All reviews welcoming hosts sue bedroom accommodation kitchen
Reviewed 21 January 2017

I spent two iChat's at Mairenui in January 2017. I was in the Manuatu to fish, and the guide recommended it. What a terrific find. David and Susan are gracious hosts on a wonderful property high up in the region. Sue's dinners feature homemade entrees and desserts, the latter featuring fruits grown in the garden. David offers lovely wines paired with the mains, and aperitifs on the porch in the early evening are a great chance to unwind, visit with other guests and enjoy the end of the day. The room I stayed in was very comfortable, with an en suite bathroom complete with a sunken tub and plenty of hot water, which I needed after a rugged day chasing trout. This is a gem of a property, highly recommended.

• Stayed: January 2017, travelled solo
SweetSueNZ, Owner at Mairenui Rural Retreat, responded to this reviewResponded 5 February 2017

Thank you so much for your super review! We did enjoy having you to stay and hope that maybe we'll see you again one day.
Best wishes,
Sue & David

Reviewed 7 October 2016

This was possibly the highlight of my holiday coming here, we only stayed one night and i didn't want to leave the next morning, the house has so much character and was warm and cosy, loved that it had a record player and some really cool records to listen to, What an awesome place to come and stay, i'll definately be back for a much longer visit next time. :)

• Stayed: October 2016, travelled with family
Reviewed 26 June 2016 via mobile

People who prefer nature to busy cities will enjoy alot.
Plenty of outdoors activities even pétanque ...
Sue is a wonderful cook, she likes french food, good cheese etc ... and David always offers some good wine during dinner .
Just love The place ❗️❗️❗️
Sue And David are my friends since my First stay at Mairenui, 1997 I guess ... I came back three times, sent friends of me ...
Always a great stay ✨✨✨

Stayed: August 2015, travelled solo
Reviewed 22 June 2016 via mobile

Was awe by the interior of the Villa upon checking in. Comes with around 4 rooms which can sleep up to 10 people easily.

I was drowned by the rustic and serenity of the 100 years old Villa and the surrounding. Despite isolated from the outside world, the villa is well equipped with kitchenette and heater. Throughout our stay, we didn't spot any insect despite being in the wild.

The house is decorated with some historical photos that depict the awesome age of this house.

Will definitely come back again during summary as there is no farm activities during winter season.

Oh yah Pls expect no mobile reception in that area.

Stayed: June 2016, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 30 March 2016

We stayed at Mairenui Villa for 3 nights to get away and have a "nothing to do at all" break. The Villa was just the break we needed. It was beautiful and idyllic. Sue greeted us on arrival and walked us through the restored Villa. My husband and I had a lovely few days sitting on the verandah gazing across the farms and hills, listening to the birds and the sheep and the horses. Well recommended get away. Thanks Sue and David you will see us again

Stayed: March 2016, travelled as a couple