I love to fish, it's very relaxing for us. After we went back to the cottage where we showered and relaxed for a bit. Dinner was served again and we sat at the bar with the two once again. This time it was bacon mushroom fettuccine, and it was awesome! Well done Julie :). She even made desert- an apple crumble with cream mmmmmm (sound of licking your finger tips).

Overall, a great experience. Meals were great, service was great, and the property was beautiful and well cared for. Only docked one star for the small maintenance issues, but I wish it was half a star so it would 4.5 instead of 4.

We will definitely go back and hopefully bring family along if they come out to visit!

Date of stay: May 2016
Trip type: Travelled as a couple
1  Thank Danika K
Reviewed 21 March 2016

I went out on a 3 hr trek with Melissa (guide) who rode Rocky & I rode the lovely Bruce. What a fantastic horse to ride. Managed to get in some jumps in the wooded area which I really enjoyed & also at the end of the ride we galloped up one of the hill slopes. The funniest part of the ride was going through one of the farm land fields when a herd of cows & their calfs followed down the hill to the river - you never know just what you will see or happen. Thanks Melissa for a great ride, enjoyed the whole experience of the jumps in the woods which we managed to get over them all. Lynn (Yorkshire, England)

Date of stay: March 2016