“Amazing restaurant”

Ranked #104 of 2,392 Restaurants in Auckland Central
Price range: USD 27 - USD 31
Cuisines: Contemporary, International, New Zealand, Fusion
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: Welcome to Mikano, Auckland's most exciting dining experience.Mikano Restaurant sits directly above the heliport at Mechanics Bay overlooking the sparkling Auckland Harbour. You'll love the stunning selection of fresh seafood, fine meats and local produce, perfectly complimented by a fine wine list.With plenty of parking and close proximity to the city and motorways, Mikano is the perfect place for friends to meet.For an intimate evening, a relaxing lunch, or your next fantastic function, make sure you visit Mikano.
Reviewed 10 March 2017 via mobile

Fabulous food, amazing view and great staff. Our very favourite restaurant when we stay in Auckland. Always first class standard.

Reviewed 10 March 2017

We had the best experience here from the time we arrived. We came in with a grab one voucher which can sometimes men sub standard food and service but not here. From the moment we arrived we were looked after. The maitre de greeted us at the door and accomodated our seating request with pleaseure. The waiter we had was lovely and explained each of our 7 courses knowledgeably. The food was delicious even my hard to please partner rated it 10/10. The matre de came around again to check we were happy with everything which is not a common occurrence with restaurant dining. Top all this off with the fantastic location and spotless premises and all in all you have an unbeatable dining experience....
Thanks Mikano!

Reviewed 5 March 2017

The food was great! The service was also great!! Also great view!!
Our meal consisted of garlic prawns , snapper , roast lamb, passionfruit & berry desserts which was al incredibly tasty and presented to a great standard.
The only thing that cud do with a little improvement is the general cleaning of the restaurant as the stainless windows were very dusty etc HOWEVER this didn't put us off it was a great experience and we very much recommend this!

Reviewed 2 March 2017

My wife and I had a special coupon to enjoy a 7 course gestation menu.
I admit I was a tad cynical! However, in all ways it exceeded our expectations.
We arrived and were shown to a window seat. If you go there see if you can get a window seat - the view is awesome. Across the helicopter landing strip and right across the harbour. Just as I was thinking, "should have asked for a window seat" that is where they placed us.
All the wait staff we experienced were polite, friendly, and well trained, taking the trouble explain each course.
We didn't opt for an accompanying wine experience, I had to drive home afterwards!
But the Pinot Gris we each had was just right.
The set menu was excellent, and each course was well presented, and, more to the point, delicious. There was a variety of different dishes. Briefly: Salmon gravlax, Prawns, Goat cheese croquette, Shellfish bisque with fish, crispy pork belly, Eye fillet steak, and a mango cheesecake to finish.Timing was spot on - not too long to wait, but enough time between courses.
Wonderful! Would not hesitate to go again.

Reviewed 21 February 2017

I have dined at this restaurant many times in the past and found the food to be exceptional, the service to be spot on, the ambience outstanding and overall been the reason why I keep returning for more. This is a restaurant that I always use for special occasions.

My son was returning from Perth for a long awaited visit for his sister's wedding. We had not seen him in 2 years so really wanted this to be an outstanding night for him. It was also a special occasion for him as it was his 21st birthday celebration dinner. For the occasion I decided to opt for the 7 course degustation menu for 6 people. Unfortunately one of our guests was sick so I spoke to the maitre d at the beginning of service to advise that one person wasn't able to make it and she gave me the impression that she would cover us for the last person not being present and I assumed that she would take this off the alcohol bill at the end.

The first course of gravlax salmon came out and it was very minute served on a very large white plate. Although each dish was lovely in taste, it was literally 3 mouth fulls, so portion size was way too small. The wait time between each course was way longer than we expected which took no less than 30 mins to 45 mins. We had got through 4 of the 7 courses by the time 2 hours had passed. It seemed like other guests around us that arrived after us were getting through their menus faster than us.

We decided to alert the waiter who didn't seem that accommodating or apologetic. We felt that the last 3 courses were basically thrown out on the plate and served with no love or care regarding presentation. Towards the end I decided to check if they would be taking anything off the bill due to our one guest not being able to make it. They were very reluctant to accommodate us at first. They suggested that they cook the whole menu and put it in containers for us to take home which would firstly take even longer and by this stage we had waited long enough already. We declined that offer.

Both myself and my daughter have worked in hospitality for a long time so were not impressed by being offered the 6th person's meal at the end of the dining experience. They eventually and reluctantly gave us a $50 discount on our meals but overall I was very disappointed in what could have been a really nice night but it was very mediocre.

I probably won't be dining at this restaurant ever again.

1  Thank TaniaSteel
Sai K, Manager at Mikano, responded to this reviewResponded 27 February 2017

Sorry to hear that you were not satisfied with 1 of 7 courses. The concept of degustation is to taste all dishes and portions sizes are intended to give that very holistic deg experience.

We will take your feedback on board and will be passed on to the Chef designing our next degustation.