“it's ok”

Ranked #64 of 113 Speciality Lodging in Auckland
Melbourne, Australia
“it's ok”
Reviewed 20 February 2012

I stayed there for 4 nights. I booked room in advance via internet, thanks to this I got free breakfast, otherwise u pay $7 for breakfast. Honestly breakfast doesn't worth $7.
I advice you to book a room via internet, u gonna get cheaper rate, then at the reception, even you are extending your staying, do it online!!!! I did it, and i got $10 off per night, it was special web offer.
U gotta pay for internet, for wi-fi password. Mcdonald and starbucks are just across the road with free wifi!!
I stayed in room without window, can't complain it was clean. I would appreciate more toilet and bathroom facilities at a floor.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled solo

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (109)
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 8 February 2012

For 60 dollars for one night with a double bed private dorm with an ensuite in central Auckland it was worth wearing thongs in the shower. Staff were average and I highly suggest not getting in the right elevator. It was good for a place to stay for one night at such a cheap price.

• Stayed February 2012
England
Reviewed 6 February 2012

My boyfriend and I stayed here as part of our package offered through BUNAC.
The smell of urine in the lift/elevator on the way up to the reception on the 3rd floor was the first clue that our stay would be unpleasant.
Next when we went to check in we were told our package only entitled us to a dorm room and that we would have to pay an upgrade fee! I told them that this was not the case and that we had been told we would be given a double room.
They reluctantly gave us a double room at no extra charge. We went to our room and pulled back the sheets on the bed only to find urine and faeces stains! I was disgusted!!!
We went straight to reception and demanded we be changed room, to which we were told someone would come and clean the room. This was unacceptable especially when it took over half an hour for anyone to come to the room.
After more complaints we were given a key to an en suite room with tea and coffee making facilities and a tv. This room was actually nice.
But i refuse to stay here again, I think it's hard to find a good value hostel in Auckland but please give your money somewhere else!

• Stayed June 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank bettyb20

Travellers are raving about these Auckland hotels

Middlesbrough, United Kingdom
Reviewed 29 January 2012

I stayed at the hostel for 6 days at the end of Jan. I booked three nights then extended my stay the following day, 2 weeks before arriving and emailed them to confirm (no reply). Anyway I got here very late and felt awful getting into my 4 bed dorm at 3:30am. Thankfully they were ok but the room was very cold. The airconditioning is on 24/7 and there is really no need for it in Auckland which I find rather cold compared to Australia.

Anyway I was in for a shock the next morning when I visited the showers, they were horrible. Most of the showers have no shower head just a pointed nozzle. I can only describe it as being jet hosed and was a thoroughly horrific experience. The showers are in a very bad state, the floors are dirty and covered with mould as is the roof and curtain. The door in one was beginning to rot. Worst of all the showers had a crappy push botton to operate them, they were a tad sharp and I actually cut a small part of my hand. The water flashed from hot to cold constantly. This really woke you up in the morning.

The rooms are ok and have lockers which is great. They are under the bed so don't interfere with floor space. Beds do the job and are comfortable enough. Anyway after my first three days I went up to mention to reception about my second booking as was told I would have to check out of one four bed and into another moving from the 1st to the 5th floor. This was ridiculous, further more I was told I would have to wait until 1pm to check back in. There is one member of the reception, Polly, who I have to say isn't very helpful. It may sound bad to highlight this here but for me it made no sense why she could not rejig the rooms and let me stay (which I seen other staff doing).

Anyway I went to the tv room to chill out until check out time and what a frustration that was. The second tv room had issues with the signal and constantly lost sections of the films showing must to the frustration of most of the people there.

The good points about the hostel are, it's very central to the city which means there is lots to do. Kiwi and airport buses stop directly outside. The Globe bar is awesome and a great night, the staff are lovely and they promotion guys constantly give out BOGOF vouchers which we usually had in bulk for our night out. The kitchen was nice and generally clean the the cookers were dangerous. Nothing to light the gas so people using paper etc and usually burning themselves.

Another point I want to make about the hostel is the lifts, they work on the 3rd and ground floor but otherwise just take the stairs they are horrible and the strangest elevators I have been in ever. Finally, the hostel talks about recycling lots which is great however the energy they consume by constantly freezing the rooms with airconditioning, flooding the entire building with light is very contradicting. The taps in the bathroom for guys on the 5th floor all leak and flow water constantly so they can't be that concerned about global warming.

P.S don't use the fridge in the kitchen near the radio, it is so cold it actually froze my orange juice and milk.

Room Tip: I would try for a room on the 1st floor
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled solo
QUEENSTOWN
Reviewed 27 January 2012

I was travelling with my fiance and when we arrived we were very lucky. We were asked if we were a couple and the lady on the desk gave us a free upgrade to a double room with an ensuite, fridge, TV, kettle with tea and milk. We were backpacking and were surprised but extremely grateful. The common areas were not too bad, 2 large TV rooms, area to read, the kitchen was large with plenty of utensils but got very crowded around certain times. There wasnt much space to sit down in the kitchen area either. Places for food bags were full up too. Good amount of washing machines although washing and drying expensive and usually had to dry clothes twice before they dryed. Good travel and job desks for helpful information. Also a great internet section, plenty of computers for everyone and Global Gossip which is pretty good value for money and used across NZ. We did spend and extra night in an 8 bed dorm it was a bit smelly, loud sleepers! The bathroom were a bit shabby. Also their downstairs bar was pretty good with drinks deals the bar is also underground so shouldnt cause loud pumping music into the night. Wasnt too busy when we were there but didnt really spend long periods of time in the hostel. Over all not too bad, we were just very lucky!!!!

Room Tip: Be smiley and polite and they just might upgrade you!
  • Stayed June 2011, travelled as a couple