“Go if you're not Indian ”
Review of Cassia

Cassia
Ranked #7 of 2,455 Restaurants in Auckland Central
Cuisines: Indian
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Description: Cassia is a modern Indian restaurant by award winning Chef Sid Sahrawat of Sidart.
Reviewed 25 July 2017 via mobile

I'm giving this place a 4 star cause of the really out of this world service but this review is more constructive than positive.

Sidart is my favourite restaurant in Auckland so was looking forward to trying this place for ages. Had to book a month in advance to get a table on a Friday so it's clearly popular.

We were a group of 5 and shared a few entrees and mains, and I had the feijoa dessert.

Food, presentation, portions were all good. But I think you'd enjoy this only if you're not Indian. To me the mains and entrees tasted just like Indian home cooking (just better presented). Also I love spicy food but was not expecting everything to be so spicy...that was surprising for a fine dining place. I was also hoping for more components, complex flavours and textures in the entrees and mains. They are definitely made to be shared cause you'd get a bit bored eating a whole starter or main.

The amuse bouche of bhel and pani puri probably would seem more exotic too if you've never had them before. Of course they taste amazing but I eat it all the time (and these didn't taste any different) so I know that already :)

The desserts I wouldn't rate that highly (why were there coriander seeds in my feijoa sorbet...just didn't go. And the baked milk foam was wierd.. needed a flavour added to it).

I think they could have made an Indian dessert more fine dining, like hot jelabes with pistachio/kesar kulfi with some of deconstructed components, now that would be a winner.

So all in all, I was hoping for more fusion. But to be fair I've never been to a good Indian fusion place so maybe I should just stop looking...

Good work Sid, you seem to have found a niche in the market cause this place is clearly popular, but just not meant for someone used to good homecooked Indian food.

Reviewed 25 July 2017

Gutsy amazing food. The staff were very accommodating at altering the set menu to suit all of our dietary requirements. Beautifully presented dishes of incredible tastes. Lots of skill and passion involved.Very atmospheric.

Reviewed 23 July 2017 via mobile

The restaurant was packed and humming but was accommodated by the charming hostess / owner 'Chandni' with a seat on the bar and she very graciously offered a curry to go along with the otherwise dry lamb chops. Garlic naan was wholesome but could consume only half
Good value but missed the live Tandoor !

Reviewed 22 July 2017 via mobile

Some restaurants fall short if you are a vegetarian, but not Cassia, really steps up to the plate, and my wife, the vegetarian , was thrilled with the quality and variety of food she was served over 5 courses.
We had the five course tasting menu, $80 each. They were all excellent and a great introduction to food they serve in this top quality eatery. Courses: 1. Roasted beetroot, crime fraiche, black garlic, almonds. 2.Tandoori fish, smoked yogurt, macadamia, sorrel. 3. Lamb chops, cashew, dry korma, kumara. 4. Free-range pork, achari sauce, coriander. 5. Chocolate, coffee, mandarin, hazelnut. In addition, we were given a couple of additional small dishes we never expected. My only small negative comment was we felt the achari sauce over powered the pork, so left half on the plate. Other than that, delicious! The atmosphere was wonderful, the service excellent, just make sure you book a couple of weeks in advance - highly recommend, we will be back!

Reviewed 21 July 2017 via mobile

We'd read reviews on trip advisor and decided to try eating at the bar as they were fully booked- staff was friendly and made great recommendations. First, share everything! Starters were sumptuous bites of wonderful flavors. Cocktails were great - looked at their extensive wine list but did not partake. Main dish, we had duck, served with subtly spiced rice, had loads of sauce, the crisp skin incredible. They made a rainy night warm and cozy. Thank you! And yes, we really enjoyed the decor.