Open today: 9:30 am - 5:30 pm
Review Highlights
Upgrading the facilities

It wasn't the best day for an outdoor outing due to the occasional showers but it was quite a good... read more

Reviewed 25 August 2021
Acineto
Auckland Central, New Zealand
Fun family outing

Took the kids here during the school holidays and they had a wonderful time at the zoo...its a nice... read more

Reviewed 22 July 2021

from USD 63.76
from USD 192.06
from USD 103.87
3,517 results
All reviews animal enclosures new zealand school holidays tiger meerkats kiwi kea exhibits auckland picnic species volunteers bird viewing outing cafes
Selected filters
Reviewed 10 July 2019

They really make an effort with the enclosures here. You get the feeling that they really go the extra mile for the animals. Easy to navigate and a lovely setting. Bit out of town but easy to get to. Try to avoid busy times if you can. Food can be a bit pricey so maybe bring a packed lunch.

Date of experience: May 2019
Reviewed 7 July 2019 via mobile

The zoo has surprisingly few animals compared to other zoos we have visited.
I.was expecting a lot more because in my mind NZ is all nature. Maybe animals are not that plenty in NZ.
Staff are friendly though and helpful with directions.

Date of experience: July 2019
Reviewed 6 July 2019

My daughter is 32yrs, my grandson is 16 months. Last time I was here as a family of 6, she was 2yrs old. My immediate impression was the traffic and parking, crazy. Just a random Saturday in June. I precooked so was easy entry. I hired a disability scooter made for a pleasure able afternoon. The zoo has changed in 30 yrs. theme parks. Was fantastic. The grandsons eyes were scanning the displays. Most enjoyable walk.

Date of experience: June 2019
Reviewed 6 July 2019

Some zoos leave you feeling sorry for the animals, but Auckland Zoo has a beautiful environment for their animals, with continual improvement appearing to be a focus.

It feels like you can get really up-close with the animals. Unfortunately the tiger was having a check-up when we were there, so it was disappointing not to see him. Surely there is more than one, so I am not sure why we did not see any?

On holiday from Australia, my kids asked why we were going - it's just a zoo. But afterwards, they were so glad that we went. We had a great morning there. Pricey for food etc - but you expect that if you go to these places, and if you are organised, take your own snacks and drinks.

Quite bendy and windy paths - but I don't think that you could avoid that with a place that is continually evolving. Unlike Taronga in Australia, it is pretty flat, so it doesn't kill you to walk around and see everything!

Date of experience: July 2019
Reviewed 3 July 2019

We loved the range of animals, the layout was good and having a few food trucks spread around grassy areas is a great idea! It was under construction when we went, so it was quite hard to find our way through to the other side as the main path was blocked, however the animals, layout and overall experience was fantastic

Date of experience: August 2018