“Excellent food - but ----”
Review of Der Metz

Der Metz
Ranked #644 of 2,451 Restaurants in Auckland Central
Cuisines: German
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Reviewed 4 September 2017

Firstly, we found the food to be mostly very good. The pork belly dish was huge & succulent, although the dumplings were more like potato cakes. The sauerkraut and the Goulasch with Spaetzle were very authentic. There is a good selection of wine and (German) beer. No craft beers. On the down side however, even after waiting about 30 minutes, the Goulasch was still too hot to eat. Our experience was soured slightly by a group of vocal children who wandered about leaving the door open. We ended up taking our meal away to finish at home.

Reviewed 13 August 2017

Ordered the Pork belly today with my partner who had the Spaetzle/Gulasch dish. Pork belly was bland,tough and consisted of two small pieces, some red cabbage and three pieces of potato which looked like fried hash browns(when the menu said dumplings?) Mentioned that the meal wasnt good to the waitress who asked how our meals were and the response was a shrug of the shoulders.No response from the kitchen either after the waitress said she would discuss with the chef. For $28 each the meals and service were just terrible, wont be recommending to family or friends and definately wont be going back.

1  Thank elimccowatt
Reviewed 31 July 2017

The waitress was German and had a genuine charm.So much so, that I did not feel I could tell her, or a second person who enquired, just how bad our meal was. It was the single worst dining experience i have had anywhere in the world.The service was slow, the presentation was poor and the food lacked flair. It was not presented well and the people I was with opted to leave before dessert. I will never go there again.The dumping of food on platters was so clumsy that one guest had difficulty keeping her food on the plate.The plate was too small.The water bowl was a nice touch but some form of dressing for the salad would have been helpful.The food was ugly.I seriously expected someone to come out and tell me it was all a reality TV hoax. We would have been better off at a fast food chain.The decor falls short of charm.

1  Thank Annielhill
Reviewed 18 July 2017

I think I can say that our experience was a little mixed.
We booked, but when we arrived, they were not aware of our booking - plus, there are two doors into the establishment which is in two, separate sections. We entered the wrong section and waited some few minutes for someone to attend to us. Eventually, we decided to go into the other section where their reception area was.
Once we had sorted out the non-booking, we were escorted back to the section we had gone to originally.
I felt that the person who had answered the phone originally, should have told us which was the proper entrance to use.
Once we were seated, things became somewhat better. Very pleasant serving staff who did their best for us.
We ordered the Pork Medallions and the Deutsche Platte. While I was quite satisfied with my choice, my wife thought the pork medallions only average. She was a little surprised by the degree of acidity in her portion of sauerkraut which she felt was greater than that of the sauerkraut we had enjoyed in Germany the previous year.
I think that the initial experience affected the whole evening for us which was unfortunate as our reason for going there was to sus it out as a place to take friends who had lived in Germany for three years.

Reviewed 1 July 2017

Came with a fairly large group so we booked beforehand.
We were welcomed once we entered and shown to our tables. The waitress was quite helpful when we were ordering drinks. They have 1L vessels of beer, some of which you con't get anywhere else.
Once everyone showed up we ordered without much waiting or fuss. Most of us ordered schnitzel, but only a few dared to get two pieces. The schnitzel comes in beef, chicken or pork and they also have other items like the pork hock.
Food came around the same time and it was delicious. The schnitzel is quite big and crispy and tasty.
Fantastic food, drinks and service.