“Perfect for pre-theatre dining”

Kura Japanese Sake Bar
Ranked #165 of 2,360 Restaurants in Auckland Central
Cuisines: Japanese
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Description: Kura is modern fusion Japanese. We do all the favourites like sushi, tempura and teriyaki but sometimes with a little twist.
Reviewed 13 June 2017

Kura is perfectly situated if you are going to something at the Town Hall, Q Theatre, or Aotea Centre. Huge plus factor is that when you book on line and tell them what time you need to leave, they record it and stick to it absolutely. Our group shared the fresh Spring Rolls (6) to start with, then ordered individual dishes plus a small bowl of rice for each. My Soft-Shell Crab was beautifully cooked and a generous serving. My husband chose the Tempura Prawns which were equally delicious, so needless to say we shared both. The service was pleasant and efficient and the wine list had plenty on it that we liked. We will make this our pre-theatre dining place of choice.

Yawara, Owner at Kura Japanese Sake Bar, responded to this reviewResponded 14 June 2017

If possible please sit at the counter so u can watch the action

Reviewed 28 May 2017

Being underwhelmed after visiting the Casino (we are from a small town) we were heading back to our Hotel, it was late and we had eaten, but I was feeling like a special Tia Maria Coffee.....We searched bars, but no none to be found.......BUT much to our delight we came across this wee Sake Bar, neither of us have tried sake before so this was going to be our first time, definitely not our last. What a quaint wee place, full of Cool......I loved the feeling of the place.....the staff were very welcoming as Japanese are and helpful in choosing the Sake....we chose warmed Two Brave Samurai.....well well well, how lovely it was. Watched the chef prepare some food....amazing. We cannot wait until we visit Auckland again so we can try the food here.

Yawara, Owner at Kura Japanese Sake Bar, responded to this reviewResponded 30 May 2017

Thank you , please try cold sake next time .
Maybe Kikumasamune barrel sake or river crane Genshu (19%)
My favourites

Reviewed 21 May 2017 via mobile

Good service, except the server didn't know that my meal was on the special menu and it came with rice and miso soup. After several requests from myself and my husband's, I finally got my rice but not the miso soup. I got sick and tired if asking so I forego the soup.
The rice was over watered and over cooked so it's very average, sych a crime to rice as its a staple in Japanese food. How can you get something so basic so wrong? You had rice cooker too, it's not that hard even I can do it better. The deep fried soft shell crab was too crispy we thought but it was edible.
The beef tongue steak was good but I didn't get given knife and fork to eat it with so it was a struggle to eat it with a pair of chopsticks.
Do I recommend going there? Well probably not unless if you're desperate. Would I go back? No, not really to be honest.

Yawara, Owner at Kura Japanese Sake Bar, responded to this reviewResponded 23 May 2017

knife and fork
Yes sorry about that .
I once went to Macdonalds and asked for chopsticks and they looked at me as if I was stupid and said if u want chopsticks go to a Asian restaurant .
Considering 40% of the inner city is now Asian chopstick skills are almost compulsory .
Come to think of it I've seen 3/4 yr old use chopsticks .

Reviewed 7 May 2017 via mobile

Great little restaurant with fabulous ambiance. Very friendly staff, young and dynamic people. The basement settings j'y is really authentic and convivial. Would definitely go back.

1  Thank Pdittay
Yawara, Owner at Kura Japanese Sake Bar, responded to this reviewResponded 9 May 2017

thank you as we are also very busy with comedy festival , and then its the the film festival

Reviewed 30 March 2017

A few doors up from the Town Hall you'll find a discreet door. Slide this open and descend the steep stairs and you'll find yourself in Kura Sake Bar. Don’t be confused that you’re in Tanuki’s Cave, Kura’s sister next door.

I was fascinated that this used to be a grain storage shed back in the day. The enormous exposed stone wall that holds up Queen Street is contrasted by the warm timber furniture and fire that roars in the Winter. I booked for our group of 6 so we got a cool table, remove your shoes and shimmy round.

Pork belly is always my go to and a perfect accompaniment to the Broccoli and with a bowl of rice was a full meal. Lifting the lid on the clay pot, you'll be rewarded with a waft of steam, laced with the heady aromas of ginger, sesame and mirin given off by the broth. You really have to love fat to enjoy this dish.

Teriyaki salmon and Tofu salad are some of the dishes my friends enjoyed as you can see pictured. And the Soft shell crab my other 2 friends had was great (I had to steal a piece).

The service could have been a little faster, shame we had to flag someone down, but as soon as they came and took our orders the food came out quick smart and there was no more waiting.

Kura is a great place to meet friends before or after a show at the Town Hall or Civic or other surrounding entertainment venues.