I booked a 4-bed ensuite dorm online and upon checking in asked if I could be in an all-female dorm but was told they don't do single sex 4-bed dorms, only 6-bed - but that there were none free. I didn't feel this was very good and since other hostels do single-sex 4 bed dorms, I was surprised that Nomads didn't. However I put up with it as I particularly wanted a smaller, quieter room and an en-suite bathroom. I did end up sharing with 3 guys though which wasn't great!
The room was okay - a bit cramped and not really enough space for everyone's suitcases, but the under-bed lockers were really good.
The bathroom was mostly clean. I did realise there was no sanitary disposal though which is just ridiculous! I went down to reception to ask for one and was told the ensuite bathrooms don't have bins. Sorry, what?! Not good enough at all. The receptionist did say she would mention it to the manager so hopefully this is something that will be fixed soon for future guests.
I didn't use the kitchen as such other than to make a cup of tea - but it seemed pretty cramped in there so I'm glad I didn't have to use it for cooking.
The outside deck was great - although 'harbour views' might be an exaggeration since there are so many buildings between Nomads and the water that you can actually only see a bit of it!
The biggest thing I found strange about this hostel was that there was no lift or ramp at the entrance. You had to go up 4 or 5 steps which is no easy task when you have a big suitcase!!
I booked to stay at this hostel because I have previously stayed in the Wellington one which I really liked. The Auckland one was somewhat disappointing in comparison.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Backpack in style at Nomads Auckland Backpackers Hostel. We're located in a beautiful historic building in downtown Auckland, near everything you need for your stay in this fantastic city. Come stay at our stylish, upmarket hostel in the central city, We have some female-only dorms as well as mixed dorms and private rooms! We have great facilities, with a friendly atmosphere and crew who will cater to your every whim. Our travel staff were hand-picked to ensure you will have a trip to remember!We're in an awesome downtown Auckland location, close to Vector Arena, Skytower, Viaduct Harbour, the train station and all the downtown shops - it's the perfect place to stay in Auckland. Our facilities include 24-hour reception, Global Gossip internet and Wi-Fi, and a rooftop kitchen with panoramic views of the city and harbour. We have free tea and coffee, free travel advice (no booking fees) and free 2-for-1 drinks vouchers at check-in. Hang out on our rooftop sundeck, communal kitchen or our lounge with Sky TV. Chill out in our free sauna and rooftop spa then head down to Fort Street Union Bar to meet travellers from all over the world. We put on free and cheap daily activities all around Auckland. FREE 30min WIFI each day. FREE Tea & Coffee FREE Sauna FREE Heated Spa FREE Travel advice (no booking fees) FREE/Cheap daily activities around Auckland ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Wotif.com, Ctrip TA, Agoda, Hooroo Pty Ltd, Hotels.com, HotelQuickly, Cancelon, TripOnline SA and lastminute.com.au so you can book your Nomads Auckland Backpackers Hostel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Nomads Auckland Backpackers Hotel Auckland Central
- Nomads Auckland Backpackers Hostel New Zealand