Please read fully.
Beginning with the room. We are two friends who stayed in a ten-bed dorm for two nights. The carpet was filthy and looked as if it was moldy. The beds were OK, but not all the sheets seemed clean. Throughout our stay you would notice a disgusting smell of worn out and sweaty clothes in the hallway. The showers were quite OK, but the toilets seemed to have not been cleaned in ages.
"Broken devices" is a topic on its own: In the bathroom was a hair dryer without any electicity wire --> obviously, it didn't work.
The Kitchen: only 50 % of the stoves worked (there are four of them, two inductive ones and two ordinary ones. Although its a quite a big hostel with more than 100 visitors or even more in winter, NomadsAuckland seem to ignore the fact that this amount is by far insufficient. Also, there wasn't a single towel --> you had nothing to wipe or clean the facilities or even dry the cutlery/plates --> everything was dirty and really unhygienic. The most spectacular thing was that from time to time there was no water in the kitchen. Eventhough you would turn on the tap, the water wouldn't flow.
Additionally to this disaster, the atmosphere was quite 'isolated'. Noone talked to anyone and you felt like in a public take-away shop, where noone cares about someone else's business. --> This hostel isn't fulfilling for people seeking international friendship.
Inside the hostel you could see signs saying "free wifi every day". However, you would only have access to it next door (so you have to leave the hostel and walk to the adjacent shop) and ONLY during opening hours. So no free-wifi in the evening in your bed, unless you want to pay for it....
Apart from that, the reception staff we met was super-friendly, albeit this does not make up for all the negative aspects we encountered during our stay.
Like this, we cannot and will not recommend this hostel to anyone! (and we also see no better prospects for the circumstances in the forseeable future.)
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Backpack in style at Nomads Auckland Backpackers Hostel. We're located in a beautiful historic building in downtown Auckland, near everything you need for your stay in this fantastic city. Come stay at our stylish, upmarket hostel in the central city, We have some female-only dorms as well as mixed dorms and private rooms! We have great facilities, with a friendly atmosphere and crew who will cater to your every whim. Our travel staff were hand-picked to ensure you will have a trip to remember!We're in an awesome downtown Auckland location, close to Vector Arena, Skytower, Viaduct Harbour, the train station and all the downtown shops - it's the perfect place to stay in Auckland. Our facilities include 24-hour reception, Global Gossip internet and Wi-Fi, and a rooftop kitchen with panoramic views of the city and harbour. We have free tea and coffee, free travel advice (no booking fees) and free 2-for-1 drinks vouchers at check-in. Hang out on our rooftop sundeck, communal kitchen or our lounge with Sky TV. Chill out in our free sauna and rooftop spa then head down to Fort Street Union Bar to meet travellers from all over the world. We put on free and cheap daily activities all around Auckland. FREE 30min WIFI each day. FREE Tea & Coffee FREE Sauna FREE Heated Spa FREE Travel advice (no booking fees) FREE/Cheap daily activities around Auckland ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Wotif.com, Ctrip TA, Agoda, Hotels.com, getaroom.com, Hooroo Pty Ltd, HotelQuickly, TripOnline SA, lastminute.com.au and Cancelon so you can book your Nomads Auckland Hostel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Nomads Auckland Backpackers Hotel Auckland Central
- Nomads Auckland Hostel New Zealand