“Not bad but could be better”

Nomads Auckland Backpackers Hostel
Reviewed 21 September 2017

I booked a 4-bed ensuite dorm online and upon checking in asked if I could be in an all-female dorm but was told they don't do single sex 4-bed dorms, only 6-bed - but that there were none free. I didn't feel this was very good and since other hostels do single-sex 4 bed dorms, I was surprised that Nomads didn't. However I put up with it as I particularly wanted a smaller, quieter room and an en-suite bathroom. I did end up sharing with 3 guys though which wasn't great!

The room was okay - a bit cramped and not really enough space for everyone's suitcases, but the under-bed lockers were really good.

The bathroom was mostly clean. I did realise there was no sanitary disposal though which is just ridiculous! I went down to reception to ask for one and was told the ensuite bathrooms don't have bins. Sorry, what?! Not good enough at all. The receptionist did say she would mention it to the manager so hopefully this is something that will be fixed soon for future guests.

I didn't use the kitchen as such other than to make a cup of tea - but it seemed pretty cramped in there so I'm glad I didn't have to use it for cooking.

The outside deck was great - although 'harbour views' might be an exaggeration since there are so many buildings between Nomads and the water that you can actually only see a bit of it!

The biggest thing I found strange about this hostel was that there was no lift or ramp at the entrance. You had to go up 4 or 5 steps which is no easy task when you have a big suitcase!!

I booked to stay at this hostel because I have previously stayed in the Wellington one which I really liked. The Auckland one was somewhat disappointing in comparison.

Reviewed 19 September 2017

Please read fully.
Beginning with the room. We are two friends who stayed in a ten-bed dorm for two nights. The carpet was filthy and looked as if it was moldy. The beds were OK, but not all the sheets seemed clean. Throughout our stay you would notice a disgusting smell of worn out and sweaty clothes in the hallway. The showers were quite OK, but the toilets seemed to have not been cleaned in ages.
"Broken devices" is a topic on its own: In the bathroom was a hair dryer without any electicity wire --> obviously, it didn't work.
The Kitchen: only 50 % of the stoves worked (there are four of them, two inductive ones and two ordinary ones. Although its a quite a big hostel with more than 100 visitors or even more in winter, NomadsAuckland seem to ignore the fact that this amount is by far insufficient. Also, there wasn't a single towel --> you had nothing to wipe or clean the facilities or even dry the cutlery/plates --> everything was dirty and really unhygienic. The most spectacular thing was that from time to time there was no water in the kitchen. Eventhough you would turn on the tap, the water wouldn't flow.
Additionally to this disaster, the atmosphere was quite 'isolated'. Noone talked to anyone and you felt like in a public take-away shop, where noone cares about someone else's business. --> This hostel isn't fulfilling for people seeking international friendship.
Inside the hostel you could see signs saying "free wifi every day". However, you would only have access to it next door (so you have to leave the hostel and walk to the adjacent shop) and ONLY during opening hours. So no free-wifi in the evening in your bed, unless you want to pay for it....
Apart from that, the reception staff we met was super-friendly, albeit this does not make up for all the negative aspects we encountered during our stay.
Like this, we cannot and will not recommend this hostel to anyone! (and we also see no better prospects for the circumstances in the forseeable future.)

• Stayed: September 2017, travelled with friends
3  Thank William W
Reviewed 13 September 2017

I stayed in a room for 6 people. Room was clean, bedding was clean, bed was comfy. Duvet seemed to be pretty thin so when the night is cold you might get some extra blanket. I didn't use much facilities because I have data in my phone, I dine out so cant say much about kitchen, open space is pretty comfy and can always find some people to hang out. I didn't know about free drink that we have in a club outside the hostel so maybe party arrangement could be improve. Apart from that its pretty regular nice hostel in a heart of the town with a rooftop kitchen. not too bad guys !

• Stayed: September 2017, travelled on business
Reviewed 9 September 2017 via mobile

Probably one of the worst hostels I ever been to. The staff are rude and not willing to help, rooms are dirty and disgusting, showers and toilets unisex, kitchen doesn't really have anything working. The only good with this place is the location.

Reviewed 7 September 2017 via mobile

-No such thing as free wifi
-Nothing in the kitchen worked and the kitchen was too small for such a large hostel
- Got bitten by something in the sheets countless times ( not bedbugs)
- springs of the mattress stuck in between my ribs, so didn't sleep much

- good location which is something

Overall, plenty of other good hostels around, this wasn't one of them.