“Our First Stop off the Plane”
Review of cocoro

cocoro
Ranked #145 of 2,360 Restaurants in Auckland Central
Cuisines: Japanese
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Description: New Restaurant
Reviewed 5 May 2017

Each time we arrive in Auckland our first stop is always Cocoro for lunch. It's amazing. My first recommendation off the menu is the spaghetti with clams. My husband LOVES this dish. The flavour is light and balanced and perfectly matches the fresh clams. My favourite dish is actually vegetarian. It's the spinach salad with fresh wasabi. I also always order the veggie roll which is a mixture of fresh vegetables and tempura ones. It's excellent though a little hard to eat in just one bite. It's a BIG roll! Also be sure to check out the different specials. Currently, my husband always orders the fresh oysters and the bluefin tuna. There are other great sashimi and sushi platters available as well. The service is excellent and we love the complete selection of sake, Japanese beer as well as whiskey. And if you know your whiskey, you'll enjoy the reasonable prices. I highly recommend Cocoro!

Reviewed 16 April 2017

So this was voted best speciality restaurant in 2016 - WHY ???
The service was good without being exceptional and the food was just average although the presentation of the degustation was lovely. There are so many great modern Japanese restaurants in Auckland that I would prefer to go to e.g. Azabu in Ponsonby. Cocoro was very expensive for the small amount of food in the degustation - $98. There was nothing innovative about the degustation and then the lamb cutlet was very over cooked. Overall given their rating verrrrrry disappointing. I would not go back.

Reviewed 1 April 2017 via mobile

We were in the city a few weeks ago and popped into Cocoro for a spontaneous celebratory lunch. As always, every aspect of our dining experience (from the moment we arrived until the time we stepped back out into the sun) was profoundly satisfying and beautifully rendered.

From the very first time I dined at Cocoro it was abundantly clear, that for me this is the very best restaurant in New Zealand by a distinct margin. From the warm and genuine welcome to the quiet and diligent calmness of the kitchen, this establishment exudes authenticity, humbleness and a faultless and shared comitment to excellence that is simply breathtaking.

The bluefin tuna sushi was astounding in its fatty deliciousness, as was the 'just cooked' teriyaki chicken sushi. The sashimi was world class and very clearly showed why it takes so many years to truly master the art of cutting fish. The beef tataki was elevated to 'out of this world' status by the addition of slivers of perfectly ripe Nashi. The pork belly was easily the very best pork either of us had ever eaten and prompted us to immediately order another serving.

Every plate is assembled with a painter's eye for composition and a finely tuned and delicately nuanced sense of both flavour and texture. Each element is judiciously chosen to enhance the central ingredient of each dish. Nothing detracts or overshadows - harmony reigns. In fact if I had to choose one word to describe the food at Cocoro, it would be 'harmony'.

It is significant testament to the calibre and professionalism of the front of house staff, that this sense of harmony is reflected so clearly in the service. It is such an immense pleasure to enjoy such thoughtful, intuitive and impeccable care.

When it comes to serious dining I am not easily impressed, yet on my sixth visit I have no difficulty in again awarding a ten out of ten! It is easy to spend a great deal of money at Cocoro, however no matter how hefty the bill, it never seems high enough to adequately reward the truly collaborative and sustained efforts of this small, focused team towards consistently achieving excellence.

Reviewed 26 March 2017 via mobile

We reserved for dinner at Cococo upon reading good reviews and we were very impressed also.
The tasting menu had 7 courses and they customized one course for my husband , who doesn't care for lamb The sashimi/sushi course was presented in a beautiful lacquer box and was excellent as well as creatively beautiful. My lamb chop was wonderful and we finished with a beautiful sake based desert
The restaurant is elegantly modern and our young Japanese servers were very attentive
It was a wonderful experience!

Reviewed 10 March 2017 via mobile

After hearing that Manu off MKR had visited and rated it as one of the best had been too we just had to try it.
Degustation was delicious, classic Japanese brilliance with a modern twist.
Staff are attentive but not intrusive. Decor and atmosphere is classy but relaxed.
Wine list is extensive and has something for everyone.
Can't wait for another visit to try more.