“WOW”
Review of Surf City Lodge

Surf City Lodge
Reviewed 18 April 2012

Well it was just what I needed, lovely welcome, great place, amazing food. If I come back to NZ I would go straight to Barry's place. The slogan should be "Barry's best" or "Barry does it again" !, I wouldn't hesitate one minute to suggest to others to stay there. Thank you again for a great stay Barry and Ros.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled solo

Reviewed 25 March 2012

My wife and I stayed here for 2 nights during the RWC in late September 2011.

We had just finished walking the Lake Waikaremoana trail, and I can't think of a better place we could have rested up. Barry and Ros, knowing we were coming from the trail, had hot food and drinks waiting for us. They instantly made us feel right at home, and were able to give us plenty of tips on stuff to do for our short stay in Gisborne.

A big highlight... Barry's cooking was amazing. We spend 2 months driving around NZ, and the meals we had here honestly beat any restaurant or hotel that we stayed at.

Also got the chance to watch the All Blacks beat the pants off of France with Barry on there giant TV!

If we're ever back in NZ, this is the first place we're going.

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank CanuckRugbyNomad
Reviewed 14 March 2012

My recent fiance and I spent two relaxing nights at the Surf City Lodge. Even though we arrived on short notice with no advance reservation, Barry and Ros were the most gracious hosts. We enjoyed delicious, filling breakfasts, personal guided tours of the best surf spots, and a bountiful seafood dinner prepared by Barry. The owners are some of the most fascinating people we've ever met and we hope to call on them as lifelong NZ friends. Thank you for such a memorable stay.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Megan C
Reviewed 27 October 2011

I spent 3 nights at Surf City Lodge this month. I chose to stay there based on Trip Advisor reviews and I was not disappointed!
Barry and Ros (and Iti the cat) are incredibly welcoming and friendly hosts, who did everything they possibly could to make my time in Gisborne memorable. Barry showed me around the area and lent me a bicycle so I could spend an afternoon out at the wineries.
The house is beautiful - its a 1920s house, furnished perfectly and with a very homely and welcoming feel. My room was the best one I had in seven weeks travelling in New Zealand, and I slept the best I had in months in a big, comfy bed.
Barry's cooking is just fabulous. I'm still craving smoked salmon omelettes for breakfast, and the huge seafood mornay I had for dinner one night!
Both the room and food were excellent value in terms of price, though the superb quality of both makes it outstanding value.
The Lodge is very well located too - only a short walk to Gisborne city centre and beaches in a nice residential area, though to be honest I spent most of my time just having a lovely relaxing time in the Lodge chatting to Barry, Ros and the other guests over a nice glass of wine.
When I'm next in New Zealand I will most definitely be making a trip over to Gisborne just so that I can stay at Surf City Lodge again. Hopefully that won't be too far in the future!

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled solo
1  Thank mcalistv
Reviewed 25 October 2011

Barry and Ros were fabulous hosts. Amazing home, amazing food, amazing location. With a quick walk into town to see the sights and shops, returning to their B&B was like returning to a small slice of paradise in the heart of Gisborne. Barry your food both breakfast and dinner was more than we expected! I would definitely stay there again and wouldn't hesitate recommending this B&B to anyone.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled with friends