“Quick, friendly and delicious ”
Review of Jack Tar

Jack Tar
Ranked #189 of 2,439 Restaurants in Auckland Central
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Reviewed 6 April 2018 via mobile

Walked past this place looking for somewhere to eat for dinner.. this was the busiest so we thought it must be good.
Got seated straight away, drinks ordered and food ordered quickly. Staff very attentive and friendly. Kids were given colouring packs which is always a bonus. Food was delicious!! Would come again!!

Reviewed 6 April 2018 via mobile

I was staying in town from Chch and met up with my Sister and her husband and my Brother and his family.
Nice walk down the viaduct to a nice location.
Was seated quickly and were talking for some time... my husband and my sister's husband both went up to the bar as we had not had a server take our drinks order....
just before they came back with drinks the server asked if we would like any drinks...after way too long I thought.
ordered after another 15 mins. did not watch the tome as it was good to catch up after many years apart.
food arrived in twos - we were unsure if we should start as others were still waiting...
after 5 of us had food we started as it was starting to get cold. then over the next 10 mins the other three came out extremely slowly.
Food was fantastic though.
drinks were being refilled once we had food... The ferry was just outside and we believe they were emptying thier toilet waste while we were there, as the smell was not appropriate for a place serving food but after a few minutes of fanning the napkins is slowly dissipated.
It was a great night with great people

Reviewed 2 April 2018

Stopped in here on Easter Friday for lunch. Place was not overly crowded yet service was extremely slow (over an hour wait) and the food was average at best. The staff said they were extremely busy and hence service was slow, but judging from other reviews here, slow service is more the rule than an exception. Also, it's very unsanitary to have birds flying around in the kitchen. The last thing I didn't like was that they upsold us very expensive bottled water when we asked for water. If they had asked we could have specified tap water.

Yet the ambience was nice and it's nice to wonder around the neighborhood too. Staff (when we saw them) was very friendly.

joannawilliams, General Manager at Jack Tar, responded to this reviewResponded 5 April 2018

Thank you for your comments. Please accept my apologies for your experience on Good Friday. We had an extremely busy Easter weekend. We can often have a hundred or so customers sit down within a 10 minute period, which I'm sure you can appreciate does put the kitchen under immense pressure. Being based in a large shed with many large open doors, it is difficult to keep birds out at all times. Please be assured we are very conscious of birds flying inside and do everything we can to scare them out. Our standard practice is to bring a large enamel jug of tap water to every table upon arrival, along with the menus. Many customers do also order bottled water, and I apologise if you were somehow not provided with a jug of water when you arrived.
We're are pleased you did enjoy the ambience and our friendly staff, and we hope you might return to have a more enjoyable experience.

Reviewed 31 March 2018 via mobile

We enjoyed our meal, however our starter garlic bread was quite cold and arrived only just before our main meal. We had to ask the waiter where it was as it took nearly an hour to arrive. Drinks were also very slow. On the upside the Fish tacos and fish and chips both very tasty.

Thank you for taking the time to share your comments. Please accept my apologies for the wait you had for your starters and drinks. I will be addressing this with my staff. I am pleased you enjoyed the fish tacos and fish and chips, and we do hope to welcome you back.

Reviewed 29 March 2018 via mobile

We often call in on a Wednesday evening for the saxophonist and a bottle of wine. Great location and helpful team. On this occasion decided to have a light meal. We both love the ubiquitous seafood chowder and Caesar salad. Both offerings arrived a little too quickly and Jack Tar's versions are average to say the least. My Caesar had all the right ingredients but lacked body and volume and looked underwhelming. My wife's chowder looked good and full of fish but tasted "powdery." Next time, just stick to the jazz and wine. Sadly, waterfront locations often not the best places to eat as they do not have to try and many customers are tourists who don't come back!

Hi Ian, Thank you for your comments, we do appreciate feedback and take it very seriously. We are pleased you enjoy our Wednesday evening music. I am sorry that you did not enjoy the food you ordered. Ironically, we have many customers who return specifically for our Seafood Chowder, so I will discuss your comments with our chef, as I hope this was a one off. We do pride ourselves on our food and do enjoy a large regular customer base, so would really like to encourage you to dine with us again. Perhaps you could call me on 027-274-4708 to discuss this further. Kind regards Jo (GM)