“Great first impression of New Zealand!”
Review of Hilton Auckland

Hilton Auckland
Ranked #6 of 67 Hotels in Auckland
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
“Great first impression of New Zealand!”
Reviewed 19 September 2012

My husband & I traveled more than 40+ hours to get to Auckland from Philadelphia. Fortunately, the front desk representative allowed us to check-in at 6:30am so that we could start to catch up on some sleep! He was incredibly friendly & accomodating - made us feel instantly at home & comfortable.

The room overlooked both the harbor & the Auckland skyline - made for great pictures! The room was spacious, modern & sleek, yet airy and appropriate for being on the water.

Personally, the breakfast was the most impressive aspect of my stay. Usually when I travel, I barely eat because gluten-free options are very rare. Here, gluten-free toast & cereal was available and delicious! Each morning, I was excited to head down to breakfast because I could eat "normally" alongside my husband and enjoy the sunrise coming over the harbor.

Thank you Hilton for making such a terrific impression! I would love to stay with you again!

• Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank tallchick1978
CPHIAKL, General Manager at Hilton Auckland, responded to this review, 21 September 2012
Dear tallchick1978,

Thank you for posting your review of the hotel, I appreciate your feedback.

I was pleased to see you enjoyed your stay at the hotel and were able to access your room early after your long flight to NZ.

I was also delighted to see that you were able to enjoy your breakfast each morning with the choices available that met your dietary needs. There is nothing better than sitting back and enjoying breakfast and our great view of the harbour.

Thanks for choosing to stay with us and hopefully we may see you back on future travels.

Chris Partridge

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (520)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Czech first
  • Finnish first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
London
Reviewed 17 September 2012

Modern well appointed room. The service was excellent service. Great location downtown and on the water. It is less than five minute walk to one of the busy downtown streets but you feel like you are in a quiet area because it's on an avenue on the docks. I stayed here for four days on business and would be happy to return again. I highly recommend.

Room Tip: One side of hotel has water views. The other side looks directly at building across the street.
  • Stayed September 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank Pleasantjourneys
Dear Pleasantjourneys,

Thank you for posting your review of the hotel, I appreciate your feedback.

I was delighted to see that you enjoyed your 4 day stay at the hotel and that our hospitality and location met your expectations.

We look forward to seeing you back on future travels and thank you for choosing to stay at Hilton Auckland.

Perth, Australia
Reviewed 14 September 2012

We stayed three nights at the Hilton in a de-luxe harbour view room. The views from our room were very good and we enjoyed sitting on our seventh floor balcony watching the busy harbour below us. The room itself was large with a comfortable king size bed, desk, office chair and easy chair. It is equipped with a fridge, tea and coffee making faciliites and an iron and ironing board. The bathroom is spacious with a bath and separate shower and plenty of space for toiletries.
Our travel agent must have mentioned that we were celebrating a special anniversary as a bottle of champagne and a decorated plate of hand made chocolates were in our room when we arrived, which we really appreciated.
Reception and bell staff were friendly and polite and Gustav, the concierge, was extremely helpful.
However the food was a let-down. We did not eat dinner at the restaurant but did have breakfast there as well as a room service meal.
Breakfast is buffet style with an egg/omlette station. The omlettes were very good but the buffett dishes of bacon were empty when we went to get some. I pointed this out to staff, who should surely have been monitoring the dishes in the first place. The bacon was not replenished until after we had finished our omlettes and several other guests were unhappy at not getting their breakfast bacon. The scrambled egg dish was also empty and at least three guests complained about this as well.This is not what I would expect from a Hilton property.
As for the room service meal - my husband was happy with his minute steak sandwich but my burger was bland and tasted as if the chef had never heard of the word seasoning.
All in all, we would stay at the Hilton again - the room was good and the hotel's location near the Viaduct ( lots of restaurants and pubs) and the ferry terminal is excellent.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Ayalax
CPHIAKL, General Manager at Hilton Auckland, responded to this review, 17 September 2012
Dear Ayalax,

Thank you for posting your review of the hotel, I appreciate your feedback.

I was pleased to see that we were able to recognise your special occasion and I am happy that in general the hotel met your expectations.

I am sorry that you encountered some short comings in regard to breakfast and room service and I have shared your feedback with those responsible.

Thank you for choosing to stay at Hilton Auckland and I hope we may see you back on future travels.

Albany, New York
Reviewed 12 September 2012

The hilton is right on the dock, if you want a harbor view you need to check the cruise ship schedule. If you get it wrong you will be staring out your window into a cruise ship window for your stay. It appears that it the hotel is geared more toward business clients than vacationers. The views are nice when there are no ships in. The service is good, the rooms are nice, parking can be a pain. Overall a very nice hotel but the cruiseship spoiled our stay.

Stayed July 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank DeeQ_12
CPHIAKL, General Manager at Hilton Auckland, responded to this review, 14 September 2012
Dear DeeQ_12,

Thanks you for posting your review of the hotel follwoing your stay with us. I appreciate you feedback.

I was pleased to see that you enjoyed your stay at the hotel. I am sorry for the inconvenience caused by a ship mooring outside the hotel.

Reviewed 9 September 2012

Hotel location is great, but taxis don't go Ll the way. Should be easier accessible. But the largest problem is the 30 NZD per day for Internet connection (per device!!!). So I will spend 240 usd (iPhone and laptop) on my 5 days here - that is completely insane and not friendly for business travelers at all! Very disappointing for a hotel at this price! Also there is only on restaurant and they only serve sea food - come on! That's also a bit too little to offer!

• Stayed September 2012
1 Thank Frederik_Ha
CPHIAKL, General Manager at Hilton Auckland, responded to this review, 11 September 2012
Dear Frederik_Ha,

Thank you for your review of the hotel, I appreciate your feedback.

I was pleased to see that in general you enjoyed your stay at the hotel. I am sorry that your taxi did not appear to have dropped you off at the hotel entrance, this is rather unusual as taxis normally are able to make their way up the wharf with no problem.

I have noted your feedback regarding internet. At the moment charging for internet is standard across most city hotels. Hilton Hhonors Gold and Diamond members do receive complimentary access as a benefit however.

Thank you for choosing to stay with us and we hope to see you back on future travels.